Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I thought he was very good yesterday.

Amazing how us fans see things that are the same very differently.  I guess that’s the joy of football with opinions and debate.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Amazing how us fans see things that are the same very differently.  I guess that’s the joy of football with opinions and debate.

I’m along with you one of his biggest critics but I felt overall his performance was good. Finishing par for the course but his all round game was better than it has been in his second season with us.  

we do need someone who will take more of the chances they get though especially at the big moments of the game.

But ££££££££££££££££

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I’m along with you one of his biggest critics but I felt overall his performance was good. Finishing par for the course but his all round game was better than it has been in his second season with us.  

I have three buckets I judge Ollie on…

1) workrate - always top notch

2) finishing - generally misses

3) other

1 & 2 are always a given for me so I judge performance on 3 and I thought yesterday was just below average hence why I’ve been critical.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He was. Numerous times I exclaimed well done Ollie as he controlled a difficult hoof off Olsen on his chest or his hip as Matip was trying to ragdoll him

Ollies problem 6 months a year ago was he wasn't finishing chances but he wasn't holding the ball up either.

He was really good yesterday.

We will struggle to sign a striker that does what Ollie does, and bangs in 1 in 2 , and out performs is XG.

If we can get that striker, whoever he is , then brilliant

At 2-0 down yesterday I knew we would score and Ollie knew he would get chances. 3 in 15 isn't good but I'd back him to get near his PB of 14 come the end of the season. He's hitting form and I can see a few braces in some good fixtures coming up.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

we do need someone who will take more of the chances they get though especially at the big moments of the game.

But ££££££££££££££££

Not always pounds, good scouting can pick up good players for a smallish fee. For instance Man City bought Julian Alvarez for £14.1m, if Villa had bought him I have no doubt that many would have moaned because they knew nothing about him.

9 hours ago, messi11 said:

What's the level of striker up a level from Watkins then?..... Name me them 

I don’t have the answers, hopefully Emery does though.

For a start, it would be great to have a striker who doesn’t hit one on ones straight at the keeper. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He was, but not for a striker. 

Grealish made his game, look where Grealish is crossing it and score. Now he has numerous players passing the ball in the box, Watkin's cannot compute this. He was even facing the wrong way when a player headed the ball to him yesterday. Hates a tackle/challenge, an never seems to risk the run into the box unless he knows he's going to get the pass.

Best we can do, is try and intergrate Ings into the squad as a starter and the target man, or we need a 50 mill+ striker, if not we will stay a boring midtable team.

Ings when he scored 22 for Southampton had a conversion rate of 60% from shots on target. Same as Haaland has right now for ManC. Watkins first 2 seasons he was at 30% but now he is down to 17%. 

Last season he only had 31 shots on target. He already has 18 this campaign. So just from the volume increase he will better his goal total from the last campaign. If the coaching staff can get him back to a 30% conversion then he easily hits 15 goals this season. 

I threw out those numbers to show that Ollie is definitely wasteful in front of goal. His best PL season is the average conversion rate for a PL striker. Having said that, if we can get him to a 40% conversion given his ability to generate shots on target (top 10 in the PL) we will get our 20 goal striker from Ollie. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Ings when he scored 22 for Southampton had a conversion rate of 60% from shots on target. Same as Haaland has right now for ManC. Watkins first 2 seasons he was at 30% but now he is down to 17%. 

Last season he only had 31 shots on target. He already has 18 this campaign. So just from the volume increase he will better his goal total from the last campaign. If the coaching staff can get him back to a 30% conversion then he easily hits 15 goals this season. 

I threw out those numbers to show that Ollie is definitely wasteful in front of goal. His best PL season is the average conversion rate for a PL striker. Having said that, if we can get him to a 40% conversion given his ability to generate shots on target (top 10 in the PL) we will get our 20 goal striker from Ollie. 

So he’s gone from 30% to 17% but you are thinking about 40% 😳  also given his goals I’m assuming his first season is carrying most of that 30% rate.  The problem is that he doesn’t naturally look like a finisher, never has, so hoping for a 40% conversion rate seems like a mathematical idea than based on any realism.  If we can find a space for him in the team but also buy a finisher, it would be better.  Trying to fix something he doesn’t have in his locker seems a fruitless exercise.

16 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Statistically he has got worse every season. Fact

Of course this season hasnt finished  yet so he can still top that but lets see. I think he wont be automatic starter come feb when i think minimum one striker comes  in

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Statistically he has got worse every season. Fact

Of course this season hasnt finished  yet so he can still top that but lets see. I think he wont be automatic starter come feb when i think minimum one striker comes  in

In fairness for about 11 months he was playing under captain negative.

His stats under Smith and now Emery are unsurprisingly much better

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness for about 11 months he was playing under captain negative.

His stats under Smith and now Emery are unsurprisingly much better

The thing is though he is still missing easy opportunities. There is only so much you can blame managers before its actually the player himself.

I just cant see him being able to deliver double figures each year

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The thing is though he is still missing easy opportunities. There is only so much you can blame managers before its actually the player himself.

I just cant see him being able to deliver double figures each year

In 2 seasons he has hit double figures for us and I think just 1 penalty. Will probably again this season with the way we are playing

Maybe Son and Mane before are the only players consistently hitting double figures while not taking penalties

For example last season Kane scored 13 goals if you remove penalties, Ollie got 11

Â