The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

4 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

I wish I could get antibiotics! As I said, I still don't feel well, but not only have they refused to prescribe more, but I put in a prescription for new inhalers the other day and it was refused as I have to wait another 4 days before I can request them. Duty of care, eh?

I called the doctors last week and asked for more antibiotics, a doctor called me back later that afternoon and said it can't be done over the phone - offered me an appointment with the nurse practitioner, I accepted as I needed something - antibiotics, steroids, and yet when I got there it was the same NP who gave me a nose spray instead of medication before. She said "chest infections can last 3 weeks and we don't like to give out antibiotics too often, go home and rest, inhale steam."

sorry to hear about your health isuses

is this more the policy of your local GP  ?  it seems  to be very random across the country in the levels of care people are receiving which is why i ask 

thankfully i don't have to use my local Doctor a lot but my GP I can book online and see almost whenever I want  ,  if i want my regular doctor I may have to wait a few days but there is always an option of seeing a locum same day or next morning  .

Anecdotally , I have a regular injection in my knees that Bupa previously covered and now refuse to do so , the knee consultant said he can do it through the NHS via pathway referral ,all i need to do is see my GP and get a reference number  ..Went to my GP last week  who said I can do those injections here save you having to go all the way to Chatham (where my knee consultant is based)  and having to wait about 4 months for a referral  ... did the knee there and then for me.

I live in a small village and maybe that's the main factor in the level of care we seem to get  ?

probably, smaller village GPs I presume are likely to have fewer patients per GP ratio for a start, and in more affluent areas, you are going to have more use of private health care among the catchment area I'm guessing. 

Growing up in a rural area, I never had a problem booking a doctor's appointment, but since moving to a city 15 odd years ago it has grown steadily worse, that the past couple of years, i find booking an appointment stressful, the rush to call up on the day by 8.30 for a same day appointment, the policy of calling up for a future appointment was two weeks on from the day you call, but no further forward which was always annoying as if that day was booked up, they wouldn't just look at the next day in their calendar, I'd have to call up the next day :bang:

tbf within cities the policy has varied wildly, I used to find it easy to book in about 6/7 years ago when I lived in a different part of the city, and get seen within days. Having recently moved I'm yet to check out the latest policy, given it's a densely residential area still I assume it won't be easy but who knows. 

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

probably, smaller village GPs I presume are likely to have fewer patients per GP ratio for a start, and in more affluent areas, you are going to have more use of private health care among the catchment area I'm guessing. 

Growing up in a rural area, I never had a problem booking a doctor's appointment, but since moving to a city 15 odd years ago it has grown steadily worse, that the past couple of years, i find booking an appointment stressful, the rush to call up on the day by 8.30 for a same day appointment, the policy of calling up for a future appointment was two weeks on from the day you call, but no further forward which was always annoying as if that day was booked up, they wouldn't just look at the next day in their calendar, I'd have to call up the next day :bang:

tbf within cities the policy has varied wildly, I used to find it easy to book in about 6/7 years ago when I lived in a different part of the city, and get seen within days. Having recently moved I'm yet to check out the latest policy, given it's a densely residential area still I assume it won't be easy but who knows. 

This is because they privatised GP Services by stealth years ago

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

sorry to hear about your health isuses

is this more the policy of your local GP  ?  it seems  to be very random across the country in the levels of care people are receiving which is why i ask 

thankfully i don't have to use my local Doctor a lot but my GP I can book online and see almost whenever I want  ,  if i want my regular doctor I may have to wait a few days but there is always an option of seeing a locum same day or next morning  .

Anecdotally , I have a regular injection in my knees that Bupa previously covered and now refuse to do so , the knee consultant said he can do it through the NHS via pathway referral ,all i need to do is see my GP and get a reference number  ..Went to my GP last week  who said I can do those injections here save you having to go all the way to Chatham (where my knee consultant is based)  and having to wait about 4 months for a referral  ... did the knee there and then for me.

I live in a small village and maybe that's the main factor in the level of care we seem to get  ?

