What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

No Dice !!!

I can't just eat a tartlet. Need a bit of green and some sort of dressing/glaze.

You're the chef obviously and I'm an amateur but I'd serve it with rocket or a red onion salad with balsamic glaze

(cue abuse on how wrong I am :D )

Well, no abuse, but he's not showing you how he'd serve them, just showing how great they look just out of the oven.  Which they do. 

I find my pastry shrinks back too much when I bake it blind, so I get a shallow base which won't accommodate a generous filling.  (I'm sure that would sound better read in a Kenneth Williams voice).

No I agree they look awesome, I was just adding my (ill informed) 2c

I was just making a lazy generalisation that chefs are elitist about their food especially to people who aren't chefs

I just hate chefs

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

BR0xyPLCUAA8DYB.jpg

Chowdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  with a sour dough smoked salmon club

I would nom the shit out of that and ask for one to take home.

I have never seen that on a menu anywhere and I've eaten a fair few nice restaurants in my time.

Just pulled up my beetroot - any recommendations for how best to cook it (not having done anything with them before)?

There are about 3 or four the size of a cricket ball and the others are nearer golf ball size.

One thing my parents love (not a beetroot fan myself) is to serve it warm with bacon in a salad.

Just pulled up my beetroot - any recommendations for how best to cook it (not having done anything with them before)?

There are about 3 or four the size of a cricket ball and the others are nearer golf ball size.

When I grew them I made soup, comes out is this bright red, slightly purple colour... almost a beetroot colour...

When I grew them I made soup, comes out is this bright red, slightly purple colour... almost a beetroot colour...

I'm very familiar with that colour. It's the shade my face and neck turn when initially exposed to too much sun.

I like the warm with bacon in a salad idea, Stefan - waiting for the next crop of salad leaves to come through, though.

Edited by snowychap

Scrub them clean with a veg brush or nail brush, top and tail, and either boil or roast.  I prefer roasting (well, it's actually baking, but everyone calls it roasting).  Medium oven, say 170 or 180, 30-45 mins for golf ball size, 45-60 mins for cricket ball.  Just put in a roasting pan or oven dish, no other treatment.  Peel after cooking - sharp knife and a fork if you're serving them hot, otherwise leave until cold.  Hot, they go oddly well with white fish, maybe monkfish or cod baked in the same oven for 15 mins with some lemon.

Cold, slice them, layer in a shallow dish, and spread with a mix of crushed garlic, plain yogurt, salt and pepper, maybe paprika.  Or blend with yogurt, garlic, tahini, a little lemon juice, seasoning, a bit of chilli, to make a dip to scoop up with good bread (better still, home-made pitta).

Silvena Rowe has a beetroot falafel recipe, if you can be arsed.  I did once, and liked it.

Borscht.  Beetroot risotto.  Crisps, sliced ultra thin and fried.  Pickled.  Grated raw, in a slaw.  Roasted, served hot or cold with horseradish.  Sandwiches, with rare beef.  Cubed, in salad with tomatoes and watercress and orange.

You wouldn't do the roasting them individually wrapped in foil as I've seen put forward elsewhere?

I think people do that if they peel them before roasting, to protect them from the heat. I'm happy peeling after. The skin protects them, and also comes off easier when cooked. You could do some each way, see if you prefer one way or another.

BR0xyPLCUAA8DYB.jpg

Chowdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  with a sour dough smoked salmon club

I would nom the shit out of that and ask for one to take home.

I have never seen that on a menu anywhere and I've eaten a fair few nice restaurants in my time.

It looks delicious. 

I made a vegetarian curry last night with homegrown, onion, tomato, butternut squash, potato, green beans and chilli pepper. The only ingredients I didn't grow myself were the garlic, the spices, seasoning and the rice. 

The curry was delicious, probably due to the freshness and quality of the ingredients, but the satisfaction I got from that meals was more than any other ever I think. My first year of properly growing my own veg. 

Just been and got myself a slow cooker, been meaning to get one for ages.

Just cooking up a stew now, cant wait for it, if this turns out alright then it'll make meself some oxtail stew in a few day's, god I aint had oxtail stew for about 4 years

Â