Academy General Topic

smetrov

Trai'varn Mulley looks an interesting player that seemingly came from nowhere, I hadn't even heard of him other than knowing we had a player called 'Trai' who I presumed was a DM, but is actually an attacker, then scores twice and gets an assist in about four games worth of footbal lplaying an age up for the U18s, he looked decent watching him play at the U17 Cup in Egypt as well.

I think he's an U16, if correct should be named amongst the new scholars, presuming we offered him a deal and he accepts.

• Like 1

Kaden Young and Travis Patterson Id imagine, purely based on them being 1st team subs towards the end of the season. Doubt they'll play in the season proper, but Id imagine we'll see them in pre-season.

Might even see Sinisalo if we give Emi an extra week or so off

52 minutes ago, romavillan said:

How many academy players might be involved in our pre-season with the first team? How many might step up to fill out the squad and get games in the cups?

I would guess if fit AJ Tim and the keepers plus a few of the outstanding 2nd year scholars like Kellyman Patterson Rowe and Young.  Dont know when JJ and Archer would be coming back if they go all the way in the england u21s 

Rowe won't be first year scholarship age until next season, whether with us or Chelsea who he's strongly linked to. But if he does sign his scholarship with us then he's one that might not be far away from first team training.

Was hoping that signing Jimoh if that goes ahead would help convince Rowe to stay, as they know each other well from WBA days, but if we lose just Rowe and gain Jimoh then I suspect we won't have done too badly.

Edited by useless

On 20/06/2023 at 00:12, useless said:

Rowe won't be first year scholarship age until next season, whether with us or Chelsea who he's strongly linked to. But if he does sign his scholarship with us then he's one that might not be far away from first team training.

Was hoping that signing Jimoh if that goes ahead would help convince Rowe to stay, as they know each other well from WBA days, but if we lose just Rowe and gain Jimoh then I suspect we won't have done too badly.

From what i can see if everyone accepts contracts then we will have an incredibly talented intake of first year scholars

Brannigan and Moreland who both play for Northern Ireland i think are coming

Then Jimoh McWilliams Proctor Rowe and Broggio who have all played for England at u16 . In fact Jimoh plays an age group up.

Thats 7 youth internationals to add to the 6 that came in last season who will be 2nd year scholars

Kellyman   Wilson   Kadan Young, Patterson , katskunya and Simpson.  Then you add players like Luka Lynch and Mulley who are highly rated as well and you have the makings of a really good youth cup team. 

Yes presuming that we keep most of them, then this will probably be our most talented bunch of first year scholars since the FA Youth Cup winning team, and can add next season's U16s like Woody Burgess, Alfie Lynskey, and Vincent Haywood to those too, in fact I think we will have close to a team's worth of U16s capable of playing an group up, and there are usually two or three U15s capable of playing a couple of age groups up.

Whether it will translate to success on the pitch as a team I don't know, but as individuals there seems to be a lot of promise there.

• Like 1

In advanced talks to sign Rico Richards from West Brom once his contract expires, per Football Ins*der (who, for all the crap they make up, are weirdly reliable at academy level). Believe he was linked in a throwaway line in a Jimoh to Villa article a few weeks ago.

Would Rico Richards be considered as too old to join our academy?

I mean, I know he's only 19, but he's a couple of months older than Jhon Duran and in Academy terms he's nearing the end of his youth football journey - I'd be sort of expecting him to join a first team set up somewhere in the pyramid at this point in his career.

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Would Rico Richards be considered as too old to join our academy?

I mean, I know he's only 19, but he's a couple of months older than Jhon Duran and in Academy terms he's nearing the end of his youth football journey - I'd be sort of expecting him to join a first team set up somewhere in the pyramid at this point in his career.

I imagine it’ll be similar to Azaz. We’ll sign him, but he’ll go straight out on loan to League Two. That’s my guess, anyway. 

• Like 1

Mark Harrison knows these players from Albion inside out . So if he does take Rico on then i guess it might be an Azaz situ . Probably still speaks to him and his family. He was a star in the making but as always with Albion kids they just fade away. I dont think they have the best coaches at 16 to 18 level like we do so they don't kick on. Emery said it when he joined that our youth coaches are superb. This is a zero risk signing with a big upside. 

On 25/06/2023 at 19:26, OutByEaster? said:

I'm still not sure we've actually gained anything from the Aziz transfer other than helping keep the loans thread exciting.

It's a punt for a trivial amount of wages, and so far it's on track to be a surprise success. Still lots of time for it to go wrong of course, but the point is it was a reasonable and cheap punt. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's a punt for a trivial amount of wages, and so far it's on track to be a surprise success. Still lots of time for it to go wrong of course, but the point is it was a reasonable and cheap punt. 

I can see how it would be, but I'm not convinced that we're seeking a fee for him. Hopefully it works out that way.

I think it was signing day yesterday for the new scholars, so hopefully get some news on that soon, I guess new signings will their own seperate announcement first, hopefully some news on Jimoh in the coming days.

• Like 2

Â