Generic Virus Thread

villakram

If they do, then as long as they provide the financial support then fine. That, however, is a mighty big if. Personally, I think there's no political will and too many people are happy to just see a few more dead grannies and immunocompromised folk. The 'I'm alright Jack' mentality is as virulent as omicron tbf. 

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

If they do, then as long as they provide the financial support then fine. That, however, is a mighty big if. Personally, I think there's no political will and too many people are happy to just see a few more dead grannies and immunocompromised folk. The 'I'm alright Jack' mentality is as virulent as omicron tbf. 

That's true enough. 

There seems to be a lot of "I've done my bit, now it's time to let them die" attitude coupled with "it's all just fine, just the Government shitting us" attitude about. 

When do we start clapping the NHS again? 

I can't see them bringing furlough back unless its an absolute last resort and people are dying in the streets. The Government have lost billions in either fraudulent furlough claims or companies not using it in the spirit it was intended. Any support would need to be specific to the worst hit industries (pubs, clubs etc) if there was another lockdown. 

I had been planning to get my booster shot at a walk in centre last week.  I put it off as I had a load of meetings.  Went out this morning to get it and found that my local centre had made it onto Sky news with a queue of around 300 people outside.  Really, really regret not going last week now.  I just turned away, I'll try again if/when this all calms down.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I can't see them bringing furlough back unless its an absolute last resort and people are dying in the streets. The Government have lost billions in either fraudulent furlough claims or companies not using it in the spirit it was intended. Any support would need to be specific to the worst hit industries (pubs, clubs etc) if there was another lockdown. 

Yep, it's exactly why we're getting these seemingly mixed messages.  They want to try and control it but also keep the economy open. 

To be honest we'll know by Christmas how this is going to land. 

If it's contagious but milder they'll let the boosters deal with it. 

If it's contagious AND as serious as other strands they'll have no choice because there will be people dying in hospital car parks in that situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wezbid said:

In regards to people worried about fertility, my fiancée is 31, I'm 36 (approaching 37), she's had her 2 jabs and a booster, I've had 2 jabs. 

We're approaching 10 weeks of her being pregnant. It will be the first child for the both of us. She was a bit worried that she wouldn't be able to get pregnant combining her age and the rumours about the jab but I will say that it didn't take long at all for her to fall pregnant once we actively started trying for a baby. This is after she's had 3 jabs.

Pregnant after a 3rd jab is very impressive 👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Can you just explain to me, in simple terms because I'm a simple man, why the **** our Government would want to do that for no reason?  Is it endearing them to the voters?

And not just our Government but every other Government of all political persuasions too?

I'm not saying this is what is happening, but we live in a democracy - if the government simply said "get on with your lives" (and again, I don't know if that's the right thing to do) then the opposition would drill into them like there is no tomorrow. They can't allow it. 

It's conceivable they;

a)want to defend themselves and work within parameters roughly set by other countries in order to defend themselves "politically"

b) maybe NHS is so damaged that it will struggle to handle any more.

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm not saying this is what is happening, but we live in a democracy - if the government simply said "get on with your lives" (and again, I don't know if that's the right thing to do) then the opposition would drill into them like there is no tomorrow. They can't allow it. 

It's conceivable they;

a)want to defend themselves and work within parameters roughly set by other countries in order to defend themselves "politically"

b) maybe NHS is so damaged that it will struggle to handle any more.

In between lockdowns that’s pretty much it. 
When the models the scientists use have predicted sharp increases in cases, hospitalisations and deaths they’ve had to put the brakes on.

59 minutes ago, Xela said:

he Government have lost billions in either fraudulent furlough claims or companies not using it in the spirit it was intended. 

Can't be having that with money they printed for their mates PPE collections

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Straggler said:

So do I need to start panic buying loo roll now?  Or because of the new variant should I be panic buying another random item, like I dunno toothpaste or freezer bags? 

I've heard that biro pens are what is going to be in short supply.

For some reason Covid doesn't cause a shortage of Fibre of Felt tipped pens, or Fountain Pens......just biros.

Especially green.

Please don't tell anyone but make sure you've got a good stock before they're all gone.

Personally I'm quite excited for it.  I've already bought up a shed load of shares in Bic.

• Haha 1

Well with 1 death due to Omicron (not yet proved) and 10 hospitalised with 4000+ cases, I guess it's time to start locking down and running for the hills?

We can confirm people in hospital too, what we cannot do, is confirm how many people have actually had it/got omicron, you can probably triple it at least, as the only proof is its more contagious, possibly, although again, it maybe because people are getting more social, no real scientific evidence as yet.. May as well lock down for flu and Norovirus as it's looking no worse.

Surely there is enough evidence by now in South Africa to judge whether Omicron is more dangerous or deadly?  From what I can see it's not the case, luckily.  All the most vulnerable people over here should have had their boosters by now too, so I find it hard on the evidence so far that the hospitals will be overrun.  People have the responsibility to act safely with social distancing, wearing masks, getting all their jabs, testing when needed and isolating.  We can do that without locking everything down again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Christ, it’s hard to believe people still think like this after all this time

It's changed now mate, this omicron has been proved by the South Africans to be mild flu symptoms, nothing else. I was all for the vaccinations and lock down for the previous variants, but there's a little bit of scare mongering going around at the moment for sure. I'll still probably have my booster when due, an I'm not about to start telling people to party hard and act like it's gone, but a lock down now would be criminal.

Â