What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Alright Shillzz I'm trying your salmon recipe today, it's marinating at the moment. I think zest and juice of one lemon might be too much though, it's incredibly sour (half a lemon would have been sufficient I think). I added some more soy and honey to try to offset it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Alright Shillzz I'm trying your salmon recipe today, it's marinating at the moment. I think zest and juice of one lemon might be too much though, it's incredibly sour (half a lemon would have been sufficient I think). I added some more soy and honey to try to offset it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Top stuff Shillzz, this is delicious. So easy to make as well. I won't put as much lemon in next time, but will definitely be doing it again.

I found the same thing with the lemon. I added more honey to counter it. Also thought it was a bit garlicy so would probably use less than a clove next time.

Of course this was all before I totally **** it up.

• 2 weeks later...

945954_10151779289979738_1123579783_n.jp

Christ peeling soft boiled quails eggs ......FML

Yes, it's a pig of a job.  But don't leave it there, man!

What's the story?  What dish are they for?  How do you cook them, hold them soft boiled, and serve them warm later on?  Is it really better doing them in bulk at the start of service rather than as required later on?  Or were they all needed right there and then?

Sorry man I used them for a starter I was doing ....will take some more pics the w/e 

But I cooked them by sticking a pot of boiling water on the heat to a rapid boil then pour it on to the eggs back on to the heat for 1.5 min for really soft eggs 2 mins for medium cool in iced water for ten mins then chill 

I went 1.5 as I did a version of a scotch egg using black pudding instead of just sausage meat ....so you have to remember they will be going in to cook again 

Have to be done in advance .....imagine mid service !!! the commis would be having a heart attack 

Sorry man I used them for a starter I was doing ....will take some more pics the w/e 

But I cooked them by sticking a pot of boiling water on the heat to a rapid boil then pour it on to the eggs back on to the heat for 1.5 min for really soft eggs 2 mins for medium cool in iced water for ten mins then chill 

I went 1.5 as I did a version of a scotch egg using black pudding instead of just sausage meat ....so you have to remember they will be going in to cook again 

Have to be done in advance .....imagine mid service !!! the commis would be having a heart attack 

Love the idea of the black pudding/quails egg.  So the whole thing is deep fried as needed?  I was imagining the egg as garnish, and wondering why reheating would be simpler than just cooking, but you've explained it.

My favourite very simple, quick yet delicious (ly unhealthy) meal - I call it Pasta Maldonado.

500g pasta - rigatoni or similar

250ml single cream

A chorizo ring, cut into chunks of 5-10mm

About 8 standard tomatoes

Some dried chilli and herb of choice (I like oregano).

Whatever cheese you have lying around

Peel the tomatoes (flash boil them for a little bit first) and roughly chop. Chuck in a pan with some oil to soften up for 5-10 mins.

Chuck in the chorizo - leave for five minutes for the oils from the sausage to mingle with the tomatoes

Bung in some dried red chilli flakes - a teaspoon or two, and some oregano or whatever you fancy

Add the cream, and simmer gently for five minutes

Stick a bit of grated cheese in to thicken if desired

Chuck in the (cooked) pasta and stir. Serve topped with parmesan if available (cheddar if not), with garlic ciabatta.

So simple, yet so unbelievably delicious.

My favourite very simple, quick yet delicious (ly unhealthy) meal - I call it Pasta Maldonado.

250ml single cream

Peel the tomatoes (flash boil them for a little bit first) and roughly chop. Chuck in a pan with some oil to soften up for 5-10 mins.

Chuck in the chorizo - leave for five minutes for the oils from the sausage to mingle with the tomatoes

Bung in some dried red chilli flakes - a teaspoon or two, and some oregano or whatever you fancy

Chuck in the (cooked) pasta and stir. Serve topped with parmesan if available (cheddar if not), with garlic ciabatta.

Is that because it can't be finished?

• Like 1

250ml single cream

I've never tried anything like this so I'm not criticising, but Chorizo and Cream? How does that work out? Personally I can't imagine putting the two together.

I tend to go down the tomato route - in which case chorizo & chilli are both welcome. Or the cream route, where cheeses are more at home, along with things like pancetta. Not both.

I've never tried anything like this so I'm not criticising, but Chorizo and Cream? How does that work out? Personally I can't imagine putting the two together.

I tend to go down the tomato route - in which case chorizo & chilli are both welcome. Or the cream route, where cheeses are more at home, along with things like pancetta. Not both.

There's nothing better than something which shouldn't work, but just does! I think it's how the oils from the chorizo and the fat from the cream mix. Bad for the heart, but great for the soul.

Â