What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 weeks later...

I cooked a chicken makhani last night, and it was epic. The first curry that I've made that matches or betters something you'd get in a good restaurant.

I made this as well tonight (well started it yesterday and finished it off today) **** amazing it was, not really my type of curry I prefer them spicier but that really is restaurant quality, unhealthy as **** so I won't be making too many of them but I've got a fuckload to freeze so it's all good.

Hairy bikers recipe if anyone fancies the ingredients and shit let me know and I'll put them on here for ya

• Like 1

I cooked a chicken makhani last night, and it was epic. The first curry that I've made that matches or betters something you'd get in a good restaurant.

I made this as well tonight (well started it yesterday and finished it off today) **** amazing it was, not really my type of curry I prefer them spicier but that really is restaurant quality, unhealthy as **** so I won't be making too many of them but I've got a fuckload to freeze so it's all good.

Hairy bikers recipe if anyone fancies the ingredients and shit let me know and I'll put them on here for ya

I fancy a bit of that if you don't mind...?

I should mention that this is courtesy of PompeyVillan who PMed it me when I wanted to check if it was the same recipe as I had (it was) 

Ingredients. 

Meat

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts,

sunflower oil 

skewers.

Marinade

1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds

1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds

1/2 tsp cardomon seeds (from pods) - if you bash 'em with a pestle and morter you can get the seeds out easily. 

4 cloves

1/2 tsp black peppercorns

2 tsp fenugreek

1tsp ground tumeric 

2tsp ground paprika

1 tsp hot chilli powder

1 tsp flaked sea salt

2 garlic cloves, crushed

25 chunk of root ginger, peeled and finely grated.

4 tbsp plain natural yoghurt

Butter Sauce

175 ghee or 150 g butter and 3 tbsp of sunflower oil.

2 medium onions, roughly chopped

6 garlic cloves, crushed

35 chunk of root ginger, peeled and finely grated

1 tsp of ground turmeric

4 fresh, ripe tomatoes, chopped, 

3 tbsp tomato puree

1 tbsp caster sugar

1 tsp flaked sea salt

100 ml double cream

​handful of coriander, chopped. 

Method 

First prepare the marinade. Put the cumin, coriander, cardamom  cloves and peppercorns in a dry frying pan over a medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly until lightly toasted. Tip everything into a pestle and mortar or spice grinder and grind to a powder. Then add the fenugreek, turmeric, paprika  chilli powder and salt and grind everything into a fine powder. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the spice mixture into a bowl and stir in the garlic, ginger and the yoghurt. Cut each chicken breast into 7 or 8 bite sized pieces. Stir these into the spiced yoghurt,cover with cling film and put them in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight. 

To make the butter sauce, heat 125 of the ghee (or 100g of the butter and 3 tablespoons of the oil) in a large, non-stick saucepan and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid, increase the heat slightly and stir in the rest of the powdered spices you prepared for the marinade and add the turmeric. Fry for 3 minutes, stirring regularly. 

Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, salt and fry for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the tomatoes have softened. Add 200ml of cold water, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes more, adding the cream for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Remove from the heat, and blitz with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth. Pour the sauce into a heatproof bowl, cover with clingfilm, cool and chill until you are ready to cook the chicken. 

Preheat the grill to its hottest setting. Thread the chicken pieces on to 7 or 8 lightly greased, long skewers, keeping 1-2cm between each pieces. Place the skewers on a rack over a grill pan lined with foil. slide the pan onto a shelf as close as possible to the heat and cook the chicken for 5 minutes. Holding the hot skewers with an oven cloth, turn them and cook them on the other side for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and charred. 

Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter or ghee in a non-stick frying pan and stir in the butter sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Take the chicken and, sliding a fork down each skewer, plop the chicken pieces into the hot sauce. Stir well and bubble for a few seconds more. Sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander and serve with hot rice. 

• Like 2

Let us know what you thought of it, as I say I normally only go for spicy curries but this was lovely, If I was cooking for a group of people then I recon this is what I would go for.

Its pretty easy as well

It was beautiful and like you've written, very easy to make. :) Thanks to you and PompeyVilla for the recipe.

Edited by 8pints

Here's a challenge for you chefs.

I was planning on getting a takeaway tonight as a treat. But then though I might try and experiment and cook a meal using only what I've got left over in my cupboard and fridge (I shop weekly so by a Friday night there's absolutely jack shit left)

So I have the following:

about 150g beef mince

1 egg

2 cloves of garlic

a jar of tomato salsa

A muligatawny cuppa soup

brown pasta

brown rice

3 chicken breasts

I had 2 thoughts. Beef burgers (mince and egg plus some seasoning and eat with some pasta and salsa on the side)

or some sort of botched bologneise, but using tomato salsa instead of tomato sauce.

Any ideas?

(I'm more than happy for the answer to be "You're an idiot, buy some real food" :D )

Edited by Stevo985

Never really got this whole idea of eggs and stuff in burgers .....I have seen chefs put eg yolks, breadcrumbs, ketchup, brown sauce, soy , dried herbs , fresh herbs, soy sauce, mustard, horseradish etc in to them 

Burgers my advice ...good quality mince, seasoning,olive oil .......

If you want ketchup etc add after 

Well thats the way I did it in my old place ....

A. mainly for all the women who are allergic to everything

b. just tastes damn good 

But thats just me ....another is when were at a wedding or some function and the wife comments how good the soup is ....Ya it tastes like chicken .....most chefs just load chicken bouillon in to veg soup ..yet the waitress would swear blind its veg stock 

Â