The Royal Family

Genie

11 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

....the monarchy. JFC.

I'm no royalist, but for me I'd rather watch Charles and his chubby fingers rather than Sam Smith with his chubby belly sticking out that basque 🤣

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm no royalist, but for me I'd rather watch Charles and his chubby fingers rather than Sam Smith with his chubby belly sticking out that basque 🤣

The day that those two options are presented to me I will think long about the decision. As it stands those two options are not what is being presented. 

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What does Sam Smith have to do with the Monarchy?

As I can see it, one of them is a pop star who you can totally avoid, not buy any of their music, not go to their concerts, not give a single penny.

The other is an enforced head of state that none of us have the chance to vote for, purely because he popped out of the right fanny.

This is the absolute definite of whataboutism.

It don't seem to effect my life one single bit, I can quite easily ignore it, like I do other stuff I'm not interested in. Thats why I don't understand the complete and utter hatred by some people.

51 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What does Sam Smith have to do with the Monarchy?

As I can see it, one of them is a pop star who you can totally avoid, not buy any of their music, not go to their concerts, not give a single penny.

The other is an enforced head of state that none of us have the chance to vote for, purely because he popped out of the right fanny.

This is the absolute definite of whataboutism.

I get what the poster is trying say even if his analogy may be a strange one 

I don’t think he’s arguing you can’t be against the royal family , just the derision aimed at those that want to go see such an event  and camp on the streets of London .

why do we feel the need to sneer just because people have a different opinion , is the message he was looking for (I think )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I get what the poster is trying say even if his analogy may be a strange one 

I don’t think he’s arguing you can’t be against the royal family , just the derision aimed at those that want to go see such an event  and camp on the streets of London .

why do we feel the need to sneer just because people have a different opinion , is the message he was looking for (I think )

Very strange analogy, seems a stretch.

I’m not an avid supporter of the monarchy but I’d vote to keep it. I’m seeing a lot of Union jacks on my travels and quite a few pro monarchy flags as well . Do you think this is not directly in support of Charles and the monarchy but more so to do with  support of being british ? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't see what's so special about being British. 

Or French, or Indian, or Ghanaian, or Canadian, or... you get the idea. 

Nation states, flags, anthems, patriotism. It's all bollocks, and divides humans against each other. 

Just a thought why some people might be celebrating it . Also could be why some people are against it because it’s so British .

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I read this through this thread and start to understand why some are so staunch on certain topics.

Its like we can't say anything about the geezer dressed as a women in lycra with his package showing, as its all good these days. But ofcourse its no problem taking the piss out the people who enjoy go to a parade of the royals for the rare day that it is. Its history to them, let them be, like we have to accept Sam Smith dressed in a basque with stockings on, in reality what's worse.

But you do make comments about the example you talk about, about other people just living their lives. What's the difference? Tbh there is a difference. The difference is Sam Smith isn't affecting your life at all. If Sam Smith is 'shoved in your face' it would only be by someone trying to wind you up. You'd never know otherwise. This coronation is the definition of actually being shoved in 'one's' face.

I think having a gay guy wear skimpy clothes affects a lot fewer lives than half the country subordinating themselves like groupies to a aristocratic billionaire who is by luck of birth the head of state. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

But you do make comments about the example you talk about, about other people just living their lives. What's the difference? Tbh there is a difference. The difference is Sam Smith isn't affecting your life at all. If Sam Smith is 'shoved in your face' it would only be by someone trying to wind you up. You'd never know otherwise. This coronation is the definition of actually being shoved in 'one's' face.

I think having a gay guy wear skimpy clothes affects a lot fewer lives than half the country subordinating themselves like groupies to a aristocratic billionaire who is by luck of birth the head of state. 

You must to more emotionally attached to the royals than you think chap. They don't bother me and that probably includes at least 50 percent of the population of England.

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't see what's so special about being British. 

Or French, or Indian, or Ghanaian, or Canadian, or... you get the idea. 

Nation states, flags, anthems, patriotism. It's all bollocks, and divides humans against each other. 

You forgot religion, or you too scared to mention that one on VP.

17 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The difference is Sam Smith isn't affecting your life at all. If Sam Smith is 'shoved in your face' it would only be by someone trying to wind you up. You'd never know otherwise.

Probably the biggest difference is that we are not forced to contribute, to the tune of billions collectively, to financially support Sam Smith and give him a lavish lifestyle as we are with the royals. Unless foreveryoung has some kind of financial arrangement with Sam Smith that he hasn't shared with the group.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Probably the biggest difference is that we are not forced to contribute, to the tune of billions collectively, to financially support Sam Smith and give him a lavish lifestyle as we are with the royals. Unless foreveryoung has some kind of financial arrangement with Sam Smith that he hasn't shared with the group.

Really it was the disrespect of the people who want to watch the parade and support them royals,  rather than the royals themselves. 

I guess what im saying is VT can be a place for severe hypocrisy at times.

Crank adjacent people who stand and watch a man whose main feature is that he fell out of the right vagina. They will probably have batty opinions on other things. 

• Like 1

Â