Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

B for effort but could do better

Thinking aloud, Tony? If that's a reflection on your own post, I would say "C" would be fairer. We don't want grade inflation creeping in.

Could you perhaps put your case in a more robust, logical, and convincing manner?

At least give it a go, son.

Thinking aloud, Tony? If that's a reflection on your own post, I would say "C" would be fairer. We don't want grade inflation creeping in.

Could you perhaps put your case in a more robust, logical, and convincing manner?

At least give it a go, son.

law-of-diminishing-returns.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

did anyone go out and vote tonight in the police commissioners elections ?

I didn't ..not even sure I received a voting card tbh though I may have just binned it when it arrived thinking it was junk

did anyone go out and vote tonight in the police commissioners elections ?

I didn't ..not even sure I received a voting card tbh though I may have just binned it when it arrived thinking it was junk

I voted. Oddly it was some kind of first and second choice system.

I genuinely laughed out loud when I heard about that Newport polling station. They returned the ballot box empty :crylaugh:

I don't think I've heard such an enormous apathy and disdain for a vote before. It's a dumb idea and basically represents a lack of a mandate for these idiotic positions being put in place.

• Like 1

having been sure I'd spoil a ballot paper......I ended up not going out so not voting

to be honest, I was persuaded by my missus that a no show was better on this occassion as the apathy was more important than the protest

that from a woman that strongly believes in voting, never having previously missed even a local council election (she's a bit of a commie to be honest and the worst most scandalous inverted snob you'll ever meet, part of me would love her to be on twitter, the other half knows we couldn't afford the legal fees).

Nice try but He didn't get the most votes , he did get the most first choice votes however

Could have sworn this was the system that a lot of people wanted to replace first past the post when that didn't deliver the result some people wanted ... But it does seem a flawed method

In a touch of classic VT timing I see Prescott claimed a victory for reducing the Tory majority in that area ...something akin to what you just criticised a Tory spokesman for doing in Corby :-)

Nice try? He got the most votes, you even admit it. First choice is who people want?

Interestng how you and fellow tories who were so anti any other voting system other than most votes now embrace it as something fair? You are struggling to draw parallels i see with the tory demise in the proper elections and comments re this one. How could prescott claim to have reduced a majority in an election that has never been run before? And as for corby as you well know what green or whatever he is called this week claimed was just nonsense and nothing to do with this elction just a poor attempt to deflect from what was a very bad set of elections and policies for an already despised tory party

Did you even read my post ?

He didn't get the most votes , he got the second most votes , that the system delivering the result is flawed is another debate altogether

I didn't vote in the referendum about it but had I done so I would have voted for FPTP .....out of interest how would you have voted ?

Edit :

And just for you , the words from Prescott himself

Conceding the election, Lord Prescott wished Mr Grove well in the role.

He said: "Good luck in the job - we'll all be watching you."

The former deputy prime minister said he had "reduced a 30,000 Tory majority in the area to 2,000" and warned against the "privatisation of the police".

How could prescott claim to have reduced a majority in an election that has never been run before?

In those situations, normal practice is to estimate what the vote would be based on previous votes in the areas which now comprise the new seat. Since voting figures are recorded by fairly small areas, it's not hard to work out what the previous election would have been if the new boundaries had been in place then.

Nice try but He didn't get the most votes , he did get the most first choice votes however

Could have sworn this was the system that a lot of people wanted to replace first past the post when that didn't deliver the result some people wanted ... But it does seem a flawed method

In a touch of classic VT timing I see Prescott claimed a victory for reducing the Tory majority in that area ...something akin to what you just criticised a Tory spokesman for doing in Corby :-)

Say what you like about John Prescott, at least he got Michael Jackson out supporting him.

John-and-Pauline-Prescott-008.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Police account of Mark Duggan's injuries 'differs' from pathologist

Mark Duggan's injuries did not appear to be consistent with a police account of the fatal shooting, a Home Office pathologist has told a court.

Dr Simon Poole was testifying in the retrial of Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, who denies supplying an illegal gun to Mr Duggan the day he was shot.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Duggan had bullet wounds to the chest and upper right arm.

He was shot dead by police on 4 August 2011 in Tottenham, north London.

His death sparked riots which swept across the capital and the country.

'Can't be right'

The Old Bailey heard the fatal shot was to the chest, entering the front right hand side and exiting the back of Mr Duggan on the left hand side.

