The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

50 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm as selfish as the next man, but I the thought of an extra 5% of tax on earnings over £150k really doesn't scare me. Also bear in mind if you're earning £200,000 the tax free allowance only has to come up £2,500 to cover your tax loss.

You don't get a tax free allowance when you earn more than £125,000.

12 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've never met anybody yet who doesn't want to pay less tax.  .....

So by all means believe your original statement, but in my opinion it's utter nonsense.

I dunno, Martin. When there was that crash about 10, 12 years ago, I was riding my bike to work one day thinking about it all and I kind of came to the view that the least bad thing would be for taxes to go up (including mine) and that "austerity" was just morally wrong as a way to "fix" the situation, as the tories were saying needed done at the time. So of the various options, I kind of wanted, grudgingly, to pay more tax, genuinely, compared to any other option. I wanted it as a way of the nation spending more on infrastructure and green measures to keep people in jobs and off benefits and keep services at good levels.

• Like 4

It was anyone earning over £80k last time around that would see tax increases. Probably the same in next Labour manifesto. One of my mates earns over that, everyone else I know under. None of those who earn under have much sympathy with the guy who earns over! 

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm glad you've made this point. Whenever I feel hard done by it's always good to have a boomer reminding me how difficult they had it to give me some perspective.

Pretty shocking reply that. He wasn't gloating at all like your alluding to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno, Martin. When there was that crash about 10, 12 years ago, I was riding my bike to work one day thinking about it all and I kind of came to the view that the least bad thing would be for taxes to go up (including mine) and that "austerity" was just morally wrong as a way to "fix" the situation, as the tories were saying needed done at the time. So of the various options, I kind of wanted, grudgingly, to pay more tax, genuinely, compared to any other option. I wanted it as a way of the nation spending more on infrastructure and green measures to keep people in jobs and off benefits and keep services at good levels.

Lots of taxes have gone up though Pete.  Stamp duty, Capital Gains Tax and income tax if you receive dividends have all gone up.  Stamp Duty if you buy a second property has gone through the roof.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've never met anybody yet who doesn't want to pay less tax.

I have met lots of people and know lots of people who have no problem in paying more tax especially as they earn more (and not just at the same rate).

38 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's not many people, even the sort who might occasionally shout "Oh Je-re-my Corbyn" who would refuse to pay a tradesman less for "cash in hand", for example.

Again, I know lots who would - not least because of the position that this might put them in if the workmanship were shoddy (is there any paperwork).

But it's the trader's responsibility to declare the income and sort out the VAT, anyway, not the customer's.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I have met lots of people and know lots of people who have no problem in paying more tax especially as they earn more (and not just at the same rate).

Again, I know lots who would - not least because of the position that this might put them in if the workmanship were shoddy (is there any paperwork).

But it's the trader's responsibility to declare the income and sort out the VAT, anyway, not the customer's.

Any of these vote labour? Genuine question. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Any of these vote labour? Genuine question. 

As I don't make a habit of asking people's voting intentions or past (outside of VT - though I'm not sure that I do it much here, actually), any answer would merely be a guess.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Risso said:

Lots of taxes have gone up though Pete.  Stamp duty, Capital Gains Tax and income tax if you receive dividends have all gone up.  Stamp Duty if you buy a second property has gone through the roof.

Sure. And some have gone down as well haven't they. My comment is on two aspects really - firstly that as an individual on an OK wage I was accepting of "the least bad thing would be for taxes to go up (including mine)" as a solution to the woes of the country. I'm not second house, CGT rich or 'owt, but if my income tax had gone up by one or two percent, then rather that than what happened (was happening at the time), was my view.

The other point really is the one Bicks makes above - obviously if only OK, but not loaded people ended up paying more tax through PAYE, then that would be bad, but if big business and so on also coughed up then I was for it. The Occupy protests rang a bell with a lot of people and Starbucks and Amazon, Vodafone, Google, Apple etc  didn't and don't pay their fair share because they can afford to hop around to wherever, while employing people on poorer wages, yet taking advantage of all the roads and infrastructure that the country provides.

• Like 2

I think some people will (as always), just vote for who they have always voted for, irrelevant of any proposals that are put forward. I know some people who will say something like “I’m from (x) area and therefore have to vote labour” 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Postal vote applied for, what happens next? I get a card to send back? I guess I have to wait till parliament is dissolved and we know all the candidates?

Dunno mate, but you've prompted me to do the same as I'll not be at home for it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Postal vote applied for, what happens next? I get a card to send back? I guess I have to wait till parliament is dissolved and we know all the candidates?

I think they have to wait until candidate nominations close (Nov 15) before they even start to sort out the printing of the postal ballots.

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah the good old tax debate, it always gets brought down to the personal level. This is a distraction

The tax debate should always be about where it matters, there are huge corporations not paying their fair share of tax. Uber (as a current example) will hopefully be liable for a UK VAT bill of over £1Billion based on the fact they currently don't pay any because... they aren't a transportation provider when they most blatently are. Uber are avoiding paying their VAT bill in a game of semantics.

Arguing about a few rich people having to pay a few more pennies in the pound is quite frankly silly, when corporate tax avoidance is going on in an industrial scale (if you'll excuse the expresion).

Labour, without fail bang on and on and on about making the rich pay (on a personal level) when in the grand scheme of things, this will bring in very little extra income to the exchequer. Yes they do say they are going to make the corporations pay (with very little evidence of how) and somehow never do. They do it because they like the working man to think they are on their side and they'll play the jealousy card to death.

Taxing rich people more is a silly silly distraction from the real tax issues facing the country

Labour will raise corporation tax from 19% to 26%.  This is quite an increase and will affect SME’s quite a lot.  The large corporations will continue to find loopholes and remain unaffected.

This is one of the reasons I don’t want to vote for Labour.  Perhaps this makes me selfish but a 7% increase is quite substantial for me personally. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Labour will raise corporation tax from 19% to 26%.  This is quite an increase and will affect SME’s quite a lot.  The large corporations will continue to find loopholes and remain unaffected.

This is one of the reasons I don’t want to vote for Labour.  Perhaps this makes me selfish but a 7% increase is quite substantial for me personally. 

It's one of the many reasons why they are clueless. They need to close the loopholes and gain the correct revenue that way first. Funny thing is... the EU is about to do just that from January next year but we want to leave, hey ho... wonder why

• Like 2