Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Probably because Ings isn’t suited to a lone striker role, typically.

To play the lone striker role you usually need to have a good physical presence, able to challenge well for aerial balls and be prepared to run yourself into the ground chasing long balls into the channels.

None of those are strengths for Ings in my view.

But ings played as lone striker at Southampton? I dont think he was given enough opportunities up there tbh

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Probably because Ings isn’t suited to a lone striker role, typically.

To play the lone striker role you usually need to have a good physical presence, able to challenge well for aerial balls and be prepared to run yourself into the ground chasing long balls into the channels.

None of those are strengths for Ings in my view.

I think Ings work rate is much underrated and the other qualities are outdated. I fear though that Gerrard feels the same way.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

We need to be careful not to overhype him as he'll just end up getting more abuse when he does miss chances like this, which he did plenty of times for Preston. One game I watched he missed 3 like that or easier.

He's certainly a far more instinctive finisher, has a better first touch and is impressive with both feet though.

I think there will be more patience with Archer as he’s young. Watkins is 26, and will turn 27 my mid-season. He is on very limited time to improve and become a premier league footballer. There is a legitimate expectation that Watkins can finish one on ones…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

We need to be careful not to overhype him as he'll just end up getting more abuse when he does miss chances like this, which he did plenty of times for Preston. One game I watched he missed 3 like that or easier.

He's certainly a far more instinctive finisher, has a better first touch and is impressive with both feet though.

Also very true.

1 minute ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

Well this is the thing, I don’t think he’s worth what we paid for him. I’m sure by todays over inflated prices he could well go for more. But personally I’d be amazed if we got £20M for him. 

Double that, easily. 

• Like 1

25 goals out of 72 games for us = 34.72%, i.e. better than a 1 in 3 strike rate for us, thats pretty good considering what we paid for him. What is frustrating with Watkins is that he works so damn hard and gets himself in really good positions which too often is then ruined by poor finishing. However I think he offsets this by burying enough goals for us to make a difference, he can definitely improve aspects of his game and with better finishing he could get 20 in a season. Happy he is a part of the team and backing him to get more than the 12 he got this season

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

You’re probably right. Personally, I just don’t think he’s worth it. 

With Gabriel Jesus going to Arsenal for £45M, I would feel completely ripped off paying £40M for Watkins 😂

If this site is correct then Ollie outperformed Jesus on Goals to XG: https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/47/stats/season/16390/players/expected_goals/premier-league

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Heung Min-Son. What a player. Outrageous stats. 

Vardy and Son are head and shoulders. Both wonderful players. 

Having seen that stat for Ollie though - he’s holding his own against some very good strikers there. Although he can undoubtedly improve, I’d like to see our chance creation improve this season to up that xG. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Vardy and Son are head and shoulders. Both wonderful players. 

Having seen that stat for Ollie though - he’s holding his own against some very good strikers there. Although he can undoubtedly improve, I’d like to see our chance creation improve this season to up that xG. 

His previous year was very impressive.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’ve noticed this a few times with him especially in one on one situations. 

not just one on ones. the number of times he shoots from distance and smacks it against a defender two yards in front of him is nuts

9 minutes ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

Jesus played fewer games and got more assists tbf. I know which one I’d rather have in the team 

Fewer games or not he was statistically less clinical.

Â