Do you read?

Luke_W

Finished Pratchetts new one the other day, Unseen Academicals. Not one of his best but not bad.

Read a bit of Transition by Iain Banks on the train today, got about 100 pages in and very intrigued by it, I can see it becoming a proper favourite if it continues in the same vein.

I don't read too often but the majority of my books are based upon the Mafia. Sometimes I'll step out of my comfort-zone and will read famous novels but about 70% of books I read are Mafia related. My next book will be "Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia"; I've watched a couple of documentries about Pistone's involvment as an under-cover FBI agent in the Bonanno family but I really want to read his book to get a more in-depth and personal experience from Pistone; once I have finished reading his book, I will then watch "Donnie Brasco" the film.

I don't read too often but the majority of my books are based upon the Mafia. Sometimes I'll step out of my comfort-zone and will read famous novels but about 70% of books I read are Mafia related. My next book will be "Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia"; I've watched a couple of documentries about Pistone's involvment as an under-cover FBI agent in the Bonanno family but I really want to read his book to get a more in-depth and personal experience from Pistone; once I have finished reading his book, I will then watch "Donnie Brasco" the film.

Aye, there's nowt like a bit of Mario Puzo every now and again. Omerta and the Last Don are two that spring to mind that I've enjoyed.

From the mafia documentaries I've seen, and the odd non-fiction book I've read, the way life imitates art when it comes to organised crime, particularly the Sicilian/Italian variety, is fascinating.

Donnie Brasco is a quality flick too.

just finished , The accidental millionnaires by Ben Mezrich ..about the people behind creating facebook ..never knew Napster matey was involved ( and napster matey was also involved with Plaxo)

Not as good as Bringing down the house or his other work but still a good read

I know (because I saw it) I'm getting D-Day by Anthony Beevor for Christmas, if it's even half as good as Stalingrad and Berlin I'll have a happy 2 or 3 days
Liked Stalingrad, haven't got round to Berlin yet - not sure I fancy such grim reading, despite being a big reader of WWII history books.

And I have read SO many D-Day books, I'm a bit Overlorded-out.

I've just gotten into reading in the last couple of months. I've started actually taking a lunch break at work instead of working straight through it.

As i've not really got any where to go on my break and i kinda need to stick around my desk area any way incase any one rings with an important call, i've begun sitting here with a good book.

I'm currently loving the discworld series. only read 2 of them (currently on my 3rd) but i really enjoy them. I had a feeling i would after watching the two things that sky did on them.

Aye, there's nowt like a bit of Mario Puzo every now and again. Omerta and the Last Don are two that spring to mind that I've enjoyed.

From the mafia documentaries I've seen, and the odd non-fiction book I've read, the way life imitates art when it comes to organised crime, particularly the Sicilian/Italian variety, is fascinating.

Donnie Brasco is a quality flick too.

Indeed.

I don't think a lot of people truly understand what the Mafia is about, how it operates and what the Mafia stands for. It really is mind-blowing to think how the original Mafia started in Sicily and then became the biggest criminal organization across North America due to the mass-immigration from Sicily and southern-Italy which then affectively was the 'American Mafia'. Luciano, Gambino, Bonanno... what interesting and powerful men they were... I could talk about them all day.

Does anyone know of any crime authors that have a similar style to Pelecanos, Block, or Rankin? I'm looking for some new reading material as I have read everything they have to offer. :(
Never read any of them, but after VT recommendations I got into James Ellroy, and by **** is he good.

Does anyone know of any crime authors that have a similar style to Pelecanos, Block, or Rankin? I'm looking for some new reading material as I have read everything they have to offer. :(
Never read any of them, but after VT recommendations I got into James Ellroy, and by **** is he good.

Cheers, I'll give him a look. I'd highly recommend giving George Pelecanos and Ian Rankin a look by the way.

Big fan on Pelecanos. Michael Connolly and Harlen Coben are good too

Â