Johan Lange

hippo

8 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Absolutely amazing the amount of destruction Gerrard did in a year. 

Getting rid of almost every winger in the club to play a system the players didn’t fit and wouldn’t work in the prem. 

El Ghazi, Traore, Trez probably aren’t good enough but to ship all of them out! Maddening.

In some ways, I can’t even fully blame Gerrard. Should have never received the carte blanche he got from Purslow.

This is where I struggle to blame Lange. I can't see him being this stupid. I can with Purslow because he was lost in Stevie G's eyes.

I do think Lange probably wasn't strong enough against it, but it ended up happening anyway. If you're told to provide for a manager, and a manager wants XYZ, you try give him XYZ.

The big push should have happened with an actual manager in position. Gerrard never had the credentials to be allowed to overhaul like that.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2022 at 19:35, momo said:

What are people expecting? Unearthing the next CR7? New Messi? The buys are good, they were bought to follow Gerrard's style of play. It's like people here forgets that every team in all the big leagues has their own Lange, their own statistical team, their own moneyball model. Without Lange, Aston Villa would be 10 years behind instead of being on an even field with the rest of the Premier League.

No, but the next Dan Burn, might be good.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This is where I struggle to blame Lange. I can't see him being this stupid. I can with Purslow because he was lost in Stevie G's eyes.

I do think Lange probably wasn't strong enough against it, but it ended up happening anyway. If you're told to provide for a manager, and a manager wants XYZ, you try give him XYZ.

The big push should have happened with an actual manager in position. Gerrard never had the credentials to be allowed to overhaul like that.

Definitely not aligned from top to bottom. It's all speculation, but the combination of transfer strategy + evidence on the pitch + quick firing of Gerrard + Nas hiring Unai.

They need to buckle it down at BMH.

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

And paid 3M for him!!! For a back-up keeper at Sheffield United who couldn't get anywhere near the Roma squad.  Almost criminal.

Also signed Ludwig Augustinsson 🙈 

Lange needs to go

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

And paid 3M for him!!! For a back-up keeper at Sheffield United who couldn't get anywhere near the Roma squad.  Almost criminal.

Also signed Ludwig Augustinsson 🙈 

Lange needs to go

• 1 month later...

The notorious liars - football non insiders claim that langes position is under review as the ownwrs are not happy with the progress of alot of the signings under him.

Its porbably bollocks but if it did happen that would be two failure sporting directors not very good. I personally thjnk we should be looking to poach brentfords sporting team as they seem to sign some talents for peanuts and make big profits on them or make them stars

30 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Should be sacked for Olsen alone

Yep sacked for the 2nd choice goalkeeper

Genuine question who should lower mid table Villa with no European football have signed as 2nd choice keeper?

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Yep sacked for the 2nd choice goalkeeper

Genuine question who should lower mid table Villa with no European football have signed as 2nd choice keeper?

Agreed He did what the manager wanted. Gerrard wanted international experience Lange gave him that.

I think he is good at brokering deals but there doesn't seem to be a plan for short medium or long term squad building - all seems a bit random.

That said, we don't know how much of it is driven by the manager or Purslow, so can't really blame lange unless we know how much input he has on that side of things. I got the impression that Gerrard was the one pushing certain players, rather than the board/recruitment team. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Â