Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

We could actually move up to fifth tomorrow, but would need Man City to beat West Ham by three goals and hope that Reading could avoid defeat away to Everton.

Also we've now scored more goals in the WSL this season than we did in the whole of last season.

Team might get stronger as I think there's a possibility of at least one more signing before the window closes, probably a winger or a wide forward.

Sarah Mayling also signed a contract extension yesterday, apparently Man Utd were interested, not sure how true that is but wouldn't surprise me as she's been very good for us, probably doesn't stand out as much as she once did as the team around her has improved, but still very solid and dependable.

Hopefully Evie Rabjohn follows her and signs a contract when she turns eighteen in April, keeps getting linked to top four clubs, today Chelsea with the claim that their women's team is going to try and bring in all the best youth in a similar fashioin to what their mens academy have been doing since takeover; I'm hoping the fact that we haven't signed a central defender or been linked to one is a sign that she's already agreed to stay and we're leaving a space for her in the team, will surely get much more game time with us than she would at Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, or Man City.

They lost as they do every week, but Mary McAteer scored another goal for Coventry United today, Olivia Rabjohn also got some minutes off the bench, both still train with us and sometimes play with our U21s as still our players but on a dual registration with Coventry for this season.

50 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Arsenal vs Chelsea (womens) got over 46,000 attendance today!

They’re on another planet to Villa playing at the Bescot.

You cannot criticise Villa, they’ve absolutely backed the womens team financially but the appetite amongst the fan base isn’t there yet on a large scale.  For example, this thread is a desert even during matches, only a third as many pages as the January transfer thread. 

During the World Cup, the women played at VP twice and still only got moderate attendances. I think the friendly against Villarreal got more in attendance than the women.

The Arsenal and Chelsea womens teams are really well established though and have had loads of success. Our women are only getting better, they’re doing really well! Hopefully, the interest will grow.

As of December 3rd we actually had two of the top ten WSL attendances of the season, for the home games at Villa Park against Reading and Man City.

But when you go into the top five attendances of the season there's a big jump up, as certain games between clubs challenging for the title or big local derbies attract thirty plus thousand.

Arsenal aren't getting crowds that big for most of their home games, for most games I think their attendances are closer to six thousand, they don't even usually play at the Emirates, but at a much smaller ground.

I think our attendances have grown considerably this season, but maybe one of the reasons we aren't attracting bigger sized crowds, as in say twenty thousand plus, is because we've only recently started to put much effort into our women's, before NSWE takeover, they weren't professional, and I don't think they were even officially affiliated with the club, so the women's team getting any kind of attention is still very new to most fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, useless said:

As of December 3rd we actually had two of the top ten WSL attendances of the season, for the home games at Villa Park against Reading and Man City.

But when you go into the top five attendances of the season there's a big jump up, as certain games between clubs challenging for the title or big local derbies attract thirty plus thousand.

Arsenal aren't getting crowds that big for most of their home games, for most games I think their attendances are closer to six thousand, they don't even usually play at the Emirates, but at a much smaller ground.

I think our attendances have grown considerably this season, but maybe one of the reasons we aren't attracting bigger sized crowds, as in say twenty thousand plus, is because we've only recently started to put much effort into our women's, before NSWE takeover, they weren't professional, and I don't think they were even officially affiliated with the club, so the women's team getting any kind of attention is still very new to most fans.

Think you are correct , until recently they just carried the name but weren't part of the club , also i don't think season ticket holders can go to watch the women free of charge any more so that effects crowds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Think you are correct , until recently they just carried the name but weren't part of the club , also i don't think season ticket holders can go to watch the women free of charge any more so that effects crowds.

That would be a good way to get more people interested in watching the Villa women. Plus an extra little benefit for season ticket holders. And the club would make money from food and drink sold with the higher attendance.

• Like 1

It doesn't say, so I would think probably both.

Should be an intriguing tie, they're only a few divisions below us, but the gap in quality is huge, if we play a full strength team could be a big score.

Might be a chance to give some of the younger players a game.

On 15/01/2023 at 17:32, ender4 said:

Arsenal vs Chelsea (womens) got over 46,000 attendance today!

They’re on another planet to Villa playing at the Bescot.

I was on the stadium tour recently and apparently we have submitted a proposal to the owners (Presumably BCC?) for our women's team to take over The Alexander Stadium and adapt it to a 17k seater for WSL games. 

• Like 2

About a year or so back a lot of smal heath fans were asking about them possibly moving to the Alexander Stadium because of their stadium issues, amongst them is a blogger/journalist that goes by the name of Almajir, and is very reliable with his information, I saw him reply to those questions that he knows for a fact that our womens team already has a deal in place to move to the Alexander Stadium on a long-term lease.

I guess we will find out soon enough as the current deal to play at the Bescot ends this season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, useless said:

About a year or so back a lot of smal heath fans were asking about them possibly moving to the Alexander Stadium because of their stadium issues, amongst them is a blogger/journalist that goes by the name of Almajir, and is very reliable with his information, I saw him reply to those questions that he knows for a fact that our womens team already has a deal in place to move to the Alexander Stadium on a long-term lease.

I guess we will find out soon enough as the current deal to play at the Bescot ends this season.

I know 2 things for certain:

1 - The council approached Birmingham about playing at Alexander Stadium and leaving St Andrews..their response was "No the capacity is not big enough"

2 - The current plan is for Villa Women to now take on that tenancy. 

Edited by Pissflaps
  • Like 1

But it'll still primarily be an athletics stadium, it's Birchfield Harriers' home, and the site of UK Athletics. Seems totally wrong to me for it to be anything else. I'd not like to see Villa women play there to be honest.

• Like 1

Â