Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There is just no way Brighton are going down.

Well coached under Potter.

have conceded 3 goals from poor defending even the James wondergoal was poor defending. you were crying for days when United scored a similar goal a few weeks back

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

have conceded 3 goals from poor defending even the James wondergoal was poor defending. you were crying for days when United scored a similar goal a few weeks back

Brighton the better side.

Should be winning.

Incredibly lucky Frank.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brighton the better side.

Should be winning.

Incredibly lucky Frank.

Chelsea  have scored more goals than Brighton have had shots on target, if only Brighton had a quality forward

• Like 1

The first round of matches has gone well for us with lots of teams who are likely to be, or might be, our rivals in the bottom half losing: Fulham, Southampton, Leeds, West Ham, West Brom, Sheffield Utd and hopefully Brighton too. That's like a little headstart for us.

It's intriguing that five of the seven home teams have lost (with only Liverpool and Palace winning at home). It may well be six out of eight by 10pm with Brighton currently losing too.

1 minute ago, robby b said:

The first round of matches has gone well for us with lots of teams who are likely to be, or might be, our rivals in the bottom half losing: Fulham, Southampton, Leeds, West Ham, West Brom, Sheffield Utd and hopefully Brighton too. That's like a little headstart for us.

It's intriguing that five of the seven home teams have lost (with only Liverpool and Palace winning at home). It may well be six out of eight by 10pm with Brighton currently losing too.

Yep. No home advantage until the crowds are back. Don’t think it will help the weaker clubs at all. Saying that Liverpool definitely missed the crowd on Saturday. 

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep. No home advantage until the crowds are back. Don’t think it will help the weaker clubs at all. Saying that Liverpool definitely missed the crowd on Saturday. 

We could have done with fans for next Monday. I'd have tried to be one of them if coronavirus hadn't come along! It's been too long since we beat the Blades, boo. :< Well I know it wasn't last season or the one before, I think it was the one before that, 1-0, maybe a last-minute Snodgrass wonder goal. Was that the one? 

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There is just no way Brighton are going down.

Well coached under Potter.

They always seem to be in games against the better teams but don't tend to get many shock results like us.

Just looked at their record last season. Away defeats at Man. United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Man. City and 0-0s at Wolves and Leicester. Beat Spurs 3-0 at home and also did the double over Arsenal but then we beat them at the end of season.

Potter is decent coach but I'm not convinced he's miles better than DS otherwise they'd be finishing much further ahead of us in the league given they've been in it since 2017 and spent a decent amount of money in that time. What they do have is a more stable defensive base to build on.

Finished 6 points ahead of us last season, would be disappointed if we can't close that gap.

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

We could have done with fans for next Monday. It's been too long since we beat the Blades, boo. :< Well I know it wasn't last season or the one before, I think it was the one before that, 1-0, maybe a last-minute Snodgrass wonder goal. Was that the one? 

Sure was. The 3-3 was a cracking game though and must have felt like a defeat for them.

• Like 1

I have only seen him a few times, but I'm not convinced by havertz? I'm sure he's an incredible talent, and I'm sure some of you who watch more European football will laugh at me, but I'm yet to see him have a good game!

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I have only seen him a few times, but I'm not convinced by havertz? I'm sure he's an incredible talent, and I'm sure some of you who watch more European football will laugh at me, but I'm yet to see him have a good game!

I saw him live 18 months ago and was probably the best individual performance by a player live, absolutely ran the game from centre of the park in a must-win game for Champions League. They won 5-1 away and he got 2 goals

38 minutes ago, robby b said:

We're still a top half team, yes! Just. Let's enjoy that while it lasts (until next Saturday).

Interesting that there wasn't a single draw on opening weekend.   That's got to be pretty unusual.  That's why we're still top half.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

pretty sure they were the first prem team with a starting XI that featured no English players too. 

I think that accolade went to Harry Redknapp at West Ham. Pretty sure he had a few Romanians in there. 

As for tonight, great result for wolves, will they stay fit throughout the season. Not seen tonight but I’d still expect Shef Utd to be a tough ask for us. After losing today’s they’ll come out the blocks firing 

• Like 1

Â