Thanks, mate. 👍

I can book appointments online, and I just checked, the next one is for Monday 11th. Shocking - I need to go back as the illness just isn't shaking, it seems to be getting steadily worse again. I'm having to work from home as I feel like I can't breathe for long periods. I just don't want to go through the same process where I feel like the NP will only give me what she thinks is best, refusing to listen to what I know through 30+ years of asthma and chest infections 😂

I think it probably is their policy. They have one GP in for the whole day, so my feeling is that they just want to get people in and out asap and stats come before health. I believe there is a target to see a certain amount of patients in an hour? Could be wrong. 

I wish my doctor could do what yours does 😁. I'm actually due another injection in my foot, but it's a nightmare to get to that point so I might not go again. 

Your small village gets better care than my proxy island 😁

Having been to the doctors a lot in the last couple of years, I can say with certainty I've seen my actual GP once. And even that was because I had to see him to get a form completed. If you want to get an appointment, you either have to queue up outside at 8.25 to rush in and try to get to a receptionist first, or try a literal lottery on the phone where you start calling at 8.28 and pray you are the one that gets the timing right as the receptionist turn on the phones proper. They seem to keep a few emergency slots open which are inevitably for infants and the practice does have an admirable policy of not refusing to see very young children even where there are no appointments.

If you do get an appointment, it'll inevitably be with a trainee doctor, as the practice shifted to becoming a training surgery. Which is fine, obviously doctors need to train and to be perfectly honest I don't care who I see, the only annoyance being having to go through the whole story of my illnesses every time I see someone. The biggest problem though is this causes huge waiting times as the trainees then have to get their decisions signed off by one of the 2 actual qualified doctors there, who're doing their own appointments. Said doctors, bar the main guy, my GP, have an enormous turn over with few rarely staying more than a year.

The surgery I would imagine has a pretty big catchment, with the area split between predominantly elderly patients and younger poor patients with young children. It seems pretty evident that the practice is just about barely coping. I've had an appointment in the spring before now where I waited for over an hour and 20 minutes after my allotted time to be seen. I suspect the shift to being a training practice was partly to open up funding and partly just to try to help carry the load, but which has had the side effect of lengthening appointment times.

It's pretty clear we need increased investment in the NHS, but also for that investment to be made much more smartly. Unfortunately the Tory plan for this is to quietly shift the burden of the NHS while pretending it hasn't, turning the NHS into less of a government service for the good of the country and more of a brand to slap on outsourced services, preferably ones they've got a vested interest in.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This board always seems pretty remarkably left of centre, so quite surprising to see 15% intend to vote for the Conservatives.

Silent Tories indeed!

Maybe,  as the country some peoples vote can be described as fluid at the moment and not fixed.😁

With all the money being promised,  foolish to place bets yet.  Corbyn might offer to re tarmac everyone drive and triple glaze everyone front room,  he's just getting warm.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This board always seems pretty remarkably left of centre, so quite surprising to see 15% intend to vote for the Conservatives.

Silent Tories indeed!

Not sure if the Mods can see who voted what or if they care enough to look 🙂 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Silent Tories indeed!

There's a not insignificant minority of right wingers on the forum. The left leaning are the majority but also the more vocal.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a not insignificant minority of right wingers on the forum. The left leaning are the majority but also the more vocal.

I think that's true of the British public in general. On the run up to the EU referendum very few people openly stated they would vote leave. I assume its for risk of being brandished racist.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think that's true of the British public in general. On the run up to the EU referendum very few people openly stated they would vote leave. I assume its for risk of being brandished racist.

England leans notably right on a constituency by constituency basis. 

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yes - hence the silent Tories stuff.  It seems to generally stand true, including on here.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

A small village in conservative Surrey compared to a large town or city, particularly in the midlands or north is always going to be better off. the small village will be wealthier, have had fewer cuts to budgets imposed from the Central government, it will be more affluent and have fewer problems with drugs, violent crime, bad diet and so on. So yeah, the main factor. Lucky you. 

• Like 1