The other bullet entered the right upper arm and tracked down a few centimetres under the skin, before exiting the arm and grazing the skin of the chest.

The doctor said he was unable to say the order in which the bullets were fired.

Stuart Denney QC, barrister for Mr Hutchinson-Foster, asked the pathologist to imagine a scene in which Mr Duggan had got out of a minicab and was heading towards a wall beside the road while a police officer had got out of a car behind the taxi and was standing on the pavement.

The jury has already heard evidence from a police officer known as V53 who described a similar situation leading up to the shooting.

Mr Denney suggested that if the police officer then fired the shot that struck Mr Duggan in the chest, the track of the bullet would have to pass from the left to the right.

He asked the pathologist: "But in fact the chest wound is right to left?"

"Yes, that's right," answered Dr Poole.

Mr Denney said: "So the scenario can't be right? The officer fires to his left and the bullet hits Mr Duggan in the chest and it should go from left to right - but it went right to left. Therefore the scenario can't be right?"

"I agree," Dr Poole replied.

The trial continues.

• 6 months later...

Policeman fails to keep his weapon under control.

Police marksman keeps job after having sex on duty with gun around ankles

Gwent police condemned by IPCC for failing to submit clear report of incident and not referencing presence of loaded firearm

A police marksman who had sex on duty with a woman while his loaded gun was in a holster around his ankles has been allowed to keep his job, it has emerged.

The police watchdog condemned Gwent police's handling of the case, saying it had omitted key details in a report.

PC Shaun Jenkins was originally dismissed from the force over the incident in 2010 but reinstated on appeal.

He used a police armed response vehicle to get a lift to the house where the woman was, and was inside for between 30 to 40 minutes during which time he said he continued to monitor the police radio.

Jenkins is now a neighbourhood beat officer, Gwent police said, having been removed from firearms duties after the incident was reported by the woman's husband.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission said on Monday that the way Gwent police had handled the matter brought the police discipline system into disrepute.

The incident happened in Caerphilly in April 2010. Jenkins was on patrol in an armed response vehicle when he told his colleague, also in the car, he needed to visit a house that he owned, and which he had rented out to the woman and her husband.

It was there the woman, who has not been named, and PC Jenkins had consensual sex, with his gun attached to his trousers, which were down around his ankles.

After the woman's husband found out and complained to police, the Gwent force sent a report to the IPCC that redacted key details, such as the fact PC Jenkins had his weapon on him.

The IPCC report said: "It was further established at this time that the investigating officer's report provided to the complainant and the IPCC had been redacted to remove the reference to a firearm. There was no evidence provided to the IPCC that the report had been redacted to remove this information."

The document recounting the incident, which Jenkins submitted, should have read: "On arrival at the address he describes that himself and (redacted) engaged in sexual activity. He states that he took off his body armour, leaving his T-shirt, and then took down his trousers to his ankles in order to engage in sexual activity.

"He confirmed that his sidearm was still attached to his trousers at the time, in its holster, and that it was loaded. Following intercourse he again asked PC Jones to give (redacted) a lift in the ARV to a location in the (redacted) area.

PC Jenkins confirmed that he was still monitoring his radio during his time in the property."

Jenkins was dismissed in January 2011 but a police appeal panel gave him his job back in April 2012.

IPCC commissioner for Wales Tom Davies criticised the panel: "The finding of the police appeals panel that the gun was never out of PC Jenkins' direct and immediate control because it was in a holster, attached to his trousers, which were attached to him, albeit around his ankles, is surprising.

"I am also bemused by the panel's conclusion that his conduct did not significantly downgrade the protection to the public because there was nothing to suggest he could not have been back in the police vehicle within a minute or two. These findings can only undermine public confidence in the credibility of the police discipline system.

"Any officer having sex on duty is unacceptable behaviour that falls well below what is expected of all police officers. Those who carry firearms are rightly subject to the highest standards of training, procedures and discipline.

"The manner in which this complaint was originally handled by Gwent police is unacceptable and their attempts to 'fast-track' the complaint and deal with it outside the formal regulations are not good enough."

The IPCC said that Supt Paul Griffiths, head of Gwent's professional standards department when the case was originally dealt with, had since been moved from that role.

In a statement Gwent police said: "Gwent police notes and fully accepts the findings of the IPCC report which was critical of the force's handling of a complaint against a serving officer.

"Our complaints handling processes have been reviewed and improved as part of our on-going efforts to ensure we provide the best possible service to the public."

Â