Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Anyone watching this VT on equality for women in professional tennis that's on right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equality, but they're completely neglecting the fact that men play best out of 5 and women play best out of 3, so women get the same amount of money for playing a lot less tennis. I'm not saying it should change or anything, but you'd think they'd give a bit more balance to the whole thing.

Anyone watching this VT on equality for women in professional tennis that's on right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equality, but they're completely neglecting the fact that men play best out of 5 and women play best out of 3, so women get the same amount of money for playing a lot less tennis. I'm not saying it should change or anything, but you'd think they'd give a bit more balance to the whole thing.

I get that argument, but surely sport is entertainment and argung about the number of sets is like breaking it down into an hourly rate.  If you go to the cinema or a football match, you pay the same amount no matter how long the film or whether the game goes to extra time or not.  Should sets that finish 16-18 in tennis be paid more?

No, I'm not suggesting anything like that. The only issue I had with the piece was that it was harping on and on about equality without giving all the facts.

I guess I'm being pretty cynical about the whole thing, especially since there are plenty of other sports and industries where women are still not paid the same rates as men.

Edited by Ginko

They both get paid a fortune so it doesn't really matter. Lisicki v Bartoli what have we to go on! The last meeting at Wimbledon was in the quarters in 2011. Lisicki won in three sets. the first two were tight but the third Lisicki ran away with. In the previous round Bartoli beat Serena so that might have gone to her head. Both are playing the best tennis of their lives. I think Lisicki probably has the edge with that big serve and forehand but Bartoli is very smart and will try and get into her head and will the power and projectory of her ground strokes may cause some problems particularly on the backhand side. Problem is Bartoli's serve is irratic.

Edited by PaulC

I've been watching a fair bit of tennis this week due to my current between-jobs status. I've found the womens much more watchable than the mens. I watched the murray deciding set but four sets to get there is too long for me, specially when the games are so much about the serves. Both Lisicki and Radwanska have been really enjoyable this week so the match between them today was a must-see.

I also find womens tennis far more interesting/entertaining than the mens.

Its been interesting this Wimbledon but generally the mens game is far more competitive and entertaining.

I like watching both men and women's singles. I just love watching tennis. Anyone watch Johnny Mac and his brother's match today? He's still got his competitive streak, love that man.

As for Lisicki though Stefan... there's something about her, I'll admit, and she's apparently got a lovely personality too, but give me Kirilenko or Kournikova any day :wub:

Edited by Ginko

I like watching both men and women's singles. I just love watching tennis. Anyone watch Johnny Mac and his brother's match today? He's still got his competitive streak, love that man.

As for Lisicki though Stefan... there's something about her, I'll admit, and she's apparently got a lovely personality too, but give me Kirilenko or Kournikova any day :wub:

Yes I love tennis myself. Fun to play and watch. McEnroe might be grey but he is still pretty fit. Marion Bartoli has been my favourite female player for a few years. Unique style of playing, the idiosyncrasies, I just love watching her. I really hope she wins because I feel it may be her only chance wheras Lisicki I think will have many more chances.

Â