Great players who were crap at Villa

KentVillan

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Mata is lightweight but had a wonderful career.

Nothing wrong with them. But they need support around them to be effective and play in the right system.

Precisely.....but we seem to fill our teams with them.....where is the steel in our midfield?

thats why i talk about our unbalance....,theres many who have had illustrious careers, but as you say they play in balanced teams.

12 hours ago, Silent_Bob said:

Michael Boulding was crap. But he was a great talent. In tennis though.

And what about the 'Next Pelè' - Nii Lamptey. Crap here, but great in Championship Manager.

Doesn't he average a goal every 2 games for villa? 

20 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes he never did much after leaving us. Too lightweight. First time I realised he wasn’t up to it was when Newcastle overran us 

the game he was played out of position and every player was a disgrace?

1 hour ago, baldivisvilla said:

Tommy Craig from Newcastle. Would'nt say he was a geat player, but was highly regarded. Did SFA for us.

I remember him scoring two cracking free kicks in one game. It's funny how them players from the seventies looked really old even in their twenties. 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 21:02, EastEndVillan said:

Guy Whittingham is one that springs to mind. Scored for fun at Pompey, couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo when he got here. Didn't we swap him for Talys?

He was one of them players who never looked right in a Villa shirt. That should have been the title for this thread. Players who never looked good in Claret and Blue. 

55 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He was one of them players who never looked right in a Villa shirt. That should have been the title for this thread. Players who never looked good in Claret and Blue. 

Djemba-Djemba

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Marcus Allback, anybody ? All I can remember him for is his blonde hair. 

Don't you remember his goals against Chelsea and Sunderland that basically kept us up that season?

• Like 3

On 21/05/2020 at 18:26, VillaJ100 said:

Jean Makoun. He really could play but just never fitted in. 

It was a bit of a lost midfield at the time. Gerard Houllier was trying to phase Petrov out a bit so we signed in that January Makoun and Michael Bradley. Makoun struggled with the pace at first (indicated by all the yellows he got for being slightly late in tackles) and had some off field family issues but he showed enough in the games to suggest he could be a good player by start of next season. Bradley hardly played but did well in Italy after the loan wasn't extended.

We were in a relegation battle so went with Reo Coker every week even though he was going to leave on a free transfer.  Stan would also get seriously ill within the year. We weren't to know that of course but he was 32 by then so needed to be replaced soon anyway.

It was the odd thinking that summed us up around that time and lead to us finishing the next season with likes of Chris Herd as regulars. Delph, Makoun and Bradley would've been a decent midfield if we hadn't panicked and given it time to breath.

On 28/05/2020 at 04:17, maqroll said:

Milan Baros 

Was Baros ever that good at club level out of interest? He was always pretty average at Liverpool. Hardly did anything at Lyon compared to Carew, scored 0 goals in 12 games for Portsmouth when they had a very good team and from age of 27 was playing in the Turkish league. That's without taking into account his underwhelming spell for us.

seemed to have built his reputation on playing well at euro 2004.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was Baros ever that good at club level out of interest? He was always pretty average at Liverpool. Hardly did anything at Lyon compared to Carew, scored 0 goals in 12 games for Portsmouth when they had a very good team and from age of 27 was playing in the Turkish league. That's without taking into account his underwhelming spell for us.

seemed to have built his reputation on playing well at euro 2004.

He has played 22 seasons and still playing, his 8 goals at Villa was one of his better seasons

His reputation was huge before he joined Liverpool but never lived up to it

I'm going to throw in a player who was excellent, maybe not "great" but then turned into an absolute liability....Gabriel Agbonlahor! All of it for Villa of course but it kind of fits the bill as if you imagine his early career form for us you would sign him up, but imagine if we had done so & we got Gabby MK11.... That is kinda what normally happens to us.. we buy the players when their former club has realized they are arriving at Gabby MK11 stage of their career. We been suckered into it a ridiculous number of times over the years.

Others i can think of

Savo Milosovic, was deemed as a great striker at his former club,

Ross McCormack .. Erm what on Earth was he all about?

Marlon Harewood.. Shocking

Again none of them greats but in their own way were highly rated for the level they were in or had potential that was apparently going to emerge.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I'm going to throw in a player who was excellent, maybe not "great" but then turned into an absolute liability....Gabriel Agbonlahor! All of it for Villa of course but it kind of fits the bill as if you imagine his early career form for us you would sign him up, but imagine if we had done so & we got Gabby MK11.... That is kinda what normally happens to us.. we buy the players when their former club has realized they are arriving at Gabby MK11 stage of their career. We been suckered into it a ridiculous number of times over the years.

Others i can think of

Savo Milosovic, was deemed as a great striker at his former club,

Ross McCormack .. Erm what on Earth was he all about?

Marlon Harewood.. Shocking

Again none of them greats but in their own way were highly rated for the level they were in or had potential that was apparently going to emerge.

I'm always sad to see Savo written in these contexts because I loved him at Villa.  Yes, we expected more given his reputation back at his old club but he still had a good career at Villa scoring 29 goals in 90 appearances, which is a 1 in 3 game ratio and I will always remember him fondly.  Another that went on to have better personal career outside Villa scoring wise with 38 goals in 72 for Zaragoza, 9 in 31 at Parma for example....an overall career of 197 goals in 476 games at some very good clubs.  You cant argue with that for a career, so I'm sad people put him on this list because I dont think he was crap at Villa, just not quite as great as at other clubs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm always sad to see Savo written in these contexts because I loved him at Villa.  Yes, we expected more given his reputation back at his old club but he still had a good career at Villa scoring 29 goals in 90 appearances, which is a 1 in 3 game ratio and I will always remember him fondly.  Another that went on to have better personal career outside Villa scoring wise with 38 goals in 72 for Zaragoza, 9 in 31 at Parma for example....an overall career of 197 goals in 476 games at some very good clubs.  You cant argue with that for a career, so I'm sad people put him on this list because I dont think he was crap at Villa, just not quite as great as at other clubs.

Also he was only 22 when he joined. Still a young lad in a new country, having to settle and learn the language. He did well considering. 

He is also Serbia’s joint second all time goalscorer. 

• Like 1

Â