The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Its only right I say this as I am that word removed who always says it, not to you @bickster . Its a club named The Cavern Club, its not The Cavern Club. Its The Drifters, its Gwar, Its a tribute act. 

You call that gwar? this is GWAR:

priest beefcake GIF by GWAR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Can you give me a background on this please 😁

Mr B famously likes the Beatles. Part of the whole Beatles religion is their time gigging at The Cavern Club.

So the Cavern Club closing due to the lack of Beatles tourism, is a thing.

Except that Cavern Club isn’t really the original venue anyway, it’s a plastic relocated replica, a club name, not a location.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Mr B famously likes the Beatles. Part of the whole Beatles religion is their time gigging at The Cavern Club.

So the Cavern Club closing due to the lack of Beatles tourism, is a thing.

Except that Cavern Club isn’t really the original venue anyway, it’s a plastic relocated replica, a club name, not a location.

And don't get me started on the new Eric's

• Like 1

Low volumes of sales for several months will skew these figures, it’s also a very clunky tool if you try to think there is a single grouping for Aberdare, Monmouth and Swansea Bay, but Feb to August:

EfcpInRWsAEwYhN?format=jpg&name=large

The Japanese economy has shrunk at its fastest rate on record as it battles the coronavirus pandemic.

The world’s third largest economy saw gross domestic product fall 7.8% in April-June from the previous quarter

Link

and we managed -20.4% for the same period.  We’re absolutely going down the toilet when the impact of Brexit comes in fully to add to the shit storm.

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Kosovan trip to Gibraltar... Postponed... 16 minutes before kick off.

Didn’t they do the same last week with an Irish side? Cancelled the game like an hour before kick off or something like that?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Bitter sweet news for me this week. After 21 weeks of waiting I have been called back to work,

The sweet bit is obvious I have kept my job while 60 around me have been made redundant I have been £600 a month worse off and can see and end to the waiting and hoping.

The bitter is that I have been asked to run the night shift. Never done nights and really dont fancy it. But at 62 I have kept my job 

Congrats on holding on to your job. I've done a few night shift jobs in the past. Its not all bad, but does leave you feeling like a zombie most of the time!

• Thanks 1

RE: The Cavern Club. It's mostly made of brick, but as someone who used to work in fire H&S, wow that place is a f'ing deathtrap if there's a fire.

I'm really worried about the cost of the virus. The bailout wasn't that expensive in the grand scheme of government finances (conjured money converted to bank stock eventually sold at a £20bil loss over 8 or so years). But this is gonna be truly expensive. Like world war expensive. 

Edited some things oit

Edited by VillaJ100

42 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

RE: The Cavern Club. It's mostly made of brick, but as someone who used to work in fire H&S, wow that place is a f'ing deathtrap if there's a fire.

My mate was bragging earlier about getting 5 and half grand from the government today when he's been working through the crisis. Another woman I know worked as a mobile hairdresser but had like a 4 hour shift in asda too. She went full time there and claimed for lost money from hairdressing... they've never been so well off.

I'm really worried about the cost of the virus. The bailout wasn't that expensive in the grand scheme of government finances (conjured money converted to bank stock eventually sold at a £20bil loss over 8 or so years). But this is gonna be truly expensive. Like world war expensive. 

Is it? I'm unconvinced. Germany just extended their furlough scheme to 24 months

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

My mate was bragging earlier about getting 5 and half grand from the government today when he's been working through the crisis. Another woman I know worked as a mobile hairdresser but had like a 4 hour shift in asda too. She went full time there and claimed for lost money from hairdressing... they've never been so well off.

My brother in law also a tradesman has never been so busy. He’s got his dad (retired) helping him now as people spend money on there houses rather than holidays. He’s also claimed the free money dished out by the government. He’s got more money than he’s ever had.

Would it have been too much to expect that grants to tradesmen went to those who weren’t/couldn’t work?

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

HS2 needs the chop. It's mind bogglingly expensive, much more than bailing out everyone's wages to date.

Yep, something like £35 Billion so far for furlough.

HS2 will be well over £100 Billion, some predictions nudging over £125 Billion.

That gives a bit of perspective on the value for money of a train between two fixed points, versus a zoom conference.

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, something like £35 Billion so far for furlough.

HS2 will be well over £100 Billion, some predictions nudging over £125 Billion.

That gives a bit of perspective on the value for money of a train between two fixed points, versus a zoom conference.

It should have had the chop already.

It wouldn't be that some chums are in for payouts on completion of early stages, would it?

So they'd be paying bundles of our cash for builds we know are white elephants already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

It should have had the chop already.

It wouldn't be that some chums are in for payouts on completion of early stages, would it?

So they'd be paying bundles of our cash for builds we know are white elephants already.

We’ve learned over the last few months that big business can operate remotely in many cases. So there’s even less incentive to build a ludicrously expensive trainline to save 40 minutes as the journey isn’t even required anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

So there’s even less incentive to build a ludicrously expensive trainline to save 40 minutes...

They wish it was 40 minutes! :D

Ministers have been accused of exaggerating HS2 benefits to passengers as some journeys will be speeded up by less than half the time suggested in a new report.

Torygraph

It's an open ended money hole for the Tory Filth's chums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I sold some more stock today. I want to be cash ready if we get another crash. 

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Nah, no chance.

Boris Johnson’s dad has received a multi-million pound compensation deal over HS2 after being forced to sell his home in North London

https://metro.co.uk/2016/03/09/boris-johnsons-dad-receives-multi-million-pound-payout-over-hs2-5742573

However, it seems "forced" is more than a stretch of the truth with regards Johnson Sr.

Those who apply have to prove they have tried and failed to sell their homes - with no offers within 15 per cent of the realistic asking price for three months.

They also need to show they have a compelling reason to move. 

One of those to successfully use the scheme was Boris Johnson’s father Stanley, 74, who sold his London home for £150,000 more than the original asking price under “Need to Sell”. 

He had needed to move to be closer to an elderly relative. However, other neighbours have been refused permission to move.

Of 335 applications received under the scheme, just 145 have been accepted, and only 83 properties bought. 

The Government bought Mr Johnson’s grade II listed Nash house in Camden’s Park Village East for £4.4 million in March 2016.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/843344/HS2-Stanley-Johnson-Boris-Johnson-father-government-scheme-homes

Â