Relegation thread

Knutserov13

33 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

The Championship results tonight are a bit of a reality check. Sunday will be a roller-coaster ride.

Yeah don’t count your chickens! Forest needed to avoid defeat and Swansea to over come a 5 goal swing. Forest are now not in the play offs. Swansea won 4-1 and forest lost. Sunday will be full of twists and turns that’s for sure.

• Like 1

As well as we've done over the last three games, I'm still more hopeful of Everton beating Bournemouth and Arsenal beating Watford than I am of us beating West Ham, although would be nice if we could get the job done ourselves, ten points from the last possible twelve would be a remarkable turnaround in form.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

This is definitely a game where no fans in the stadium helps us. A safe West Ham with their fans loving to see them put us down could have a created a horrible atmosphere for our fragile team.

In an ideal world, Arsenal are 3-0 up after half an hour which would at least make us know we only need a point to guarantee safety. I dont agree with the people who are saying we have to go all out for a win. That's just crazy talk. I say we keep it tight, play our game, obviously hopefully take the lead but also see where we stand after the first few minutes elsewhere. We dont need a win or a draw, we need to match Watford's result and keep an eye on what Bournemouth are doing. It's a game of chess, not a siege. We do what we need to do.

You do realise Westham players cant hear or see their fans in that stadium 😂 

• Haha 2

It goes without saying but an early goal for us could seal the entire day. Bournemouth will be going all out for a win obviously but if there is one thing Arsenal are good at, its putting shit teams away at home. If Watford go for it, which they will have too if they find out we're winning then Arsenal should clean up.

Bournemouth really worry me. If they they are 2-0 up at half time and we're drawing or even losing then it gets very ugly, very quickly. I cant think of anything worse than us having to chase the game with time running down needing a goal. Sunday is going to be one of the hardest days of being a Villa fan ever. Sure we've had cup finals and playoff finals but to get relegated on the last day when we are in a great position is something I dont want to even think about.

• Like 2

I think we just have to forget about the other games and treat the West Ham almost as if it's a play-off final, win it and it should be enough, unless Watford somehow manage to beat Arsenal by three goals, if we were to beat West Ham by more than one goal they'd then have to beat Arsenal by a even bigger margin.

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It goes without saying but an early goal for us could seal the entire day. Bournemouth will be going all out for a win obviously but if there is one thing Arsenal are good at, its putting shit teams away at home. If Watford go for it, which they will have too if they find out we're winning then Arsenal should clean up.

Bournemouth really worry me. If they they are 2-0 up at half time and we're drawing or even losing then it gets very ugly, very quickly. I cant think of anything worse than us having to chase the game with time running down needing a goal. Sunday is going to be one of the hardest days of being a Villa fan ever. Sure we've had cup finals and playoff finals but to get relegated on the last day when we are in a great position is something I dont want to even think about.

Don’t think about it then? 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Good player but that’s an outrageous salary 

Indeed, this is the conondrum, I want us to sign these players, but not on those wages.

I feel only proven at the top level type players should be getting that type of money.

People should keep some of these things in the back of the mind before we "How have we allowed player x to go to club x ? " etc

• Like 3

Would be lovely to have a scenario where Bournemouth are 2 down to Everton in first 20-30 minutes and Watford are 3 down to Arsenal. Don't think it will quite pan out like that though. Could well be one of those horrible periods where we're fine with a draw for long spell of the afternoon and then one of them scores late on in the day and then suddenly we have to push forward and leave gaps.

At least we've shown better mentality in last three. We will certainly need it on Sunday.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would be lovely to have a scenario where Bournemouth are 2 down to Everton in first 20-30 minutes and Watford are 3 down to Arsenal. Don't think it will quite pan out like that though. Could well be one of those horrible periods where we're fine with a draw for long spell of the afternoon and then one of them scores late on in the day and then suddenly we have to push forward and leave gaps.

At least we've shown better mentality in last three. We will certainly need it on Sunday.

Then Bournemouth score in the 65th, Watford on the 45th and 70th and suddenly its just as nervy again haha

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bournemouth can score as many goals as they want but if we are drawing they can't catch us.

Different for Watford but can you really see them beating Arsenal in their last game before the cup final?

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bournemouth can score as many goals as they want but if we are drawing they can't catch us.

Different for Watford but can you really see them beating Arsenal in their last game before the cup final?

Imagine this for a scenario though.

We're 0-0 and cruising. Bournemouth can't do anything but are 1-1 at Everton. On 70th minute mark Watford go 2-1 up at Arsenal so suddenly we go into mass panic and have 8 upfield in search of a goal and West Ham pick us off on the break to go 1-0 up. Arsenal however bring Auvameyang on and he scores twice in five minutes and Arsenal win 3-2 in the end. The damage is done and we lose 1-0. Bournemouth score in the 93rd minute to win 2-1 and send us down.

Maybe I'm overthinking things but there's an example of over-commiting due to one score elsewhere coming and then suddenly a draw being enough again but we don't get it due to trying to go for a winner. We've seen that before on final days.

Sunday certainly needs some cool heads on the pitch and touchline and good game management.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I couldn't see WBA at home drawing QPR or  Barsnley defeating Brentford or  Swansea overcoming a 5 goal goal difference against Forest. All three happened last night. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Imagine this for a scenario though.

We're 0-0 and cruising. Bournemouth can't do anything but are 1-1 at Everton. On 70th minute mark Watford go 2-1 up at Arsenal so suddenly we go into mass panic and have 8 upfield in search of a goal and West Ham pick us off on the break to go 1-0 up. Arsenal however bring Auvameyang on and he scores twice in five minutes and Arsenal win 3-2 in the end. The damage is done and we lose 1-0. Bournemouth score in the 93rd minute to win 2-1 and send us down.

Maybe I'm overthinking things but there's an example of over-commiting due to one score elsewhere coming and then suddenly a draw being enough again but we don't get it due to trying to go for a winner. We've seen that before on final days.

Sunday certainly needs some cool heads on the pitch and touchline and good game management.

This is absolutely overthinking it in my opinion. 100 different scenarios could play out, we can't worry too much about them and ultimately if we're in the drop zone after 70 minutes we need to push for a goal as if it's a cup final.

Worry about scenarios as they come out. Play like we did against Arsenal and we're a very good chance.

• Like 1