Do you read?

Luke_W

ive got about 100pages left of david coulthards autobiography, not too much in the way of stories about races etc, a lot of stuff away from the track which is a bit disapointing, theres a few chapters where he talks about his relationship with hakkinen and schumacher, but its mostly about women his knobed.

1984 is an incredible book. Orwells style at times makes it a bit of a slog but what he is describing is brilliant. An awful lot of what he came up with in the book has, in one way or another, started to appear in the modern world.

I'd also recommend looking at Brave New World after 1984, the books generally get compared with each other for their different portayals of dystopia.

Both cracking books, though I disagree about Orwell's style - I think he writes well. Have you read his collected essays? Cracking read, writes about all sorts from tea making to patriotism, living as a tramp, Dickens, written English. He's can be quite sparing with his words, which is sometimes less entertaining, but I always find him clear.

Brave New World I would argue is more relevant to today than 1984 - a technologically advanced world obsessed with consumerism, detached from natural processes, over-reliant on chemicals...

"The Doors of Perception" and "Heaven and Hell" by Huxley are also amazing - essays on his experiences with mescalin and his subsequent thoughts on hallucinogenics, human psychology and concepts of mental heaven and hell.

I actually think that Brave New World is probably the more relevant as well. There are a great number of 'Orwellian' echoes in politics today but BNW could probably have greater parallels to today and the future. It might perhaps be more accurate to say that aspects of both could come to fruition (worryingly).

I also think that BNW is perhaps the better concept, but it's not quite as well written. None of the characters are particularly likeable, although I supose it's arguable thats the very point of the book... still, a very very interesting read. I had to compare both of them for my A Level English Lit course, specifically comparing Bernard and Winston as characters and vessels for the authors aim. Interesting stuff.

Not read any of their other works, although a lot of it sounds fascinating. Huxley wrote another book on Brave New World, BNW Revisted or something like that, looking at the way science was heading or along those lines at least, which I wanted to have a look at but never got round to. I don;t really have the time these days between uni books, drinking, and job searching to read them, or anything else right now.

BNW revisited is OK, not a mind-blowing read but certainly readable. There's always time though if you're at uni - unless of course you have finals. Even then you need something to take your mind off work. Wish I'd read more then instead of having shit nights out and watching bollocks telly.

• 1 month later...

Can somebody recommend me a few good books to read? (as a prospective English student)

I'm off to the library in a few minutes, and need quick answers.

If anybody could dig up an old thread I'd much appreciate it!

Interested in Russian Literature and Romance particularly.

Oh, well I suppose this thread is as good as the other four...

Currently reading:

J. G. Farrell - The Singapore Grip

Bill Bryson - Shakespeare

Peter Ackroyd - Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination (and no, it's NOT about the Baggies...)

Can somebody recommend me a few good books to read? (as a prospective English student)

I'm off to the library in a few minutes, and need quick answers.

If anybody could dig up an old thread I'd much appreciate it!

Interested in Russian Literature and Romance particularly.

Mikhail Bulgakov - The Master and Margharita

Lev Tolstoy - War and Peace

Mikhail Sholokov - And Quiet Flows The Don

Gogol - Collected Short Stories

Vasiily Grossmann - Life And Fate

Vladimir Nabokov - Pale Fire

tried reading that: " A short history of ukrainina tractors" after I heard it got good reviews. A middle aged persons book if a book can ever be classified by age. It's ok and I can appreciate it but can't finish it. Starting reading: Flashman instead, which is far more amusing.

Halfway through a book called "Pointless", which goes through what an average season with Scottish Third Division side East Stirlingshire - the worst team in Britain.
Bloody hell, that sounds gripping... :|

In a similar vein, Tim Parks' A Season With Verona is very good.

Halfway through a book called "Pointless", which goes through what an average season with Scottish Third Division side East Stirlingshire - the worst team in Britain.
Bloody hell, that sounds gripping... :|

It is actually, because they're bloody awful.

recently i have read

paulo coelho: the alchemist

shane magowan's autobiography

i have america surrounded: timothy learys biog.

currently reading the virgin suicides and the bobby sands biography by denis o'hearn, also a good read.

Â