Cameron Archer

Zatman

10 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He wasnt on the bench. And Unai knows a thing or two about how good you need to be at 19 or 20 . Wierd isnt it. Under Gerrard i was desperate for him to start games. Under Emery i will totally trust his judgement. Thats what trusting your manager means

In a strange way I miss that with Gerrard, I could pick a better team, with better tactics than he could. I could almost imaging getting that £6 million per year job.

With Emery, I quickly understood why he get paid the big bucks, and I’m only a fan.

It seems like Archer is our 4th choice striker, at the moment. He don’t have the work rate and strength of Watkins, the pace of Bailey and Ings is possibly a better finisher. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sne said:

He needs to play football. If Emery feels he's better served going out on loan in Jan then I'm all for it.

Yeah, 6 months with Mick Beal would work wonders. 

• Like 1

As I said previously in the summer we lost our most highly rated academy player and the one that would have played a big part this season to Chelsea, and then suddenly the next day the club and Gerrard made a big thing of Archer staying and being given a chance, it smacked to me at the time of the club using Archer to try and deflect from the fact that we'd just lost Chukwuemeka.

Really it was always obvious that he should have gone back out on loan this season, was never going to get in the team ahead of Watkins and Ings and at his stage of development shouldn't be kept as third choice, he needs game time.

19 minutes ago, useless said:

As I said previously in the summer we lost our most highly rated academy player and the one that would have played a big part this season to Chelsea, and then suddenly the next day the club and Gerrard made a big thing of Archer staying and being given a chance, it smacked to me at the time of the club using Archer to try and deflect from the fact that we'd just lost Chukwuemeka.

Really it was always obvious that he should have gone back out on loan this season, was never going to get in the team ahead of Watkins and Ings and at his stage of development shouldn't be kept as third choice, he needs game time.

The question will be can we get a quickie up front in Jan because if not he will be needed.  I am with him going on loan to a top half champ team. Even Preston again . We cannot stunt his development like this. 

I think a pacey forward will be the main priority in January, I think Percy has said as much, Sarr will probably be linked.

In the mean time I expect that Archer will get a lot of U21 game time in the PL Cup until Jan.

He'll get some game time under Emery - I think he selected the bench with what we would need if we were to see it out against United too.

Archer has all the skills of a striker/inside forward that would work with Unai's system. Quick, deceptively strong, good hold up play, can run the channels and in behind and decent at carrying the ball.

Bailey has had a lot of hamstring problems and unless we can get one in January - there's no one else that fits Watkins and Bailey's profile. Ings is a natural finisher and better passer but can he go 2v2 against the CB's like Watkins and Bailey can? I don't think so but I think Archer can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

and the one that would have played a big part this season 

Sorry I'm not buying this for a second.

The biggest part I've seen him play so far for Chelsea is cheesing in warm ups on the sidelines.

He showed no sort of prodigious talent in the few first team opportunities he got with us either.

I'm not even BSing when I think we still have Youth products better than him as things stand.

Honestly, where would you see him featuring this season and in front of who?

This kid is currently still living off of destroying 16 year olds he is more physically developed than for the most part.

And yes I know he got an assist against Man City. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

We literally told him he was going to be a regular for us in order to to try and get him to sign a deal and offered him a deal that would have made him the highest paid teenager in the country, the fact that he hasn't played much for Chelsea has no bearings on how much game time he would have got for us, as they have much better players than we have.

Most of the rest is complete rubbish, espicially the part suggesting he's only played well against sixteen year olds, it was he who was playing against players older than him when he was just sixteen and he's constantly played against older players, the idea that he only looks good because of a physical advantage is rubbish as well, his style of play doesn't rely on his physicality.

Also he did perfectly fine in his first team appearances for us.

Not sure why I'm even bothering responding to someone that constantly even tried to talk Grealish down, seem to judge players based on personal prejudices rather than their actual talent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry I'm not buying this for a second.

The biggest part I've seen him play so far for Chelsea is cheesing in warm ups on the sidelines.

He showed no sort of prodigious talent in the few first team opportunities he got with us either.

I'm not even BSing when I think we still have Youth products better than him as things stand.

Honestly, where would you see him featuring this season and in front of who?

This kid is currently still living off of destroying 16 year olds he is more physically developed than for the most part.

And yes I know he got an assist against Man City. Lol

Agreed.  Kamara and Luiz look like they will be our starting midfield, with Ramsay breaking forward to join our attacks.  I don't see Carney doing better than those three at this point in time.  Which really only leaves the Buendia position available.  Longer term yes he had huge potential but I really am not sure that he'd have played a big part this season (nowhere near as big a part as he appears to have wanted).  Gutted he left?  Absolutely.  But I don't think we really had much chance of keeping him and his head had already been turned to join one of the Sly 6.  Time will tell whether or not he made the right choice.  I think all we could realistically do was to try and get the most amount of money we could.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We literally told him he was going to be a regular for us in order to to try and get him to sign a deal and offered him a deal that would have made him the highest paid teenager in the country, the fact that he hasn't played much for Chelsea has no bearings on how much game time he would have got for us, as they have much better players than we have.

Most of the rest is complete rubbish, espicially the part suggesting he's only played well against sixteen year olds, it was he who was playing against players older than him when he was just sixteen and he's constantly played against older players, the idea that he only looks good because of a physical advantage is rubbish as well, his style of play doesn't rely on his physicality.

Not sure why I'm even bothering responding to someone that constantly even tried to talk Grealish down, seem to judge players based on personal prejudices rather than their actual talent.

I think that this would have been a mistake.  He did OK in the first team games where he played but he didn't do anything close to grabbing the shirt with both hands and forcing the manager to pick him for the next match.  His best contribution was probably in his debut (against Spurs?) when he had a great shot from just outside the box that I think hit the post.  Kamara, Luiz and Ramsay all showed more - so the idea that he should be starting ahead of them or even be first change does not sit comfortably.  I think he'd had his head turned.  Ultimately he might go on to be the best midfielder in the country and we might look like fools.  But I think he was asking to run before he could walk and we shouldn't be held ransom by any player - let alone one whose first team achievements were limited to say the least.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

As much as anything I think in here he shows the massive misconception over youngsters breaking through and waht should be expected of them

Most appearances in the PL for his age group, star of England's u19 team, one of the youngest players on the golden boy list, signed for £20m by a better team than us... But to some here he's shit because they judge him to have done **** all in a 10 minute sub appearance at 18 years old

The significance of an 18 year old even playing in the PL is lost on them, there are hardly any

• Thanks 2

I don't think Chukwuemeka playing a big part this season or being a regular necessarily meant he was going to be starting every game, he probably would have been introduced into the team in a similar way to how Ramsey was in his second season with the first team. Also I suspect under Gerrard the plan was to use him as part of the front three in one of the No.10 roles, so he would have likely been rotated with Buendia, Coutinho, and Bailey rather than the central midfielders.

To bring it back on topic if Chukwuemeka had have stayed I think Archer would have definitely gone out on loan, but no Chukwuemeka meant that there was a space available in the front three and Archer took that space.

• Like 1

I think Archer stayed because he didn't have enough forward players in the squad so he couldn't go on loan. He will learn a lot being coached and trained with the Villa first team and there is loads of the season left for him to go out on loan too in Jan if we signed another forward player. 

His future is really as a ready made replacement for Ings in our squad. There's plenty of time and a bright future for him. 

Â