Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Sometimes I think he’s one of our best players and I think I said that in the match thread. Other times I wonder if he’s massively overrated and just another inconsistent player we could do without if we are going to progress? But that seems excessive. But then I can’t see him being happy as a bit part player. 

Exactly this. Dougie is a talented player but its the inconsistency that stops him him being one we can rely upon for the next 4 years. 

I think he had a decent game. Not perfect but good enough. A couple of unnecessarry fouls, a rew missed passes, but also a couple of match winning tacklas and a couple of brilliant passes. And in between he was decent. A steady 6.

• Like 3

I thought he was excellent, particularly defensively. A good all round performance.

Of course, it's hard to shine when Kamara is producing an absolutely breathtaking display of midfield work next to you, but I thought he quietly did very well. At the moment, our centrebacks and these two are the strength of our team.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought he was excellent, particularly defensively. A good all round performance.

Of course, it's hard to shine when Kamara is producing an absolutely breathtaking display of midfield work next to you, but I thought he quietly did very well. At the moment, our centrebacks and these two are the strength of our team.

I don't disagree but his effort for the Bamford goal was poor

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Exactly this. Dougie is a talented player but it’s the inconsistency that stops him him being one we can rely upon for the next 4 years. 

He’s an ok player. Definitely PL quality but if we want to push up the table, I’m afraid it’s likely he’ll need to be replaced with better. 

Players like Cash, Buendia, Konsa, Luiz, Ings and Bailey aren’t going to push us into the top 8. We need better all over the pitch for that, which is what Emery will have identified early. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

He’s an ok player. Definitely PL quality but if we want to push up the table, I’m afraid it’s likely he’ll need to be replaced with better. 

Players like Cash, Buendia, Konsa, Luiz, Ings and Bailey aren’t going to push us into the top 8. We need better all over the pitch for that, which is what Emery will have identified early. 

So half the team basically

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

So half the team basically

Well, yeh. Over time of course. I think Emery is likely to bring 2/3 in this window and then I imagine 2/3 more in the Summer. So half the team. 

Our players lack consistency. You never know which Bailey, Luiz or Watkins will turn up. Sometimes they’re brilliant but will follow up with 3/4 poor matches. I can excuse inconsistency here and there but we seem to have players that play well and then just tail off for a month or two before playing well again. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you could make an argument for one or two others on that list, but Luiz definitely doesn't belong on it.

Possibly, but I think if Guendouzi comes in, it’ll be interesting to see where Luiz plays. Can’t see him playing out wide. 

Our players lack consistency. You never know which Bailey, Luiz or Watkins will turn up. Sometimes they’re brilliant but will follow up with 3/4 poor matches. I can excuse inconsistency here and there but we seem to have players that play well and then just tail off for a month or two before playing well again. 

I'd say Doug has been our most consistent player of the season, I can't think of anyone else who has put in the same quality of performance over the entire season so far.

(Obviously Kamara would be very much in that one if he hadn't been injured).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Possibly, but I think if Guendouzi comes in, it’ll be interesting to see where Luiz plays. Can’t see him playing out wide. 

I have a feeling that Guendouzi might play in the line of more advanced central midfielders, where Ramsey was last night.

The drop off in quality between Luiz/Kamara and Buendia/Ramsey ahead of them is huge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have a feeling that Guendouzi might play in the line of more advanced central midfielders, where Ramsey was last night.

The drop off in quality between Luiz/Kamara and Buendia/Ramsey ahead of them is huge.

I think that’s a little unfair on Ramsey. I think Luiz has been below par since the Spurs match. 

I think that’s a little unfair on Ramsey. I think Luiz has been below par since the Spurs match. 

Ramsey was anonymous yesterday, barely got into the game at all. I don't think Luiz has put in a performance as bad as that all season, he's been consistently among our better players in every game we've played.

If there are three players in the current squad i think it's vital we keep and build around, it's Kamara, Luiz and Martinez.

• Like 3

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Ramsey was anonymous yesterday, barely got into the game at all. I don't think Luiz has put in a performance as bad as that all season, he's been consistently among our better players in every game we've played.

If there are three players in the current squad i think it's vital we keep and build around, it's Kamara, Luiz and Martinez.

Can’t include Luiz in that for me. We certainly should be looking to keep him, he’s a decent player, but not a player to build around. But whatever, it’s all opinions. 

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think all those players can be good enough, there all proven PL players, with some coaching there’s no reason too think they can’t, look at Newcastle for example, you don’t have to have a complete squad overhaul that would do more damage than good imo. I think Luiz is a class player, and will improve further, my only wish is he gets better at not giving away cheap fouls, because most his fouls are border line but go against them he needs to learn to disguise them better.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like Ramsey but he was arguably the worst player against Leeds, worst as in non existent as you say. Don't think role suited him. This is not a throw him under the bus post 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Can’t include Luiz in that for me. We certainly should be looking to keep him, he’s a decent player, but not a player to build around. But whatever, it’s all opinions. 

Yeah it’s all about opinions but I think we should be building around Luiz and Kamara, their partnership is building nicely.  They are both young, very talented and seem to enjoy playing together. I can really see them growing and getting better over the next three years.  Add a third to that and we could really have a brilliant midfield.  If Guendouzi is that third then based on other opinions we could be really set for the next few years.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agree with that. Although I can’t help but put Mings into that list of vital players… 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

I wasthere last night....for.me..he is a good footballer when he has the ball...he as good technical ability and can keep it simple when needed....but he never goes looking for it enough.

However, as with some of the comments..he is good but not that good...I think he says away from the ball especially when we play out from the back....his movement is very poor and when playing Leeds with a good press...we needed more from him.

Not necessary getting on the ball but creating space for others to play for the press. He did do it s few times and it worked but most of thetomw he hides behind an opposition player offering nothing.

He is capable of it...he has done it...but doesn't do enough for me.

Last night was a prime example of this.

Edited by Bazmonkey
  • Like 1

Â