The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

19 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I'm fundamentally against gravy on fish as a matter of moral, traditional and culinary principle.

However, this one goes further still beyond any sort of acceptable norm by having 'gravy' that appears to be a pale brown paste.

It's like a serial killer who is worse than most because he does unspeakable things to the bodies after the murders - it's bad to start with, but this is just beyond my understanding of what could possibly be acceptable.

You've ruined my day.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm fundamentally against gravy on fish as a matter of moral, traditional and culinary principle.

However, this one goes further still beyond any sort of acceptable norm by having 'gravy' that appears to be a pale brown paste.

It's like a serial killer who is worse than most because he does unspeakable things to the bodies after the murders - it's bad to start with, but this is just beyond my understanding of what could possibly be acceptable.

You've ruined my day.

It actually looks more like curry sauce (without bits in it) than a gravy.

• 1 month later...
On 16/01/2023 at 16:15, SuperTed said:

spacer.png

Chicken and Waffles, anyone? 

I often go to the Duck and Waffle in London  , crispy duck leg , fried duck egg, mustard maple syrup on a waffle  

its probably the only breakfast item as good the smoked salmon and sausage sandwich combo I often make for breakfast 

Image_112x.2e16d0ba.fill-866x866-c100.jpg

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 24/02/2023 at 09:06, Wainy316 said:

As long as it doesn't have sweet sauce or syrup on then yeah I think that'd be ace!

Well the sauce was a honey mayo and there’s syrup underneath that and it was lovely! Although I had a Bloody Mary with it and it came with a piece of streaky bacon in it, which I thought was too much 😂

On 24/02/2023 at 09:29, tonyh29 said:

I often go to the Duck and Waffle in London  , crispy duck leg , fried duck egg, mustard maple syrup on a waffle  

its probably the only breakfast item as good the smoked salmon and sausage sandwich combo I often make for breakfast 

Image_112x.2e16d0ba.fill-866x866-c100.jpg

That looks splendid! Although I’ve just seen it’s in Bishopsgate and it’s £8 for a bowl of porridge 🤯

Edited by SuperTed
Spelled bowl as bowel, thanks Blandy

8 hours ago, SuperTed said:

That looks splendid! Although I’ve just seen it’s in Bishopsgate and it’s £8 for a bowl of porridge 🤯

Yeah you pay for the view as it’s 42 floors up and for it being in London 

• Shocked 1

• 4 weeks later...

Moved from the baby eaters thread.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I take it all back. Any party with dedicated trains for transporting much needed gravy to the people is of course the best. But then again, they want to stop this, according to their latest slogan. Funny lot.

603567.jpg

On the search for "mmm gravy train" (obviously, why not?), I stumbled upon this absolute gem.

img_2412-1.jpg?resize=640,480&ssl=1

Cleethorpes: All Aboard The Gravy Train

You remember how I was threatened with execution on my visit to Cleethorpes last year? Well I was so taken with the friendliness and quirkiness of this delightful resort that I decided to go back on the last football-free Saturday of the summer. I recently took the difficult decision to resign from my position of Match Secretary at Chasetown (the pull of Blackpool was just too strong – and I can’t be in two places at once on a Saturday), so I wouldn’t be returning to Clee during the 2019/20 season – and I needed my Clee fix.

At New Street station, I skipped my usual visit to M&S for food, as I wanted to fully savour my chippy tea that evening at my absolute favourite chippy of all time – Steels Cornerhouse Restaurant. Indeed this chippy was the main purpose of my visit this weekend. You know I love my chippy tea – and the food here really is that good. In fact, Steels has spoiled every other chippy for me, as nowhere else even comes close.

I contemplated the menu I know not why – because I knew exactly what I was going to have. I never was one for ordering the same thing off a menu – I love a good variety of food – but when something is as exquisite as the haddock, chips and gravy at Steels, it makes absolutely no sense to veer from it. And so it was ordered.

My food came and I was sure I had ordered the mini haddock and chips but this fish was enormous! What do they put in the water around here? I poured my gravy over my chips – and over my fish, which is a new thing for me, but I find it really enhances the flavour. I tucked in and my goodness it was every bit as good as I remembered – in fact it was even better!

‘Is it all right?’

It’s so good I want to cry! It’s amazing!

Now it was time to see if the people of Clee had softened towards the concept of gravy since my last visit here, when GravyGate saw me gain town-wide notoriety and almost saw me run out of town. I tweeted a photo of my fish and chips smothered in gravy. The response?

‘OMG Jane, what a fantastic idea?

Honestly, if it didn’t work, it wouldn’t be a thing. And it is a thing and it’s bloody lush! Try it, folks – you might like it. I suspect part of the problem might be the lack of availability of good quality gravy. But the gravy at Steels is exquisite so, if you’re going to try it anywhere, try it there (or the Saddle Chippy in Blackpool, which also does good gravy, which really complements their haggis and chips).

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â