Generic Virus Thread

villakram

24 minutes ago, Awol said:

They’ve made it legal for themselves to do so. 

IANAL but I've just downloaded and read the contract (pdf) between the EU and AZ. To my untrained eye it looks like it supports what AZ has said. Section 5.1 and 5.4 in particular. So as per @Genieabove, I guess it may be (this legal move) a sort of threat to use, rather than actually using it, to try and get the UK Gov't to let them have some of "our" vaccines. That's IR, politics and beaurocrats for you. I guess also if the EU were in the right on the contract, then they'd be straight onto AZ with lawyers instead of spokespeople making statements to the press. So a mix of arse covering PR and weight throwing to try and make up for their errors and lack of sound oversight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

For anyone doubting that the EU is attacking the UK vaccination programme, a graphic:

C719CFFA-A2DA-4D70-B386-7B51FBF67342.jpeg

Just staggering. Their row was with AZ but now they’ve made it with the UK, if they go through with it it will get very ugly and can see it just being the start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Just staggering. Their row was with AZ but now they’ve made it with the UK, if they go through with it it will get very ugly and can see it just being the start.

Yeah, but not unusual - remember when the UK did the same in the Brexit days with threatening to end or withhold security co-operation. Similarly awful. Never mind people's lives and risk to life, just use [a thing] as a blunt bargaining tool. Knobbers.

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, but not unusual - remember when the UK did the same in the Brexit days with threatening to end or withhold security co-operation. Similarly awful. Never mind people's lives and risk to life, just use [a thing] as a blunt bargaining tool. Knobbers.

I do and I don’t condone it although I always considered that horse-trading as part of fractious negotiations, I’d like to think they never intended to carry it through.

I hope this is similar brinkmanship, if it turns out to be more that is a significant shift the already fractured relationship and one I think could have wise spread consequences.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Agree, but even more amazing is invoking the NI Protocol less than a month after it came into effect, effectively putting a border for vaccines inside the island of Ireland. 

Invoking the protocol requires a seven day notice period and consultation with UK government. Today Brussels has effectively voided it. That’s gonna have second and third order effects they haven’t considered in their haste to lash out at the UK.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

The EU are looking uncharacteristically flustered, and in a state of panic here. 

They're acting like words removed. 

• Like 1

Thing is, if there’s a bunch of vaccines bought and paid for by the UK on pallets waiting to leave the factory and the EU refuses go sign off the paperwork... it doesn’t just become property of the EU. They are still owned by the UK and I’d assume will go off eventually. The UK isn’t going go say, “oh go on, you can have them then”.

It doesn’t really help their cause. Pfizer can’t just give them someone else’s goods because they blocked it going to it’s customer, and the UK won’t either.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You know them HSBC adverts with Richard Ayoade - ‘we, are not an island.....’

Gonna be an even smaller island once Scotland, Wales and NI get independence and everybody else hates us.

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm confused, I thought the AZ/Oxford vaccine was manufactured in Wales? Or is the export ban for the other types?

For any types. For example the Pfizer one, manufactured in Belgium.

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

I'm confused, I thought the AZ/Oxford vaccine was manufactured in Wales? Or is the export ban for the other types?

I think the export ban is on the Pfizer ones, which the UK has ordered. 

Â