Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

He's never really got going at Villa, he seemingly refuses to sign a contract and there's one year left.

For all potential he may have, we can't turn down £20m if it's on table.

I'd take it. Probably ask for Milner for a year to add some experience, organisation and bite to the midfield.

But Villa are feeling quite 'done' now and there's a real danger of us completely crumbling away.

I think we have to keep him even if he doesn’t sign. I agree with some other posts that without a quality replacement we’re very light in midfield. 
alarming thou that we have another player who was happy but now looking to move on . It stinks . 

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He would sign a contract if we were playing him

There is no way you can possibly know that. He was playing last season and didn't sign. Perhaps he's not playing because he's not signing the contract? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weedman said:

There is no way you can possibly know that. He was playing last season and didn't sign. Perhaps he's not playing because he's not signing the contract? 

Explain why he was taken to Australia but Chukwuemeka wasn’t, then.

Explain why we haven’t signed an immediate replacement for him this summer and sold him already.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

I'd rather let Luiz run his contract down and leave for free and get this season out of him than sell him. If there is any truth in the reports then if we sell without a better replacement it shows we are being run by idiots. I don't want to hear the European bollox anymore, stand development, non of it. If you cannot get what's going on regarding team affairs right then we're wasting our time developing the ground. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Explain why he was taken to Australia but Chukwuemeka wasn’t, then.

Explain why we haven’t signed an immediate replacement for him this summer and sold him already.

Becuase he was considering a contract offer so we treated him as normal, whereas Chuck made it clear he wasn't signing? Perhaps the noises from his camp was that he would sign it - there were loads of rumours to that affect around the start of the season, when the contract wasn't signed before the season he was benched and only thrown in recently as Gerrard is getting desperate? 

There are loads of potential explanations. I understand we are all in agreement about Gerrard being terrible at the moment, but that doesn't mean every single thing that happens is automatically his fault.

Luiz has had LOADS of time to sign a contract if he wanted to, explain why he didn't sign last season if its only due to playing time? 

7 minutes ago, weedman said:

Becuase he was considering a contract offer so we treated him as normal, whereas Chuck made it clear he wasn't signing? Perhaps the noises from his camp was that he would sign it - there were loads of rumours to that affect around the start of the season, when the contract wasn't signed before the season he was benched and only thrown in recently as Gerrard is getting desperate? 

There are loads of potential explanations. I understand we are all in agreement about Gerrard being terrible at the moment, but that doesn't mean every single thing that happens is automatically his fault.

Luiz has had LOADS of time to sign a contract if he wanted to, explain why he didn't sign last season if its only due to playing time? 

Yeah, so he was considering a contract offer - what do you think would have made him sign or not sign that contract? What possible variables could exist considering the figures on that contract are the same?

Regardless we should be playing him, it wouldn’t hurt the chances of that contract being signed, would it?

Edited by a m ole

6 minutes ago, weedman said:

during pre-season it sounded like we would sell Luiz if we got the right offer and he wanted that move, but if that didn't transpire he would sign a new contract.

It feels like Steve has been in two minds about playing him though, but then again he's not started every game under him so maybe that is coincidental.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Yeah, so he was considering a contract offer - what do you think would have made him sign or not sign that contract? What possible variables could exist considering the figures on that contract are the same?

Like I said, potentially loads of things. Maybe he wants a crack at Champions League so wants to keep his options open. Maybe a big team has been chatting with his agent and indicated that they'd sign him on a free on double his wages if he runs his contact down. Maybe he just doesn't like Birmingham. Maybe he's gotten bored of his Mrs and is looking for an excuse to get out. None of us have any idea into his thinking around signing a new contract. 

And I'm not even saying it's definitely not down to game time, but I'm saying that none of us can possibly know that for anything close to certain. If it is solely down to game time why didn't he sign last season when the contract was offered and he was playing every week? 

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

At the start of the summer nearly everyone was in agreement that the midfield had to be sorted. 

And now by the end we could potentially have just signed Kamara and lose Luiz and Sanson. 

Sorted? 

Carney aswell who'd have had plenty of minutes already if he'd stuck around until January.

It's a complete mess. Club could've got away with a bit if we'd had a solid start and 6/7 points on the board but potentially 5 defeats out of 6 while we yet again don't fix central midfield is going to take some explaining even if they're completely fawning over Gerrard in every decision.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

What would you want, if he’s doesn’t sign a contract?

Sell now for £20-30m or let him him go for free next summer? 

Well that depends on the 'struggle' factor, IF he definitely states he's going to leave at the end of this contract, and we think we'll be no worse off this season without him, then yes take the money now.

Personally i think we would be worse off without him this season, and i'm not convinced we could replace him with equal or better either in the remainder of this transfer window, or January's; as such i'd keep as i think the risks and rammifications of losing him are greater than the reward of selling.

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

Like I said, potentially loads of things. Maybe he wants a crack at Champions League so wants to keep his options open. Maybe a big team has been chatting with his agent and indicated that they'd sign him on a free on double his wages if he runs his contact down. Maybe he just doesn't like Birmingham. Maybe he's gotten bored of his Mrs and is looking for an excuse to get out. None of us have any idea into his thinking around signing a new contract. 

And I'm not even saying it's definitely not down to game time, but I'm saying that none of us can possibly know that for anything close to certain. If it is solely down to game time why didn't he sign last season when the contract was offered and he was playing every week? 

Because he had a new manager who kept talking about wanting to sign a number 6 and a number 8.

Contracts are two way streets. He was very smartly waiting to see what happened in the summer.

Edited by a m ole

33 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I think we have to keep him even if he doesn’t sign. I agree with some other posts that without a quality replacement we’re very light in midfield. 
alarming thou that we have another player who was happy but now looking to move on . It stinks . 

Problem here is his head will get turned if these rumours are genuine and we refuse to sell. Don't forget he'll probably still have ambitions of making Brazil squad and far more in their thoughts if he's involved at Liverpool or Atletico Madrid than in/out here.

Can't believe how bad our midfield planning is. We let Luiz just stall on contract for a year while he goes from regular starter to squad player, lose Carney and freeze out Sanson all because Gerrard wants to start a declining McGinn game after game. And now we've made him captain it's seemingly less of a priority to actually get in anyone good as an 8 to perhaps take his place.

• Like 1

Â