Do you read?

Luke_W

bruno has loved & hyped up by the british public..in the main franks fights were on bbc live,when he got his chance against mike tyson he sold his rights to sky pay per view,bruno v tyson was the first ever pay per view in the uk,he s@it on the uk boxing fans.

I've just finished The Dealer and the Dead, as recommended by somebody on here. Great book and a fantastic ending.

Also read this following the recommendation - thoroughly decent (once I got to grips with all the characters!!!!) read with a good outcome!

I'm off to Sharm next week to lie around the pool for a week with my Kindle and iPod as company! I've got Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, spy to read as well as the Bourne trilogy. Any other suggestions for spy/espionage thrillers?

Currently on the last of the millenium trilogy - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest.

I've enjoyed all three, brilliant crime fiction.

Im reading this one too, bit of a chore TBH.

I felt I had to read the third after the first two and its quite easy reading but Im a bit bored of it now.

I think im going to move back to the classics after, I have my eye on ''The Count of Monte Cristo'.

I've read the first two, really enjoyed them and felt I should complete the set, but yeah, bit of a chore sums it up for me too.

Going to give Life and Fate by Vas grossman a go. Post war soviet union interests me and it's got some rave reviews.

Going to give Life and Fate by Vas grossman a go. Post war soviet union interests me and it's got some rave reviews.
It's a bit of a ramble, but I really enjoyed Life and Fate - the Stalingrad sections especially.

In a similar vein, you might also like:

518VH8HH63L._SS500_.jpg

My rave review from Amazon:

Where to begin?

This is an enormous, serious novel. If you are interested by the history of the first half of the 20th Century (as I am), a fan of the music of Dimitri Shostakovich (as I am), and a lover of literary fiction (as I am) the this book is tailor-made for you. If you are none of those things, you should perhaps approach with caution.

Vollmann has taken a number of 20th Century lives (notably Shostakovich, the defeated Stalingrad general Paulus, the turncoat Russian Vlasov, the well-intentioned SS man Kurt Gerstein, and many others) and woven them into a fictionalised saga to explore the moral maze of Hitler's and Stalin's Europe.

But this is no airport novel. The writing style changes frequently, sometimes spare and straightforward, sometimes outrageously experimental, echoing the music of Shostakovich whose role - in what Vollmann calls "an imaginary love triangle" - is the heart and soul of the book (access to recordings of the symphonies, the cello sonata and the harrowing 8th quartet is highly recommended as an accompanying "soundtrack").

I find it difficult to find suitable comparisons for this book; what it reminded me of most was not literary, but sonic and visual: the aforementioned Shostakovich music, the films of Tarkovsky, the grainy black-and-white images of the 1970s TV series "The World At War". Whatever one tries to compare it to, there is no denying that this evocation of the Berlin-Moscow nightmare world of the 30s, 40s and 50s is a remarkable achievement by a young(ish) American writer, whose work I will be exploring further.

The word "masterpiece" is undoubtedly over-used, but I feel it is justified here.

I caved in and got a Kindle for my holiday (I was going to wait until they came out in paperback so they'd be cheaper). I'm reading the latest Peter James novel basically because they're set around where I live and they're generally enjoyable. I've recently worked my way through most of Robert Harris's books, I loved The Ghost and Archangel.

Not a big reader but when i do read its mainly stuff chris ryan and andy mcnab and those sort of authors who i read, just finished Zero Hour which was a good read. ive just started to read Sniper One which got recommended to me quite enjoyable atm

Thinking of getting Daisy Buchanan's Daughter, which is a purported biography of the daughter of Daisy and Tom Buchanan from The Great Gatsby becomes a war correspondent at Anzio, Omaha Beach, and Dachau, has sex with a young congressman named Lyndon Baines Johnson, and otherwise integrates herself into the narrative of most of "The American Century".

Though, to be fair, the premise of Gilligan's Wake sounds a bit more fun.

Has anyone read any Haruki Murakami? I read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World not too long ago and really enjoyed it, and have seen that the forthcoming translation of his latest '1Q84' instalment is getting a lot of hype. My friend says The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is a great read, anyone have similar or other thoughts?

just started reading Elfriede Jelineks Wonderful Wonderful Times - a story about post WW2 Austria. She has a erm, rather viscerally efficient style of writing to say the least - but its very gripping - one of those books, you don't have to take more than one go to start reading straight away!

Have also just decided to have a bash at Kafka - the shorts + Metamorphosis collection. Only looked at a couple of the short pieces so far, nice and odd.

Has anyone read any Haruki Murakami? I read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World not too long ago and really enjoyed it, and have seen that the forthcoming translation of his latest '1Q84' instalment is getting a lot of hype. My friend says The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is a great read, anyone have similar or other thoughts?
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is **** fantastic.

I actually got up in the middle of the night to read it on a few occasions, it was that good.

EDIT: Oh, and his book on running is pretty good too (thread crossover).

After enjoying the Game Of Throne Series on TV, I picked up the Of Fire And Ice boxset...

Loving it, real gritty fantasy and has had me hooked. On book 5 and I can't believe the amount of twists, turns and shocks!

Funny, I also am glad I watched the series first as there are ALOT of characters, and visualising them from the TV series has really helped I think...

After enjoying the Game Of Throne Series on TV, I picked up the Of Fire And Ice boxset...

Loving it, real gritty fantasy and has had me hooked. On book 5 and I can't believe the amount of twists, turns and shocks!

Funny, I also am glad I watched the series first as there are ALOT of characters, and visualising them from the TV series has really helped I think...

I bet you thoroughly enjoy visualising Daenerys Targaryen.

Â