Do you read?

Luke_W

To emphasize my point:

My mother sent gave me a book the christmas before last, a Ben Elton book. I didn't want to be rude and tell her - I dont read, what's the point in reading! So I waited until her birthday a few months later in march and I sent it back to her with an inscription: 'Sorry, I don't read, there's no point, but I know you do so hopefully you'll appreciate it, lots of love, xliosive x'

She found it sweet and read it and enjoyed it. Each to their own I guess but I certainly don't have that gene, thank god.

Christ, you were serious! I assumed your previous post was ironical.

Different planet.

So did i Mjmooney!

NO THANKS! Books are for idiots

:shock:

if you don't read then how do you learn stuff about things ?

it's what I love about Internet Forums though ..here's my opinion and if you don't agree ,you must be an idiot ... sigh

I suspect if we took a poll on your view , yours might be the only vote ?

PS

I do agree with your choice of not reading Ben Elton and giving it back though :-)

Recently finished Mobius Dick, recommended by Mike, was a good read but I was expecting more scary quantum stuff.

Just finished Annie Proulx latest short stories, not great but still Annie.

At the moment reading a cheap holiday book that is irritatingly poorly written but has a great story.

Next up is 'Capricornia' which the film 'Australia' is based on. If it is anything like 'The Secret River' it'll be bostin.

Had a rake more Xmas books to plough through in due course.

if you don't read then how do you learn stuff about things ?

Well, that depends on how you define read. Everyone on this forum reads in the simplist sense, otherwise you wouldn't have ben able to sign up.. I learn stuff through either being told or on tv, radio, skimming websites, etc. But I don't really consider it 'reading', as stupid as that sounds..

But for me, I don't really read books. I have the Aston Villa Miscellany that I'm reading at the moment, but other than that.. Anne Franks Diary, Of Mice and Men, Romeo and Julliet and a few others that we were forced to read at school. Doesn't appeal to me, just don't have the patience or attention to read.

I see lots here are quoting Iain Banks books? Ive heard he is very good, I think Ive read one of his called 'the wasp factory' which was brilliant but Im not certain is the same author.
It is. He uses two variants on his name: "Iain Banks" for his "mainstream" fiction, and "Iain M. Banks" for his sf. But the borderline between the two is sometimes blurred (as in the case of "The Bridge").

Anybody read any SF or fantasy recently?
Not long finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

Other recent reads include:

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Tree of Smoke - Denis Johnson

Empire of Sand - Robert Ryan

Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination - Peter Ackroyd

Engleby - Sebastian Faulks

The Meaning of Things: Applying Philosophy to Life - A.C. Grayling

Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino

The Making of Music: A Journey with Notes - James Naughtie

The Castle in the Forest - Norman Mailer

A Sport and a Pastime - James Salter

Burning the Days - James Salter

The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell

The Complete Western Stories - Elmore Leonard

Shakespeare: The World as a Stage - Bill Bryson

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami

Forgotten Armies: Britain's Asian Empire & the War with Japan - Christopher Bayly

Austerity Britain - David Kynaston

A World Without Bees - Alison Benjamin

Trains and Buttered Toast: Selected Radio Talks - John Betjeman

Bringing It All Back Home - Ian Clayton

This Is Your Brain on Music - Daniel J. Levitin

The March: A Novel - E.L. Doctorow

Peace And War: The Omnibus Edition - Joe Haldeman

Ascent - Jed Mercurio

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester

A Pair of Silver Wings - James Holland

The Song Before It Is Sung - Justin Cartwright

All reviewed under the "books" application on my Facebook page (which also includes my "favourites" list).

Currently reading:

Winnie and Wolf - A.N. Wilson

D-Day June 6, 1944 - Stephen E. Ambrose

Crazy Horse and Custer - Stephen E. Ambrose

Cultural Amnesia: Notes in the Margin of My Time - Clive James

I don't read because I once read a book that made me physically sick. Ever since then I havn't been able to read again. I find people who read are generally very aloof and most of them are probably upper-class or landed gentry. The only time you will catch me read nowadays is to read about something bad that has happened to someone who reads.

I don't read because I once read a book that made me physically sick. Ever since then I havn't been able to read again. I find people who read are generally very aloof and most of them are probably upper-class or landed gentry. The only time you will catch me read nowadays is to read about something bad that has happened to someone who reads.

Please remove your head from your arse!

That is so stereotypical its untrue. Just because someone reads it means they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth? Oh what a sheltered life you must lead.

That is so stereotypical its untrue. Just because someone reads it means they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth? Oh what a sheltered life you must lead.

My friend, just take a look outside the window. Do you see people reading? No! That is because it's real life out there and in REAL life there is no need for the solipsistical whimsical retreat into some fantasy land of someone else's imagination. Reading has no point and will never achieve anything. I was born on the streets and will die on them too. Not in Narnia, Mordor, Theodora or bloody Tralfamadore!

I was born on the streets and will die on them too.

Jesus christ you sound like Snoop Dogg!

Just because you dont read it means that it is pointless to everyone else? Yes you are entitled to you own view, but i just find it a little strange. You say look out the window, i look out the window and all i see is tradegy, well actually i see a frozen canal and to be honest i would find it a little weird to see someone sat on the ice reading a book. Everywhere you look there is war, people of all ages getting killed. So why the hell do most of us want to look at that everyday of our lives? Fictional books are created so that people can open their mind and use there imagination, they are not meant to be taken seriously.

I was born on the streets and will die on them too

I knew Wales was a bit of a dive but I didn't realise it was that bad that people were giving birth and sleeping on the streets

All I'm saying is I'm working class with a capital C and my people have bigger concerns than... giants that are actually windmills, or... secret underground postal services or whatever. Life is too short to waste it in a stupid book.

All I'm saying is I'm working class with a capital C and my people have bigger concerns than... giants that are actually windmills or... secret underground postal services or whatever. Life is too short to waste it in a stupid book.

So instead you spend all your days worrying about whats going to happen next? Mate im working class and just because you read doesnt make you any different. The point of fictional books are to get away from all the stresses of real life, while you read your not worrying about the fact you have no money or whatever else maybe on your mind, and that is the whole point.

Also you say ''my people'', what the hell is that supposed to mean?

does the capital C stand for "Chip" ? the class system died out years ago Xliosive , even the working mans party send their children to private schools and have chauffer driven cars and big houses

I'm sure you are on a windup and I really should not bother ...

so anyway back to the topic about do you read ......

Not in Narnia, Mordor, Theodora or bloody Tralfamadore!

For someone who doesnt read you seem to know the settings of a few books

I feel xliosive may be pulling a few legs

Yep, starting to get the feeling ive been Rick rolled :twisted:

Nah, heard about them from films which were books.

Â