Great players who were crap at Villa

KentVillan

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Also he was only 22 when he joined. Still a young lad in a new country, having to settle and learn the language. He did well considering. 

He is also Serbia’s joint second all time goalscorer. 

we've also havent had style icons since....Man U had Beckham, we had Savo and Sasa............🤣

savo and sasa.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Savo was mainly inconsistent that was his biggest problem

Not really from my memory and even looking at his stats it's fairly consistent.  His problem was he never could make that next step.  He looked like he had it in his locker just never could make it.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/savo-milosevic/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/7896/plus/0?saison=&verein=405&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Savo and Yorke were a great combination. Savo may have missed a few sitters but scored a number of belters. he had a great touch for a big man. Similar to a lot of players from his country. Technically very gifted. . 

• Like 2

His finishing was hit and miss. He however did link up very well with Yorke and could drop off and link up with midfield.

Think he hit double figures in all three prem seasons and also scored a few big ones in the Uefa run so yes we've had loads worse value strikers than Savo in last 20 years.

Was much better for us than bleeding Baros anyway.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

This is a toughie: we’ve had players who we signed and their careers were never the same. Then again, we’ve had players who have been awful and then gone on to better things, but I don’t know how many of them were great. We can’t be talking about players like Pires or Ginola who turned up when it was clear they were past their prime. 

i suppose Veretout and Gueye were awful for us and turned out to be v good elsewhere, but they’re hardly Mbappe. 

I suppose we expected much of Baros and it just didn’t happen. Then when he moved on he was decent again, but ‘great’?

I’m struggling...maybe it’s the word ‘great’?

On 30/05/2020 at 11:15, nick76 said:

we've also havent had style icons since....Man U had Beckham, we had Savo and Sasa............🤣

savo and sasa.jpg

Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Curcic turn out to be some nutjob hardcore militant fanatic or something??

(Allegedly....)

Edited by StewieGriffin

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

Might be a tad early but you can probably throw Pepe Reina into the mix. 

Yes if he returns and carries on making fundamental errors and we get relegated then he gets the no.1 spot for this thread in my view

On 31/05/2020 at 08:49, AVTuco said:

Tonev.

And please don't try to tell me he wasn't great elsewhere. I've seen the tapes. On YouTube.

Only player in YT history to actually look total shite even on his highlights reel.

• Like 1

Going back a bit, maybe not quite great but Hadji had played well in Spain, scored for Morocco in 98 world cup and had also been pretty good in his two seasons at Coventry. Pretty baffled by the lack of impact he made here considering our main playmakers at the time were both well into their 30s when he joined, Merson and Ginola and Gregory was trying to get Ginola out (Merse also left us by end of that season). He was still here in 2004 which is incredible as I can hardly remember any games he played under Graham Taylor or O'Leary.

Was excited by us signing him but he just faded into the background.

Edit: Won African player of the year award in 1998.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

The greatest player that was absolutely toilet for us has to be Robert Pires. Once one of the greatest midfielders in the world, but for us, a complete passenger.

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

I was surprised by an earlier mention of Patrick Berger. He wasn’t really a world beater before he joined us but I thought he was actually pretty decent at times. 

He was injured loads. Was actually here 3 seasons but would be surprised if he featured in more than 10 games in any of those seasons. Was fantastic in the odd game like Sheffield United 3-0 which summed to pretty much get him an extension for 07-08 season when again he rarely featured.

Â