Do you read?

Luke_W

Just started reading Empire of Sands by Robert Ryan ... story about Lawrence of Arabia given the sort of true but not quite true fictional story angle ..
Read that last year, enjoyed it. I like Ryan's books, read most of them, but his last couple before that one had gone off the boil a bit. I thought "Sands" was a return to form.

• 1 month later...

Always worth digging up this thread I reckon.

My current, but hopefully temporary, job means the best part of two hours in total travelling on the Metro into the Toon and has meant that I'm ploughing through books at the minute. In the last fortnight I've:

- finally finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and it was well worth it IMO - just the concept and that scale of the thing is impressive and to tie everything in to a very readable, and sort of believable story, is mind-boggling really.

- polished off Drama City by George Pelecanos. My 3rd book by him and will definitely not be the last. Superb crime writing - set on the streets of Washington DC and, as you'd expect from one of David Simon's collaborators, like reading an episode of The Wire.

- got halfway through On The Road by Jack Kerouac, which I'm enjoying, and hope to finish this week.

Next up either The Perfect Spy by John Le Carre or one of a couple of Ian McEwans I've recently acquired from the excellent Bookmooch - many of those on my Bookmooch wishlist have come from this very thread. That Le Carre one from Mr Mooney IIRC

In the past couple of weeks I've

-reread Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum, which is a good satire of vampires and has some ideas on the notion of religion too.

-finally read No Country for Old Men, which after the film I enjoyed a lot and flew through, although I found McCarthy's style (lack of quotation marks for speech especially) a bit jarring at first, and I'm still not sure I like it. but otherwise a very good read.

-and start Iain Banks' Whit, 4 chapters in and liking where it seems to be going currently, even I think the overall plot arch looks a little predictable I think it'll be a good read regardless.

- finally finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and it was well worth it IMO - just the concept and that scale of the thing is impressive and to tie everything in to a very readable, and sort of believable story, is mind-boggling really.
My wife raved about this, and I gave it a go a couple of months ago. Couldn't get on with it at all, and gave up after about four chapters. Reminded me of Dickens - her favourite writer, but my bete noir.

- got halfway through On The Road by Jack Kerouac, which I'm enjoying, and hope to finish this week.

My daughter's just read this - she loved it. I read it in my 20s and I thought it was OK, but a bit lacking in plot (which was kind of the point, I know).

- Next up either The Perfect Spy by John Le Carre or one of a couple of Ian McEwans I've recently acquired from the excellent Bookmooch - many of those on my Bookmooch wishlist have come from this very thread. That Le Carre one from Mr Mooney IIRC
Yep, loved it, easily my favouite Le Carre - fairly autobiographical, apparently.

I'm nearing the end of "The Pacific" (OK, but no "Band of Brothers"), and Lewis Grassic Gibbon's 1933 "Spartacus" - very good indeed, and tremendously violent!

My wife raved about this, and I gave it a go a couple of months ago. Couldn't get on with it at all, and gave up after about four chapters. Reminded me of Dickens - her favourite writer, but my bete noir.

Yeah, I could see why someone who wasn't into Dickens wouldn't like it.

My daughter's just read this - she loved it. I read it in my 20s and I thought it was OK, but a bit lacking in plot (which was kind of the point, I know).

It isn't exactly rocking my world either. I was expecting more. There's much to admire about OTR, but I think 'OK' probably sums up my feelings on it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever read Agatha Christie? The woman I hang around with these days thinks she is really good and she's one of the most read authors when it comes to the detective genre, I think, so I gave it a go. I'm reading "Lord Edgware dies" and it's, well, not very good. Not bad either. Slow but a little charming, especially the old language that's used. And Poirot can be quite funny sometimes. But not what I'd normally read.

At home I'm finally reading "Hunt for red October". That one is better.

Anyone ever read Agatha Christie? The woman I hang around with these days thinks she is really good and she's one of the most read authors when it comes to the detective genre, I think, so I gave it a go. I'm reading "Lord Edgware dies" and it's, well, not very good. Not bad either. Slow but a little charming, especially the old language that's used. And Poirot can be quite funny sometimes. But not what I'd normally read.

At home I'm finally reading "Hunt for red October". That one is better.

I have most of her books(in hardcover!) and have to say , she was brilliant. She was quite prolific with her output as well and to maintain those high standards while being as prolific as her is really rare in the world of fiction.

My first AC book was ".. And there were none" and I was hooked. The convoluted plots , the old fashioned setting and characters , the level of detail in her mysteries,, classic detective fiction.

I did grow out of her books though , especially since I discovered PD James but a great and pioneering writer of her genre , nonetheless.

Agatha Christie falls into the category of "Read one book, it was OK, felt no need whatsoever to read any more of what is basically an endlessly repetitive genre".

Other authors in this category include (going back to my childhood):

Enid Blyton (Famous Five)

Richmal Crompton (Just William)

Frank Richards (Billy Bunter)

and as an adult:

C. S. Forester (Hornblower series)

Stephen King (I think I read The Fog)

Georges Simenon (Maigret series)

Alistair Maclean (Ice Station Zebra)

Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth - gave up before the end)

James Michener (Chesapeake)

Jeffrey Archer (Shall We tell the President?)

Dan Brown (guess!)

Bernard Cornwell (The Winter King)

So far, never read a single word by Terry Pratchett, Dean Koontz, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler, Wilbur Smith, Stiegg Larsson, Robert Jordan, Lee Child. Harlan Coben, Jack Higgins, james Patterson, John Grisham.

I have however read almost everything by Patrick O'Brian, and am currently addicted to James Ellroy, so it's not that I am implacably opposed to genre series. Oh, and as a kid I loved J. T. Edson's (admittedly terrible) westerns.

Thank god you did not mention Colin Forbes in that list!

Stephen King is sometimes unfairly bunched along with 'genre' writers , which he is not , as I can attest to after having read all of his work. I suggest you to try 'The running man' or 'The Stand' if you have time on your hands. ;)

Â