Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

10 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Why are you having to make up a history of scoring FKs for McGinn? It's simply not based in reality.

Luiz being crap at them is enough to justify changing in itself.

making up history? all i said was mcginn can hit them from distance. alot more often then luiz

10 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Coutinho is taking them. He's been sharing free kick taking duty with Luiz since he's come here.

Also I read a source that says that the average PL free kick taker scores about 9 percent of direct free kick attempts.

Think Coutinho should be on all of them personally. He was very unlucky not to score v Brighton as that was world class save and yesterday it was a difficult angle and he did get it on target (frustrating no one followed it up).

Anyway what's the latest on his new deal then? I remember a few months back someone on here very confident he'd sign a new one yet there's no talk in the media about it. Would seem odd for us just to continue to let him run down his deal unless he's given Gerrard his word he'll sign one as soon as it ends.

17 hours ago, Indigo said:

🤷‍♂️

I think he'll always be a divisive figure among fans, a bit like Petrov. And then when he goes we'll wax lyrical about him.

He's probably just a victim of having a very calm, simple style, and also of the understandable desire to have a proper "destroyer" on the pitch (but IMO the destroyer would sit next to him, not replace him).

He does all the basics well, but he rarely does anything that stands out - although his ball to Watkins against Arsenal was top drawer.

Hopefully there is still another level he can take his game. A good pre-season, and he could really fly in the run-up to the World Cup.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dale said:

I thought Luiz was our best player. I rarely think he's the weakest link. 

He's a great player who's perfectly suited to our style of play, being played out of position in a midfield alongside statues. Criticism of him has been fair recently but should be directed toward the staff and not the player.

• Like 1

Dougie seems to have woken up a bit as of late. He always seemed a bit reactive rather than proactive but i have noticed a change in the last couple of weeks. It would be interesting to see him operating in an 8 where he should be.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2022 at 17:59, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Thomas showed how to play that role today.

He doesnt play the ball quick enough. Hes not the only one to be fair, but he is not a DCM.

I would have brought Tim on today to have a look at him against this kind of opposition.

They were not that good by the way

They didn't have to be.

On 21/03/2022 at 12:44, KentVillan said:

I think he'll always be a divisive figure among fans, a bit like Petrov. And then when he goes we'll wax lyrical about him.

He's probably just a victim of having a very calm, simple style, and also of the understandable desire to have a proper "destroyer" on the pitch (but IMO the destroyer would sit next to him, not replace him).

He does all the basics well, but he rarely does anything that stands out - although his ball to Watkins against Arsenal was top drawer.

Hopefully there is still another level he can take his game. A good pre-season, and he could really fly in the run-up to the World Cup.

I too would like to see him, in the side with a reputable CDM....Not sure, I buy in to the calm simple style, that spells passive to me, but hey ho.

To move on he needs to do things that stand out.....good play, stands out, trust me.....it catch's the discerning eye.

I am still waiting for the next level and I suspect, it could be a long wait....He hasn't got the attributes to suggest it will come, but I live in hope.

We have spent most of our better days, mid table, so it follows that many of our players divide opinion.....The really better players get snapped up by better teams.

Its hard to hang on to them and move forward, but standing by players, who don't stand out, is a sure way to stay, midtable.

On 20/03/2022 at 17:54, meregreen said:

Been watching it since the 60s so I think I do.

well, if you don't, you've wasted a lot of money.

I think fans who have watched the game, most of their life, i.e 30/40 years......are under estimated in their opinions of the game, in some quarters....sure we can vary, as to what we focus on,

but by and large, discerning fans, know their onions.

I think its really hard to judge him until he can play regularly as an "8".  And bear in mind, he is still pretty young.

I am really not sure what we are doing at the minute - I see DL as our CDM but the heatmaps I have seen for a couple of the games show him as the furthest forward of the three?

We need a strong DCM and then I think we will see the best out of DL (if he is still with us).

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

well, if you don't, you've wasted a lot of money.

I think fans who have watched the game, most of their life, i.e 30/40 years......are under estimated in their opinions of the game, in some quarters....sure we can vary, as to what we focus on,

but by and large, discerning fans, know their onions.

Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted. And so many don't really learn beyond what's easy. 

That said though I'm sure you mean those who do take an active interest over a number of decades would most definitely be privy to insight us younger supporters wouldn't have, provided the older folks have been paying attention 😉 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sne said:

Game has moved on something tremendously in the 40 or so years I watched it. Obviously I didn't grasp the finer things when I was a kid watching.

Its really not helpful to compare players from 40 years ago for a start. Brazilian players were pretty much non existent in English at that time as well. 

Its great we won trophies previously but constantly comparing to the past is very small time and un helpful to the current players. I wonder do Preston fans compare Cameron Archer to the top scorer from the 1880s

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted. And so many don't really learn beyond what's easy. 

That said though I'm sure you mean those who do take an active interest over a number of decades would most definitely be privy to insight us younger supporters wouldn't have, provided the older folks have been paying attention 😉 

true.

Its very much a generalisation and many exceptions can be made....but I know for sure, I know more now, than I did, when I was a much younger fan.

Sure the game has changed, but many aspects, like desire, workrate, will to win, mentality, are still the same, but applied under different surroundings/backdrop.

and yes,your proviso applies.

The sheer amounts of games people can watch now compared to even in the 90's is night and day.

The number of games you watch live might not have changed but back in the 80's you maybe got 1-3 games a week on telly. Now you can easily watch 10 games a week on telly from a host of different leagues with different strengths and weaknesses. The internet also makes accessing information, stats and analysis "a whole new ballgame".

I'm fairly certain I watched more football during any given year of the early 2000's than I did for the entire 80's. The amount of information and matches you can asses now it endless.

Obviously this is available to anyone regardless of age. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

true.

Its very much a generalisation and many exceptions can be made....but I know for sure, I know more now, than I did, when I was a much younger fan.

Sure the game has changed, but many aspects, like desire, workrate, will to win, mentality, are still the same, but applied under different surroundings/backdrop.

and yes,your proviso applies.

Even when discussing where and how the game has changed, veteran observers are the ones who could testify to that.

👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Even when discussing where and how the game has changed, veteran observers are the ones who could testify to that.

👍

What is rarely discussed is the elements of the game that still remain the same and have done throught the time of football.

• Like 1

Â