Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id get rid of hause or taylor as neither i think is good enough. We need a left back to compete with targett and a rb to do same with guilbert. Elmo is getting on abit now to be a starter impact sub/cup games only for me.

Konsa/engels with mings is decent so we could do with another cb maybe. 

But we desperately need a striker and winger

The issue here is one of budget. We either get someone in to replace Mings and Targett - which will cost a fortune and likely blow most of our total budget. Or we look for someone to come in and be second choice (can challenge to start)...in which case we're spending money to make no progress with the first 11. And we definitely need a striker and a winger, plus a CM at the very, very least. 

I think both of these players are OK enough to be back ups, and will move on next summer, as the squad depth starts to take shape.
4 or 5 new starters this summer, gives a clear out over the next 12 months of the likes of Hause, AEG, Samatta to bring in another 4 or 5 to upgrade again - and we get to see whether the U23s will produce the players we need. 

18 minutes ago, sne said:

I think the drop off in intensity, fitness and motivation from other teams and players after the lock down helped our defense quite a bit.

Not saying we didn't also improve our performances but I would not rely on this current group being as solid once the new season starts and our opponents have something to play for again.

I slightly agree with you mate. I'm not sold on our defence. Mings is good and would be even better with a decent partner to play alongside him. Maybe Konsa will become that player but I'm not convinced he is right now. I hope he is though as he seems like a good lad. 

I'd prefer a right back who is better defensively. Targett will be OK as long as he gets cover from the wide forward playing ahead of him. Grealish fails in that duty hence I'd prefer him behind the striker. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sne said:

I think the drop off in intensity, fitness and motivation from other teams and players after the lock down helped our defense quite a bit.

Not saying we didn't also improve our performances but I would not rely on this current group being as solid once the new season starts and our opponents have something to play for again.

I think that dismisses a lot of the good work the coaching staff and our players did during lockdown. 

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think that dismisses a lot of the good work the coaching staff and our players did during lockdown. 

I don't.

You just had too look at the games to see they were played at a much lower tempo and intensity. Part of this was down to no fans and that will be the same this season but a lot was IMO down to opponents not as bothered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

I don't.

You just had too look at the games to see they were played at a much lower tempo and intensity. Part of this was down to no fans and that will be the same this season but a lot was IMO down to opponents not as bothered.

I think that's rubbish. 

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Jack needs to play left inside forward.

We need someone more combative in that midfield 3 imo to help mcginn and luiz.

That doesn't mean they can't be good footballers, but they definitely need to also have some steel, our midfield got played through a lot last season, we need to fix that.

I do agree that we need at least one or two midfielder along with a right winger and a winger that can play both wings as well and a striker or two.

The midfielder we bring in has to be capable of alot really and that wont come cheap but it would be worth it. Deffo need someone to accompany Luiz and McGinn, some in front of them who can shoot from distance and score would be nice. someone who can glide through a couple of players and place himself outside of the box for shots or pass it off to our striker or two wingers. He would also have to have the knowledge of knowing when to hold off and see dangerous situations.

When I think of a type of player for attacking midfield and how I'd like this midfielder to play I think of Eriksen. Eriksen for spurs would make runs from the center round to the edges of the box he'd then turn and whip dangerous crosses in from the corners of the box all while it looked like he would pass the ball off to Wingers. Confusion is what Eriksen is about, he would make you think hed be going somewhere and he would just end up somewhere else because he is good at losing his players. I would love to see someone with a similar style as Eriksen in midfield, it would suit the Smith style and it would not only be our Wingers whipping crosses in. I think also Eriksen was versatile, could play alot of position across midfield and we too also need that in players we bring in as it allows us to switch around if were taking abit of a beating.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't.

Because Arsenal, Sheff Utd, Man Utd, Chelsea and Wolves were just "not as bothered" about European places when they played us...

Pull the other one mate, you're shitting on the teams improvements post lockdown. We we're clearly better at the back.

Edited by Steero113
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think that's rubbish. 

Fair enough.

Care to expand on how you thought the other teams performed post lockdown compared to before? Tempo, attitude, sharpness, motivation...

Just now, Steero113 said:

Because Sheff Utd, Man Utd, Chelsea and Wolves were just "not as bothered" about European places when they played us...

Pull the other one mate, you're shitting on the teams improvements post lockdown. We we're clearly better at the back.

No I clearly stated that I also thought we improved as per in the previous post

4 minutes ago, sne said:

No I clearly stated that I also thought we improved as per in the previous post

Official retraction, didn't see that part!

Still don't think there was a drop in intensity as the goals and targets (i.e staying up and the millions that come with it and europe and the millions that come with it) were still the same for every team. 

Edited by Steero113

20 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

The issue here is one of budget. We either get someone in to replace Mings and Targett - which will cost a fortune and likely blow most of our total budget. Or we look for someone to come in and be second choice (can challenge to start)...in which case we're spending money to make no progress with the first 11. And we definitely need a striker and a winger, plus a CM at the very, very least. 

I think both of these players are OK enough to be back ups, and will move on next summer, as the squad depth starts to take shape.
4 or 5 new starters this summer, gives a clear out over the next 12 months of the likes of Hause, AEG, Samatta to bring in another 4 or 5 to upgrade again - and we get to see whether the U23s will produce the players we need. 

I pose the question to you. If targett picked up a 3 month injury are you confident taylor would be good enough to deputise for that period?

I dont. A not bad  defender but offers absolutely nothing in a attacking sense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I pose the question to you. If targett picked up a 3 month injury are you confident taylor would be good enough to deputise for that period?

I dont. A not bad  defender but offers absolutely nothing in a attacking sense.

100% understand your point. Same with a few positions - GK and across the whole defence. 

But I would rather your scenario, than us have to spend a chunk of our budget on back-up players if that means the difference between (for example) a £40m or £25m striker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Fair enough.

Care to expand on how you thought the other teams performed post lockdown compared to before? Tempo, attitude, sharpness, motivation...

Answered by someone else above. The idea that a lot of our improvement was because teams weren't bothered is rubbish. 

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Things seem to be falling into place with Rashica and Edouard, so hopefully! No doubt there will be something completely out of nowhere!

Falling down, more like.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Answered by someone else above. The idea that a lot of our improvement was because teams weren't bothered is rubbish. 

And again I disagree. A pointless argument to go on about to which degree it was down to us vs other teams not at 100%. We'll never know.

But as this is the transfer thread I hope we bring in new players who make it possible for us to keep the level of defending we had while also helping us reach the level of attacking we had at the start of last season. We need both not just one or the other.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We only really played well in our last 4 matches, and our opponents largely had nothing to play for in those. Not rubbish at all IMO. I wouldn't be writing off the other 34 matches where we couldn't keep a clean sheet to save our lives

• Like 2