Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

4 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

Tottenham showed more nous than us i.e. cynically fouling our players to stop attacks, whereas we were a bit too nice. In the first half we lacked a second defensive midfielder and were overrun in midfield so the Barnes substitution made sense. It was a shame to concede the second half goals when we did as we were starting to take control, but no complaints overall as they had the better chances. Great effort and application by the lads as always.

Encouraging performances from some of the younger players - Lynch, Edwards, Young and Wilson, and also Feeney looked good as he often does. The one player I want to see more from next season is Kerr Smith. He has a high ceiling with good physical and technical attributes but needs to work on his defending if he is to progress.

Yeah maybe a bit naive in the darker arts than spurs. Still though we showed we've got some decent talent. Optimistic after watching that. Hard to say who will make it and who not but watching and thinking about the youngsters on loan we're giving ourselves a really good chance to bring through 2 or 3 JJ's in different positions. Can't ask more than that from the academy really. Especially after they've just made us a £100m on Joe Gucci.

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

How was Wilson? Seems to score all the time, does he do anything else? 

Makes runs , sees things so quickly and always in the right place at the right time. Good assets to have. Might get caught out as he gets older like Louie Barry has as he isnt the quickest or strongest. But football brain is right up there. 

• Thanks 1

Better team won it - Spurs are organised, technically good and make very few mistakes - there's not a lot of flair, but they defend well and break with pace and athleticism. Very much the modern Spurs way.

We did okay, it was good to see Rory Wilson with another poachers goal - I thought Kerr Smith was very good, Feeney and Munroe not far behind - but although Alcock battles hard, we really miss a presence in the middle of the park. This will be a valuable experience for these young lads and they'll be back better for it next season. Nothing to be ashamed about in tonight's performance.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah maybe a bit naive in the darker arts than spurs. Still though we showed we've got some decent talent. Optimistic after watching that. Hard to say who will make it and who not but watching and thinking about the youngsters on loan we're giving ourselves a really good chance to bring through 2 or 3 JJ's in different positions. Can't ask more than that from the academy really. Especially after they've just made us a £100m on Joe Gucci.

Out of those lot who played tonight i think Wilson Kellyman Young Lynch Patterson Rowe and Edwards are all eligible for under 18 football next year.  Next year we will have players like Woody Burgess Ben Broggio Proctor and the 2 coming from Northern Ireland Brannigan and Moreland  to join them. 

There is starting to be what they hoped . A conveyor belt of talent. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Better team won it - Spurs are organised, technically good and make very few mistakes - there's not a lot of flair, but they defend well and break with pace and athleticism. Very much the modern Spurs way.

We did okay, it was good to see Rory Wilson with another poachers goal - I thought Kerr Smith was very good, Feeney and Munroe not far behind - but although Alcock battles hard, we really miss a presence in the middle of the park. This will be a valuable experience for these young lads and they'll be back better for it next season. Nothing to be ashamed about in tonight's performance.

They did look far more of a team. Dont know how their set up works but do they keep al their players in the u18s or bring some up to the u21s like we do.  

Midfield is an issue this season as you say. All seem more talented going towards the opponents goal. 

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Midfield is an issue this season as you say. All seem more talented going towards the opponents goal. 

I think going forward from midfield Omari Kellyman will be a monster next season, but we lack an Iroegbunam or a Bogarde to cover behind him and bring it out from the back.

Game changed when Kellyman went off. Was an excellent game and the Spuds fans made plenty of noise. My lad really enjoyed his first game at VP and even said the words Trophiless Tottenham. (I didnt even teach him that)

They had two chances in 2nd half and scored both. Some cynical tackles by them too. Overall probably the best team won but we have some brilliant youngsters.

But I don't blame the Kellyman 

Edited by Talldarkandransome
  • Like 1

We've still got Cayden Bennett and Theodore Carroll to come through from the U16s as central midfielders, both will be first year U18s next season presuming they're offered and accept scholarship terms with us, not really sure how good they are other than highlights, but both play in that six/eight area of the midfield, Carroll is usually U16 captain when Rowe not playing.

There's also a younger central midfielder we signed from Coventry, again only seen highlights but from those brought to my mind Iroegbunam and Chukwuemeka, in terms of build, and similar qualities on the ball, I know he has been offered scholarship a couple of years early, so seems we rate him highly as is usually the case with players we've gone to the bother of taking from another team's academy.

Albion are pretty good at finding these midfield powerhouses, Iroegbunam has obviously done very well, Jamaldeen Jimoh England youth regular will likely end up at a 'top four club' before he's old enough to sign scholarship terms this summer, has been heavily linked to Chelsea and Man Utd, Kevin Mfuamba, England U17 international and being linked with a move away as well, he's one I've wondered that we might go for as similar profile and in a similar situation to Iroegbunam before we signed him, they've also got Amihere Idrissa Dauda who can play defence or midfield, capped by Italy U15 recently and apparently wanted by England.

I think intention is to play like first team, so we will want two midfielders to play similar role that Luiz and Kamara play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Simpson has had a few injury issues this season, so we've been managing his game time, also have to take into account that he's younger than most other players in his age year, if he was born just over a month later he wouldn't even be old enough to sign a scholarship until this summer, he's probably closer in age to more of next season's first year scholars than he is this season's, so still very young even by the standards of a player coming to the end of their first season as a U18.

I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of him next season, and just been named in Scotland's U17 squad for the Euros this summer.

• Like 1

Alfie Lynskey, skilful attacking midfielder, U15 that's already been playing a couple of ages up for our U18s, has been called up to Ireland's U16 squad for tournament in Slovakia next week.

Speaking of West Brom players there's a rumour on their forum that we've paid £1m for another one of their youths, normally wouldn't read too much into that as they're always paranoid about losing players to us for obvious reasons, but it's come from poster on there who I've seen has had  knowledge on their/our academy previously, so maybe one to look out for.

Of course could be nothing to it, but either way will be interesting to see who we do bring in.

Edited by useless
Edited out speculation on individual players but if anyone I think more like to be one of their current pre-scholars that will be first year scholar next season.
  • Like 2

On 06/05/2023 at 20:26, useless said:

Speaking of West Brom players there's a rumour on their forum that we've paid £1m for another one of their youths, normally wouldn't read too much into that as they're always paranoid about losing players to us for obvious reasons, but it's come from poster on there who I've seen has had  knowledge on their/our academy previously, so maybe one to look out for.

Of course could be nothing to it, but either way will be interesting to see who we do bring in.

1 Million that's crazy money. He better be good. 

On 05/05/2023 at 19:51, useless said:

Alfie Lynskey, skilful attacking midfielder, U15 that's already been playing a couple of ages up for our U18s, has been called up to Ireland's U16 squad for tournament in Slovakia next week.

What a name for the terraces....

Alfie Lynskey, runs like Nijinsky

• Like 1

Â