Addiction

KentVillan

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Honestly, life is a **** horror show these days! Sometimes I just want to get obliterated. maybe if i ever hit age 75 ill just go for it lolol

Well if you make it that far you may as well say **** it and burn out 🙂  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well if you make it that far you may as well say **** it and burn out 🙂  

I'll drop you a line, we can make a weekend out of it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I am headed to in-patient rehab for alcohol in the next couple of days. I’ll miss you all, but I need to get sober.

The f***** up part is that they told me to keep drinking until I can get in to the facility and detox under supervision.

Good luck mate. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I am headed to in-patient rehab for alcohol in the next couple of days. I’ll miss you all, but I need to get sober.

The f***** up part is that they told me to keep drinking until I can get in to the facility and detox under supervision.

Good luck mate, it’ll be hell but peace is on the other side. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Good luck fella but wait till after the game on Sunday as it may inspire you🤞

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

After 15 days of treatment, I get to go home tomorrow. I’ll still be going through outpatient treatment and my goal is to hit 60 AA meetings in 60 days.

Honestly, I learned a ton here and met some very nice people who can relate to my disease. Nothing is a given, but I am equipped with the tools I need to stay away from alcohol. 

Funnily enough, I found out Ozzy Osbourne was in this same exact treatment center at one point.

Not easy to do what you’ve done. All the best with everything, and thanks for sharing 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2023 at 13:43, MNVillan said:

After 15 days of treatment, I get to go home tomorrow. I’ll still be going through outpatient treatment and my goal is to hit 60 AA meetings in 60 days.

Honestly, I learned a ton here and met some very nice people who can relate to my disease. Nothing is a given, but I am equipped with the tools I need to stay away from alcohol. 

Funnily enough, I found out Ozzy Osbourne was in this same exact treatment center at one point.

Sounds like you are ready to navigate change for the better, and better sounds like turning a page on your relationship with alcohol use.

The next chapter is yours to write, I know you have the strength and courage to make it one befitting of your energy, becoming closer to the person you envision and want to be.

60 meetings in 60 days will be challenging. It's a method that is pushed by those in the recovery circles. And for many it has proven worthwhile and achievable.

Remember that a goal is there to teach us about the way we go about achieving it. If you miss, consider why you missed, and that will give you greater insight on how to approach it next.

Be wary of your social battery, AA will expose you to other people and their journeys, their traumas, their battles. You mentioned that you learned a lot in the last 15 days, which makes me feel that you will take on much of what is said in the meetings to come.

Lastly, SMART Recovery is also an option for recovery meetings. I would encourage you to go to a few as well.

More power to you @MNVillan

All the very best

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few years ago I read a Guardian article that shocked me to the core, explaining how alcohol is the worst of all drugs, even worse than crack cocaine and heroin. Based on various criteria of harm to the individual and harm to others. Immediately I thought 'so how is the worst drug of all legal and many other less harmful drugs illegal?' It must be  because a majority of alcohol drinkers are strong and able to keep it in moderation? Well bravo them/you. 👏👏👏 Envious.

Well I'm not so strong, suffer from anxiety and PTSD and have ended up concluding that my life would have been easier and better if alcohol hadn't been legal and so available and so cheap in my late teens and 20s, when i became addicted to it. Is it not afterall the most destructive drug of all? Domestic violence cases, for example? (Not that I'm guilty of that, I'm a gentle person and hate violence, but still, alcohol addiction has affected me negatively overall and I've been  fighting a raging battle against it for years and years).

• Sad 1

At the end of the day it's a difficult situation because the majority of people who drink alcohol and are able to keep it in moderation should not be denied the right to consume alcohol, I respect that. Perhaps it's up to people like me to engage with rehab and counselling services more. I only just have recently aftet all these years of abuse.

I bet the main issue here is that I and many others are scared of needing to give up completey. I can face cutting down but not cutting it out totally. So year aftet year I keep trying, and failing, to drink in moderation, rather than quitting completely. And I've ended up feeling wrong and guilty, verging on ashamed, to have not quit completely by now, like a few of you have achieved. I really admire you for that achievement, as I think that would be incredibly hard for me.

Unfortunatley for me I guess I must be one of those 'addictive personalities'. But I know there are quite a lot of us, which gives me some comfort, that I'm very far from alone in this.

Edited by robby b

Â