The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's one of the many reasons why they are clueless. They need to close the loopholes and gain the correct revenue that way first. Funny thing is... the EU is about to do just that from January next year but we want to leave, hey ho... wonder why

Go on then, why? 

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's one of the many reasons why they are clueless. They need to close the loopholes and gain the correct revenue that way first. Funny thing is... the EU is about to do just that from January next year but we want to leave, hey ho... wonder why

Completely agree with this. It's being done backwards - and we definitely need to be within the EU when the new law kicks in, I bet Rees Smug would be in a panic.

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Labour will raise corporation tax from 19% to 26%.  This is quite an increase and will affect SME’s quite a lot.  The large corporations will continue to find loopholes and remain unaffected.

This is one of the reasons I don’t want to vote for Labour.  Perhaps this makes me selfish but a 7% increase is quite substantial for me personally. 

And alot will just leave the country. Not as simple as that. But as you say if they don't leave they will find a loophole.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Completely agree with this. It's being done backwards - and we definitely need to be within the EU when the new law kicks in, I bet Rees Smug would be in a panic.

I bet he wouldn't.

46 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I think you may be misunderstanding these laws coming in place in Jan ,they are about corporation tax avoidance not individuals 

more interesting is that Ireland also told the EU to jog on when it tried to interfere in its somewhat low corporation tax rates , so most of what they are trying to achieve with this law ie companies shifting profits would appear to be ineffective 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think you may be misunderstanding these laws coming in place in Jan ,they are about corporation tax avoidance not individuals 

more interesting is that Ireland also told the EU to jog on when it tried to interfere in its somewhat low corporation tax rates , so most of what they are trying to achieve with this law ie companies shifting profits would appear to be ineffective 

The new laws (EU ATAD) are designed to reduce situations where companies like Starbucks utilise differing tax rates in countries like The Netherlands and the UK.  For example, a firm holds its IP in a low tax jurisdiction and then charges a company in a higher tax country for the use of that IP.

What they won't do, is change the tax for companies that are entirely managed and controlled in a low tax jurisdiction, and where all the economic activity takes place in that jurisdiction.  For that reason, I doubt that Jacob Rees-Mogg has lost a single second of sleep, given the nature of the companies in his group.

In any case, and I appreciate that this generally isn't mentioned in Facebook memes, but UK CFC legislation was updated from 1 January this year to make it compliant with ATAD in its entirety.  In short, the EU laws are ALREADY IN PLACE IN THE UK.  The EU rules are just their way of implementing OECD proposals in any case, so in or out of the EU won't make much of a difference.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I understood that Mogg had shares in one of the big companies affected by these laws? I might have misread something.

Aha, it was a pay off. So not quite what I remembered. I was sure I read he had close ties to an investment firm which would be impacted. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/paradise-papers-jacob-rees-mogg-pocketed-520000-offshore-investment-firm-517932

Jacob Rees-Mogg received over half a million pounds while working for an offshore investment firm, the Paradise Papers have revealed.

The leaked documents reportedly show that the Tory MP pocketed $680,000 (£520,000) when the British Virgin Islands-based company was bought by a Canadian bank.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

And alot will just leave the country. Not as simple as that. But as you say if they don't leave they will find a loophole.

I think it's pretty unlikely that a lot of SME's will leave the country in the event of a Labour victory.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's pretty unlikely that a lot of SME's will leave the country in the event of a Labour victory.

Yep a quick google of Corporation Tax rates around the developed would show that ours would still be pretty low at 26%

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Labour will raise corporation tax from 19% to 26%.  This is quite an increase and will affect SME’s quite a lot.

Wouldn't it be more logical to help smaller businesses to start and grow,  it seems a bit of a mad policy ? So Labour will run away from Brexit only to give business a good kicking ?

For a small business it's impossible to compete with the economies of scale of the mega firms.

Just have it in steps based on factors such as revenue,  greeness,  equality and employee numbers.  Would that work (More variables,  less easy to fix)?

24 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Wouldn't it be more logical to help smaller businesses to start and grow,  it seems a bit of a mad policy ? So Labour will run away from Brexit only to give business a good kicking ?

For a small business it's impossible to compete with the economies of scale of the mega firms.

Just have it in steps based on factors such as revenue,  greeness,  equality and employee numbers.  Would that work (More variables,  less easy to fix)?

Exactly.  

Also reading through labours pledges they seem ridiculously costly. A lot of it seems unrealistic. I get people voting for Labour to keep us in the EU but I do fear for the state of the country in the coming years with Labour in charge.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1