Addiction

KentVillan

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon over the years I have lost about 100k on gambling. Mainly spread betting financial markets. It haunts me.

Im such a **** up.

Wow, sorry to read that mate. 

Do you still gamble now? 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wow, sorry to read that mate. 

Do you still gamble now? 

Yeh but very small amounts. Almost like feed the habit. I still trade too but again small amounts and I actually make a bit of money. I have blown a load on crypto tho.

I learnt about trading in that time I lost loads of money. If understood and could handle money management back then I’d be fine.  It’s when I’m at my lowest I just lose control.  

Edit - Thanks mate but I only have myself to blame. Need to get over it and stop making same mistakes.  A lot of it relates to alcohol. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh but very small amounts. Almost like feed the habit. I still trade too but again small amounts and I actually make a bit of money. I have blown a load on crypto tho.

I learnt about trading in that time I lost loads of money. If understood and could handle money management back then I’d be fine.  It’s when I’m at my lowest I just lose control.  

Edit - Thanks mate but I only have myself to blame. Need to get over it and stop making same mistakes.  A lot of it relates to alcohol. 

Why not block yourself with a service like gamstop? Even if only for 6 months to clear your head.

Don’t try and fool yourself into believing you’re clever than the system. The bookies have the edge and will always take more money than they give. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why not block yourself with a service like gamstop? Even if only for 6 months to clear your head.

Don’t try and fool yourself into believing you’re clever than the system. The bookies have the edge and will always take more money than they give. 

Oh yeh they sports betting is just for fun. I have no illusions that I will actually make money. 

it’s the financial trading that I’m actually understanding how to consistently make money from now.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh yeh they sports betting is just for fun. I have no illusions that I will actually make money. 

it’s the financial trading that I’m actually understanding how to consistently make money from now.

My advice would be to opt out of it all for a while. You wont possibly make anything on trading, but you wont lose on sports either. Trading is still gambling and unpredictable.

Take a break from it all and clear your head.

When you see the boss of Bet365 making £250m a year you know you’re being mugged off. Don’t play their game.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Yep, risk averse.

I’d be rubbish on a TV Quiz show:

”well done, you’ve won a £20 record token. Would you like to gamble that and potentially win a house in Cornwall and a helicopter?”

”no thanks Rylan, I’ll take the record token”

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

Must be a local slang term, means you grip onto your money tightly, tight arse?

Ah, I guessed as much. 

No, I like spending money, on myself and others. But as regards gambling, I'm like @chrisp65, not interested. I just automatically assume I would lose, so I don't do it. 

• Like 1

I gamble every week and it gives me a buzz but I’m in control of it and it’s only a small amount a week which may seem a lot to some but not much to others.  Never gamble when drinking it rarely works well together  imo . 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was doing great for 2 weeks. Good diet, good workouts, felt good on a new programme online. Then decided to have one drink Friday. Ended up in 3 days of heavy drinking and missed work today. I’m freelance so no pay. 

Feel like shit. 

Been there a thousand times. Horrible isn’t it and you feel guilty for not going to work .

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Been there a thousand times. Horrible isn’t it and you feel guilty for not going to work .

Yep. Can’t wait for tomorrow and hopefully to feel normal again. Going to have an early night.

Why do we do this to ourselves ?

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep. Can’t wait for tomorrow and hopefully to feel normal again. Going to have an early night.

Cos we're human. We've all done it. I say this just in case you were thinking that it's only you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The only cure for it is to get tomorrows work out of the way then you’ll feel a lot better. 

Because we are insane 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tinker said:

Another way of saying your a Gripper 😆

My dear old Mother is addicted to not spending money. Never known anything like it! :D 

She uses her iPad all the time... every day, playing games, browsing the net etc. Its 10 years old and I got it her as an early 60th present! She's 70 soon. Simply won't 'pull the trigger' on buying a replacement, but will moan how slow the old one is all the time. 

I'm bad, but not on that level. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

My dear old Mother is addicted to not spending money. Never known anything like it! :D 

She uses her iPad all the time... every day, playing games, browsing the next etc. Its 10 years old and I got it her as an early 60th present! She's 70 soon. Simply won't 'pull the trigger' on buying a replacement, but will moan how slow the old one is all the time. 

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks as they say. My gran was a spender but my grandad a saver. Looking back to when they both were alive there was some funny stories to be told regarding money. Anything to do with spending money or a  to do with the bank my grandad would either feel sick for spending it or get all irate regarding matters with the bank. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

She uses her iPad all the time... every day, playing games, browsing the net etc. Its 10 years old and I got it her as an early 60th present! She's 70 soon. Simply won't 'pull the trigger' on buying a replacement, but will moan how slow the old one is all the time. 

Tbh it's why I don't gamble, I just can't give money away, it's against my religion. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was doing great for 2 weeks. Good diet, good workouts, felt good on a new programme online. Then decided to have one drink Friday. Ended up in 3 days of heavy drinking and missed work today. I’m freelance so no pay. 

Feel like shit. 

Sorry to hear. I have also been there many times.

• Like 1

Â