What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

What does she like/ not like

That's the problem, I'm not really sure.

I know she likes fish, so that's an option :)

I think I'm better off thinking of something to cook then asking her if she'd be ok with it? If you get what I mean

How about Mediterranean pasta? I did this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mediterraneanpasta_88410 the last time I had a lady over and she loved it. A bit of parmesan and garlic ciabatta on the side, without blowing my own horn it was really damn tasty. Some wine to go with it too, delicious.

Edited by Phumfeinz
  • Like 1

To be fair, you can make stunning food with like 5/6 ingredients and she'll think you're amazing when you've put in minimal effort :D

The best cooking one I had was when I cooked for my ex for Valentines day, but had to babysit her sisters so I cooked for them as well and she was struck by my generosity and kindness :D

(even though we got rid of them pretty sharpish)

What does she like/ not like

That's the problem, I'm not really sure.

I know she likes fish, so that's an option :)

I think I'm better off thinking of something to cook then asking her if she'd be ok with it? If you get what I mean

How about Mediterranean pasta? I did this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mediterraneanpasta_88410 the last time I had a lady over and she loved it. A bit of parmesan and garlic ciabatta on the side, without blowing my own horn it was really damn tasty. Some wine to go with it too, delicious.

This is the right sort of idea. Only problem with that dish is due to the courgettes and aubergines, I probably wouldn't like it myself :P

To be fair, you can make stunning food with like 5/6 ingredients and she'll think you're amazing when you've put in minimal effort :D

Yes, this is exactly what I want :D

Well stick with the salmon fillets cant really **** that up too much .....and stay with the new potatoes .....try and get you hands on some samphire ...the fismonger will have it ...its quite nice easy to cook just plunge into boiling water for 30 seconds take out toss in butter and a squeeze of lemon juice ...put the cooked salmon on that and top with a fresh salsa ...

Stevo - My suggestion ;

Simple Salmon Teryaki.

Make the following Marinade.

1 Tbspoon Honey

1 Clove Garlic, crushed.

1 Lemon, Zest and Juices

Mouse sized piece of ginger, skin removed and grated.

3 Tbspoons light Soy Sauce.

Get some skinless & boneless salmon fillets from the fish counter, atleast one a half each. Marinade in the above for as long as you can.

Place a griddle pan or plate on as high a heat as possible, wait for it to get steamingly hot.

Add your salmon pieces, retaining the left over marinade. Turn your Salmon pieces when they've caramelised and gone dark.

Stir fry some cooked noodles in a wok, adding the left over marinade.

Serve your noodles with the Salmon pieces on top.

If you want to make it a bit more fancy; try adding sesame seeds to the salmon, or finish the dish wish a sprinkle of coriander.

Here's a fairly simple one-pot fish dish.  But you need a wide, heavy pan with a properly-fitting lid.

2 portions white fish (fillets if you don't like fiddling about, otherwise 2 whole sea bass works well, but make sure they are thoroughly descaled and cleaned out)

Potatoes - if in doubt, use one more than you think you'll need

2 onions

a few cloves of garlic

2-3 large tomatoes

lemon juice, white wine

Slice potatoes very thinly, ie thickness of £1 coin, fry gently in a little olive oil, turning over to get the slices coated.

Add thinly sliced onion and garlic, continue stirring and mixing it up.

Season with salt and pepper, and maybe some chilli flakes, smoked paprika, bay leaves.

Slice tomatoes and add.

Add juice of 1 lemon and a glass or two of white wine.  Cover the pan tightly (laying a sheet of foil between pan and lid if it's not a tight fit) and cook on a low heat.  You're looking to have it hot enough that it steams so the potatoes cook, not hot enough to stick and burn, so you want it just gently bubbling when the lid's on - so when you take off the lid to check it is bubbling a little, but stops if you leave the lid off.

Check every few minutes, stir so it doesn't catch (may need to add a little more wine or water), test the potatoes with a knife.  They should be fairly soft after 20-30 minutes (won't cook as quickly as boiling).  Taste them to check, add more seasoning if needed.  When they are nearly done, lay the fish on top and continue steaming for 15 minutes with the lid on tight.

Could do a green veg with it, but it's good as it comes.

Stevo - My suggestion ;

Simple Salmon Teryaki.

Make the following Marinade.

1 Tbspoon Honey

1 Clove Garlic, crushed.

1 Lemon, Zest and Juices

Mouse sized piece of ginger, skin removed and grated.

3 Tbspoons light Soy Sauce.

Get some skinless & boneless salmon fillets from the fish counter, atleast one a half each. Marinade in the above for as long as you can.

Place a griddle pan or plate on as high a heat as possible, wait for it to get steamingly hot.

Add your salmon pieces, retaining the left over marinade. Turn your Salmon pieces when they've caramelised and gone dark.

Stir fry some cooked noodles in a wok, adding the left over marinade.

Serve your noodles with the Salmon pieces on top.

If you want to make it a bit more fancy; try adding sesame seeds to the salmon, or finish the dish wish a sprinkle of coriander.

This sounds great, might try it myself one night. So lonely.

This sounds great, might try it myself one night. So lonely.

Aye, it's nice and easy, but very tasty indeed. You really don't have to be too precise with the measurements either; just a quick check to make sure the marinade isn't too sour, sweet or salty and you're good to go. And the best thing is that, if you're like me, then you'll probably already have a fair few of the ingredients tucked away somewhere.

The important thing is to cook it in a searingly hot pan, that way you get the tiger's back look to the salmon.

Edited by Shillzz

Get it fresh.

Frozen fish never quite has the same sort of taste and texture. I mean, it'll be fine but getting fresh is better (IMO of course)

Edited by StefanAVFC

20 mins is all it takes to marinade fish ...so this long as you can thingy ...megh ....plus visualy unless you throw in some thinky sliced red onion courgette spring onion tothe nnoodle mix will look dull....that said teriyaki salmon is very **** nice

Presentation wise, not that it really matters, would you just plonk the salmon on top of the noodles, or would you slice it somehow?

The best way to get her knickers off is a chocolate pudding ....marks sell a nice one

Noted...

Â