Most diverse Villa team ever?

Ponky

So if all our new signings form part of the matchday squad for Spurs on Day 1,will this be the most diverse Villa team ever from the point of view of nationalities represented? I count ten all up (excluding those with a dual identity such as El Ghazi): English, Belgian, French, Zimbabwean, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Dutch, Brazilian and Egyptian.

Certainly a far cry from the squads under MON that were lauded for being predominantly English /British. 

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 1

Good pick ups.

I was really referring to match day squad but yeah, that's a few more - depending on who's still here after the SLAMMING of the window. I reckon Jimmy is a good bet to be on the bench, so we could include Ivory Coast, and either Taylor or Chez, so add Wales. So that's 12.

Zero chance of Thor being in the match day squad though IMO. And Steer will be no 2 keeper, leaving Kalinic out. 

And Tish.... I think they have a court order keeping him at least 500ft away from the club at all times... 

Edited by Ponky

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just love the fact we finally have some Brazilians!! Every top team has a Brazilian these days. 

It's all about the Brazilians! Best country for producing talent and skills combined in my opinion.

It's no wonder that they hold the Gold Medal in the olympics at a youth level and won the Toulon tournament too.

The senior side is possibly and probably, the most consistent side at reaching the final stages of the tournaments they enter, worldwide.

And that Brazil team around the new millennium. F*** ME DEAD! Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo..The whole team.

My favourite non-Villa side to grace the game.

• Like 1

and then you look at the social media stuff and hear the stories coming out of the club and see that Wesley has become mates with jota, el ghazi seems to be mates with hause and then McGinn and jack at the centre of it all

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

It's all about the Brazilians! Best country for producing talent and skills combined in my opinion.

It's no wonder that they hold the Gold Medal in the olympics at a youth level and won the Toulon tournament too.

The senior side is possibly and probably, the most consistent side at reaching the final stages of the tournaments they enter, worldwide.

And that Brazil team around the new millennium. F*** ME DEAD! Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo..The whole team.

My favourite non-Villa side to grace the game.

As a teenager during the 2002 World Cup I saw that Brazil team as just 11 indestructible titans but I really wanted us to beat them. They had their worst game against England too, they obviously got the lucky lob but for their first goal Seaman had just been clattered about a minute before so was probably still a bit winded. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and then you look at the social media stuff and hear the stories coming out of the club and see that Wesley has become mates with jota, el ghazi seems to be mates with hause and then McGinn and jack at the centre of it all

I think this is key. 

Having a largely English squad in England isn't necessarily down to managers being "boring" or whatever, but the dressing room atmosphere is a massive factor. If they're all English, chances are a large number will be from a similar background/culture and friendships will form more easily, resulting in a better atmosphere. 

As V4E says, it seems those friendships are forming anyway, which is fantastic news. There really does seem to be a fun, happy and positive vibe within the Villa camp, and it's brilliant to see. 

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think this is key. 

Having a largely English squad in England isn't necessarily down to managers being "boring" or whatever, but the dressing room atmosphere is a massive factor. If they're all English, chances are a large number will be from a similar background/culture and friendships will form more easily, resulting in a better atmosphere. 

As V4E says, it seems those friendships are forming anyway, which is fantastic news. There really does seem to be a fun, happy and positive vibe within the Villa camp, and it's brilliant to see. 

A largely British squad can lead to the none Brits feeling like outsiders. I think that happened under Tactics Tim. No chance with this squad though. UTV!!!!

The diversity goes beyond nationality. I think we have at least three practicing Muslims in the team (Trez, El Ghazi, Elmo). Douglas Luiz's interview sounded like something scripted by the Vatican's Sao Paolo office and Marvellous made several invocations to God yesterday. We are a truly global team. 

Meanwhile, JT is breaking most of the commandments about debauchery...

• Like 1

Â