Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Don't a lot of the best teams do that?  The full backs push up, the centre backs go a bit wider and the defensive midfielder moves in between them to pick the ball up and move it on with short passes.

You could literally have thrown a blanket over the three of them they were so close, and then the problem with Doug is he struggles to find forward passes. 

8 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

I'm struggling to see after a few of these comments what he actually did today...

he was ball shy...offered nothing...stood next to.odergaard all game....at times hid behind him.

One of the main reasons we can't get out of our half and end up going to the full.backs.

Really struggle to see what he brings 90% of the time 

He was our only midfielder to do anything today. The agenda against him is embarrassing at this stage

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Richie k said:

They are rarely even on target. mcginn, bailey and coutinho all score them quite often. 

Score what? If its free kick I think Hourihane was the last scorer and he didnt play for us since 2020

McGinn 😂😂😂😥😥😥😥

6 hours ago, Richie k said:

when was the last time he scored from a free kick?

How many attempts as he had ?

At least 10 throughout his entire senior career.

Hasn't scored a single one, at least in the league.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

8 hours ago, Richie k said:

we know mcginn can hit them. bailey and coutinho too but they havnt for villa.

that is exactly my point 🙄

Why are you having to make up a history of scoring FKs for McGinn? It's simply not based in reality.

Luiz being crap at them is enough to justify changing in itself.

• Like 3

The average chance of scoring a free kick are roughly 1 in 20 (5%). The xG of a direct free-kick is 0.06 (6%). So having a go at him for this is absolutely pointless.

Having said that, I have no idea why Coutinho is not taking them. He was the top free-kick taker based on conversion rate in Europe's top 5 leagues between 2016-17 season till May 2020 with a success rate of 26%. For context Messi's conversion rate was 12%.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

The average chance of scoring a free kick are roughly 1 in 20 (5%). The xG of a direct free-kick is 0.06 (6%). So having a go at him for this is absolutely pointless.

Having said that, I have no idea why Coutinho is not taking them. He was the top free-kick taker based on conversion rate in Europe's top 5 leagues between 2016-17 season till May 2020 with a success rate of 26%. For context Messi's conversion rate was 12%.

Thats staggering if so. Why are we having a player that's never scored one taking them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Coutinho is taking them. He's been sharing free kick taking duty with Luiz since he's come here.

Also I read a source that says that the average PL free kick taker scores about 9 percent of direct free kick attempts.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Coutinho is taking them. He's been sharing free kick taking duty with Luiz since he's come here.

Also I read a source that says that the average PL free kick taker scores about 9 percent of direct free kick attempts.

Ok then, I don't understand why Coutinho is not taking all of them. Maybe leave Dougie on the free kicks in to the box but the direct should be Coutinho's IMO.

I googled it and found these as the first hits.

https://sqaf.club/free-kick-goal-stats/

Did you know that, in the Premier League, the direct free kick conversation rate stands at only about six per cent? That equates to one goal for roughly every 18 attempts.

https://soccerment.com/bend-like-beckham-top-free-kick-takers-europe/

The beauty of the direct free-kicks stems from their difficulty. The average Expected Goal (‘xG’) associated with a direct free-kick is 0.06. This means that, on average, a direct free-kick has a 6% probability to be converted into a goal, i.e. only 1 direct free-kick every 17 attempts becomes a goal.

A betting site (which I won't post here) quoted the probability as 4%. Another site said 5 %.

My point was having a go at him for not scoring the free kicks is a bit pointless.

Â