Do you read?

Luke_W

I'm reading The Rotters Club at the moment.

Obviously reading the book as a Brummie really enhances your understanding, but the book itself is still a really good read.

Totally. As someone who was in that place at that time it all rings amazingly true (down to all the pubs mentioned). My 18 year old daughter read it and also loved it, but with the vital difference that she didn't know about the Tavern in the Town incident, so it came as a huge shock.

• 2 months later...

I read a hell of alot, I probably read more than I watch tv...

I do like the odd fictional book but Im really into history or biographic books..

The book on Pablo Escobar (called 'killing pablo') and Nikita Kruschev were amazing reads. Im currently reading 'the decline and fall of the british empire' which is also damn good.

Jarhead, World War Z (great fun, highly recommended), bird song are all great novels ive had the pleasure of reading recently. I see lots here are quoting Iain Banks books? Ive heard he is very good, I think Ive read one of his called 'the wasp factory' which was brilliant but Im not certain is the same author.

If your into sci-fi then i recommend the horus heresy series of novels. Based around the warhammer 40k universerve, but doesnt matter if you arent a fan, theres about 8 books so far and another couple coming, real epic story.

Ive got a whole rack of books of the same type which i will be probably dropping into a charity shop soon. If you live near Solihull and want to grab some feel free to drop me a message.

NO THANKS! Books are for idiots. What's the point in reading Stephen King's IT if you can watch Stephen King's IT? Why read the Bible if we have 'The life of Brian' and/or 'The passion of the Christ'? What's the point in reading?

To emphasize my point:

My mother sent gave me a book the christmas before last, a Ben Elton book. I didn't want to be rude and tell her - I dont read, what's the point in reading! So I waited until her birthday a few months later in march and I sent it back to her with an inscription: 'Sorry, I don't read, there's no point, but I know you do so hopefully you'll appreciate it, lots of love, xliosive x'

She found it sweet and read it and enjoyed it. Each to their own I guess but I certainly don't have that gene, thank god.

i recently finished slash` autobiography, O.J.simpsons` "IF i did it" and david Davies f.a. confidential.

the slash book is quite good, a few chapters are a bit repetitive "so i took this smack, woke up with some girl sucking my dick, did some more smack" other than that, its a good read.

O.J.simpsons book, if i did it is his side of story, and how he WOULD have killed nicole brown and ron goldman, most of the chapters are O.J. talking about his marriage and then the chapter about how he would have killed his wife. its a chilling read.

and David Davies - F.A. Confidential, david was the cheif exec (i think) for the f.a. since 96 to 2006, talks about how unprepared the f.a. are to tackle modern issues in football, and what fifa, or in particular seb blatter thinks of us. and svens affairs.

Finished William Napiers "Attila" trilogy the other day .. trouble with these sort of books is that i read the first one about 18 mths ago so you really need to refresh yourself of the first 2 books before carrying on with the third ...

Current reading Pharaoh by some Italian bloke( he who wrote lost Legion and so on) , it's been translated from Italian to English but some of it doesn't seem to have translated well ... about half way through so far quite a compelling read ,more if you have an interest in ancient Egypt and the middle East .....

To emphasize my point:

My mother sent gave me a book the christmas before last, a Ben Elton book. I didn't want to be rude and tell her - I dont read, what's the point in reading! So I waited until her birthday a few months later in march and I sent it back to her with an inscription: 'Sorry, I don't read, there's no point, but I know you do so hopefully you'll appreciate it, lots of love, xliosive x'

She found it sweet and read it and enjoyed it. Each to their own I guess but I certainly don't have that gene, thank god.

Christ, you were serious! I assumed your previous post was ironical.

Different planet.

Â