Addiction

KentVillan

8 hours ago, leighavfc said:

Thanks 👍🏻 I have been ok, steered completely clear of drugs and my trigger alcohol over these past few weeks. 

Having a really tough time otherwise but just getting through how best I can... 

Have you tried the gym or any sort of physical exercise. I know it's been done to death but the feeling after a bit of a work out isn't to be underestimated. A run around the block , skipping... anything to get the heart rate going . It really clears my mind and as helped me when my life appeared to falling apart. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tinker said:

Have you tried the gym or any sort of physical exercise. I know it's been done to death but the feeling after a bit of a work out isn't to be underestimated. A run around the block , skipping... anything to get the heart rate going . It really clears my mind and as helped me when my life appeared to falling apart. 

Yeah I have done over the years, gyn not really my thing tbh. I do walk the dog most nights too which as you say helps clear the mind and this does really help me.. even just being out the four walls of doom as they have been the past few weeks. 

My problem is having time outside work and other commitments to do more but your right something along those lines I need to utilise through this 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Yeah I have done over the years, gyn not really my thing tbh. I do walk the dog most nights too which as you say helps clear the mind and this does really help me.. even just being out the four walls of doom as they have been the past few weeks. 

My problem is having time outside work and other commitments to do more but your right something along those lines I need to utilise through this 👍🏻

Yea it's hard to do with other aspects of life getting in the way but you have to take time out for yourself, even 10 minutes getting the heart rate going will have an affect over a week or so. Anyway its easy for me to say it but I know it's another world doing it.

One day at a time, make time for yourself, cook something special or watch some TV you enjoy , whatever it is that floats your boat do it. Good luck .

• 2 weeks later...

My struggles with alcohol are pretty well documented on here, I have a few months where I am well behaved and then everything goes to shit, in my own head it does any way, I'm generally pretty good when it comes to the drink these days.

I've been out with my mate tonight, first time I've seen him in about 12 months, he **** off about 3 hours ago, I'm still sitting here trying to justify why I should have another can, I don't think that anyone knows how much I struggle with the drink, Friday night on my own, I'll have a few cans and I'm fine, I order a meal and put a film on that I've seen 20 times before.

pub...I'm ****, I cant stop, I want to, and everything I do is based on the hangover, I'm pissed but I know I can have another 2 or 3 cans and I wont be too bad.

I'm off the wagon tonight and its horrible, I know that its a one off, but these one offs happen once every few months...

I dunno man, yeah, I know I'm gunna have another can...I'm gunna probably have another 2 or 3 on top of the 12 pints I've had and lets throw the 4 or 5 double rums that I've had .

people ask why I am reluctant to go out, that is the reason because when I start I cant stop.

anyways, I don't try and fight it...I am so much better than I used to be, yeah, I've fell off the wagon in a big way tonight, I'm gunna get  back on the hoss tomorrow and I'm gunna ride the word removed for as long as possible

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

My struggles with alcohol are pretty well documented on here, I have a few months where I am well behaved and then everything goes to shit, in my own head it does any way, I'm generally pretty good when it comes to the drink these days.

I've been out with my mate tonight, first time I've seen him in about 12 months, he **** off about 3 hours ago, I'm still sitting here trying to justify why I should have another can, I don't think that anyone knows how much I struggle with the drink, Friday night on my own, I'll have a few cans and I'm fine, I order a meal and put a film on that I've seen 20 times before.

pub...I'm ****, I cant stop, I want to, and everything I do is based on the hangover, I'm pissed but I know I can have another 2 or 3 cans and I wont be too bad.

I'm off the wagon tonight and its horrible, I know that its a one off, but these one offs happen once every few months...

I dunno man, yeah, I know I'm gunna have another can...I'm gunna probably have another 2 or 3 on top of the 12 pints I've had and lets throw the 4 or 5 double rums that I've had .

people ask why I am reluctant to go out, that is the reason because when I start I cant stop.

anyways, I don't try and fight it...I am so much better than I used to be, yeah, I've fell off the wagon in a big way tonight, I'm gunna get  back on the hoss tomorrow and I'm gunna ride the word removed for as long as possible

Yep, been there. When I’m sober it’s pretty easy to stay sober.

Once I get on the ride though, it’s hard to stop. I’ve been able to control that urge for the most part, but I definitely know the “why not one more?” question in the back of my mind.

fuuuuuuuuuuck, what is there to do other than go to bed?

I've had a good run, think I'm done..**** man...one more drink wont kill any one...nah.....I aint gunna do it, I've have enough, **** it, I don't need it...I'm good man

• Like 1

you know what, its the little things, I am my own hero tonight, I haven't had any more to drink and its nearly killed me, but I haven't done it, I'm a **** hero.

nearly 2 hours its took me to not have a drink, that's **** good going

14 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

you know what, its the little things, I am my own hero tonight, I haven't had any more to drink and its nearly killed me, but I haven't done it, I'm a **** hero.

nearly 2 hours its took me to not have a drink, that's **** good going

David Bowie has single handidly keft me on the **** wagon, cheers David, and thankyou my friend, 

8 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

This was me!  I’d wake up next day and carry on too.  I’d have that battle in my head about it being the last drink but would always lose. I would have no alcohol in the house or it would be hidden from me. This went on for years! 

That’s why I’ve finally accepted I need to quit for good.  breaks are pointless, I’ll never have control.

13 days dry now. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This was me!  I’d wake up next day and carry on too.  I’d have that battle in my head about it being the last drink but would always lose. I would have no alcohol in the house or it would be hidden from me. This went on for years! 

That’s why I’ve finally accepted I need to quit for good.  breaks are pointless, I’ll never have control.

13 days dry now. 

see, when I have alcohol in at home I don't have any problem at all, I have a few beers on a Friday night and sometimes I'll have a few when the villa are playing (christ knows that them ones are absolutely necessary) but these days I never go silly with it, at most I'll have 5 maybe 6 beers.

My problem is when I go to the pub, that's when I lose control and just can't stop, I haven't read last nights posts back because I know they are going to be full of shite, but I did well man, I came home and despite having a fridge full of beer I only had another 2 cans, it was **** tough but I stopped myself, I'm classing it as a win.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

see, when I have alcohol in at home I don't have any problem at all, I have a few beers on a Friday night and sometimes I'll have a few when the villa are playing (christ knows that them ones are absolutely necessary) but these days I never go silly with it, at most I'll have 5 maybe 6 beers.

My problem is when I go to the pub, that's when I lose control and just can't stop, I haven't read last nights posts back because I know they are going to be full of shite, but I did well man, I came home and despite having a fridge full of beer I only had another 2 cans, it was **** tough but I stopped myself, I'm classing it as a win.

Good on ya pal. If you can control when to stop then you’re on to a winner. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I rarely go to pubs, too expensive, but drink at home most nights.

Sometimes on a Friday I'll have three or four vodkas in the first hour, then it gets messy and I'll down a whole bottle by about 2am.

Doesn't happen often though, thankfully, as these days it takes me at least 24 hours to recover.

Â