Chuck the lot in a pot stick it on the heat wait for the chicken to go white

Cook it a bit longer

Stick your microwavable rice in the microwave for 2 minutes

**** the lot onto a plate

Serve and enjoy

Can also be served with 2 or 3 slices of bread so you can make curry sandwiches

I used to quite enjoy them, I mite make one soon just for old times sake

I've come a long way since them dark days

Just knocked together a quick curry, no **** about no measuring I've just **** a load of ingredients into the bowl and added stuff as I needed, quite nice as well

Sometimes on the spontaneous curries are the best, you can measure ingredients perfectly and sometimes it can taste well...a bit...normal, by just chucking a **** load of stuff in the results can be pretty good man

Yes.  Though you do need balance as well.  I still have memories of a curry I made years ago, where for some reason I ended up with about 15 times the amount of cumin I needed.  I think I can taste it still.

beef stroganoff

Eating right now, slight adaptation of that recipe, in that I'm using sirloin because I had piece going spare and wild mushrooms? like I can be bothered with that so replaced with chestnut ones.

The lemon zest certainly adds something to it

Just down Severn Sisters Road where I am, there's this amazing Greek veg market. I've been saving a bit of cash here and there by going veggie, but only with veggie stuff that really 'works' if you get my meaning - not 'substitute'. Some giant portabellos and a handful of chestnuts got me into a stroganoff mood. A mix of hot and sweet paprika, sour cream, garlic and onions with those mushrooms came out pretty well.

beef stroganoff

Eating right now, slight adaptation of that recipe, in that I'm using sirloin because I had piece going spare and wild mushrooms? like I can be bothered with that so replaced with chestnut ones.

The lemon zest certainly adds something to it

Just down Severn Sisters Road where I am, there's this amazing Greek veg market. I've been saving a bit of cash here and there by going veggie, but only with veggie stuff that really 'works' if you get my meaning - not 'substitute'. Some giant portabellos and a handful of chestnuts got me into a stroganoff mood. A mix of hot and sweet paprika, sour cream, garlic and onions with those mushrooms came out pretty well.

You're lucky to have something like that handy.

If you want to try going veggie for a while, there's nothing better than a combination of the recipes of the Eastern Med and living where you can get the raw materials.

None of that stuff is about veg pretending to be meat.  It's just great food in its own right.

That's where veggie stuff really shines, when it's just great food. Must say, I wouldn't have thought the eastern Med (though culturally and historically, I'm now thinking "duh!") would have so much to look at. One of the advantages around Holloway is that it's the Greek/Cypriot/Turkish area...with Stamford Hill nearby I can also get plenty of Jewish stuff too, or Iranian ingredients from Finsbury Park.

Just knocked together a quick curry, no **** about no measuring I've just **** a load of ingredients into the bowl and added stuff as I needed, quite nice as well

Sometimes on the spontaneous curries are the best, you can measure ingredients perfectly and sometimes it can taste well...a bit...normal, by just chucking a **** load of stuff in the results can be pretty good man

Yes.  Though you do need balance as well.  I still have memories of a curry I made years ago, where for some reason I ended up with about 15 times the amount of cumin I needed.  I think I can taste it still.

I can believe that! As nice as a bit of cumin is in many dishes, it is one of the least forgiving spices when over used. I much prefer cumin when it subtly adds to a blend of flavours; definitely not the primary taste!

• 2 weeks later...

Been messing around a bit with chilli recipes and this one turned pretty good. I used to live in Texas and because of their influence I don't use kidney beens anymore and everything's a bit more BEEFY! I added chorizo cos I had some knocking around and I tell you what, works amazing in chilli.

500kg beef
3 inches chorizo
3 large chillies (whatever type you can get your hands on. If you can add a bit of variety or want more than 3, go for it)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 large white onion finely chopped
4 garlic cloves (minced)
3/4 teaspoon coriander (dry)
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
2 teaspoons chilli powder (I only use 2 because the one I've got is incredibly hot, so if you want more then go mad. And again, a bit of variety is better but you certainly get more varieties of chilli powder in the States than you do in Blighty)
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cornflower + ½ cup of water
½ litre beef stock
1 can passata (odd I know but I've found that using passata in stews and curries etc actually makes it a bit thicker. If you prefer to have tomatoes knocking around, use a can of chopped tomatoes)
2 tablespoons (ish) soy sauce
salt

Directions:

1) Brown beef + chorizo + onions together in pot
2) Add all ingredients except cayenne pepper, flour+water and soy sauce
3) Simmer 30 minutes
4) Add cayenne pepper. Mix flour and ½ cup warm water together. Add to chili and stir well. Simmer for 30 mins
5) Add soy sauce. Simmer for another hour
6) Add salt if needed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok chefs, I'm cooking for a lady tomorrow.

I can cook a little bit, but I'm no chef, so I need a simple but impressive meal to make for her :D

Obviously I'll have a flick through this thread, but if anyone has any nice suggestions it'd be appreciated 

What does she like/ not like

That's the problem, I'm not really sure.

I know she likes fish, so that's an option :)

I think I'm better off thinking of something to cook then asking her if she'd be ok with it? If you get what I mean

Get a couple of salmon steaks and bake them with new potatoes (boiled then chucked into the pan) with cherry tomatoes and finish it with pesto and lemon juice. Ridiculously simple, but the flavours work really well.

Then if you need more veg, green beans are perfect.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Nothing worse than cooking a nice meal man and she doesn't eat it ......

Yeah what I mean is I'll think of something, then tell her "I fancy cooking Salmon steaks with new potatoes, that ok with you?" and see what she says.

If she don't like it, then I'll cook something else.

It's not a surprise or anything. Doesn't even have to be anything fancy.

Just something that says "Oh shit, this guy can cook too? He's basically the perfect man. Oh look, my pants are off"

Â