Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

That is obviously not true, players with fancy foreign names get criticized on here more than British players. Any player we sign from France is usually quickly slaughtered and not to mention fellow Brazilian Wesley

for the record that is not an Irish name :P 

Come on @JAMAICAN-VILLAN, his surname is O'Pleb (4 caps for Ireland U-21's) and furthermore there is no one in Ireland with the first name Fred (far too British). This is because in the past the Catholic Church used to collect children named Fred in Ireland during the 1700's and 1800's and burn them on a massive bonfire on Halloween night.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

That is obviously not true, players with fancy foreign names get criticized on here more than British players. Any player we sign from France is usually quickly slaughtered and not to mention fellow Brazilian Wesley

Wesley was slaughtered because he was shit nothing to do with being Brazilian 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

As he's a fictional character, his name could even be Bottom Latch from Swansea.

Irony is, the overwhelming majority of Villa Podcasters and analysts I listen to, all agree about Luiz in the 6 role, as well as our need for better there 

But he has an almost cult like following on here, who simply refuse to see his limitations, and/or role in poor performances from that area.

They'd rather blame every other player on the pitch, management and the club, before scrutinising him 😂.

And it usually comes down to " wEll iF a bRaZilIan OlyMpIc wInNeR isn't gOoD eNoUgh fOr uS tHeN i dEsPaIr " as if it's that cut and dried.

I've said many a time that I think Luiz is a good player, but he's not the player some are convinced he is IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 12:57, Zatman said:

based on what? The fact he is a one man midfield most of the times. On Sunday he made 2 tackles, 2 interceptions, had our highest passing stats and our only shot on target

one man midfield my rs.  mcginn is playing defensive midfield or right back 85% of the time.  granted Ramsey was poor against Newcastle but you can't say he hasn't been playing in other games.

50 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As he's a fictional character, his name could even be Bottom Latch from Swansea.

Irony is, the overwhelming majority of Villa Podcasters and analysts I listen to, all agree about Luiz in the 6 role, as well as our need for better there 

But he has an almost cult like following on here, who simply refuse to see his limitations, and/or role in poor performances from that area.

They'd rather blame every other player on the pitch, management and the club, before scrutinising him 😂.

And it usually comes down to " wEll iF a bRaZilIan OlyMpIc wInNeR isn't gOoD eNoUgh fOr uS tHeN i dEsPaIr " as if it's that cut and dried.

I've said many a time that I think Luiz is a good player, but he's not the player some are convinced he is IMO.

He’s not what Villa want or need in the 6 role. Will likely do well in another team with more possession, perhaps playing together with a dedicated ball winner. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He’s not what Villa want or need in the 6 role. Will likely do well in another team with more possession, perhaps playing together with a dedicated ball winner. 

I've said this in the past as well mate.

If he is to be the " Deep Lying playmaker " Pirlo esque as argued, he needs more protection around him.

He simply isn't an effective lone Premier league CDM by any stretch of the imagination.

If he did go to another team in the league and do better, it would probably because those teams have the players and system required around.

When it comes to our needs in the area and system, he's simply not.

He's much better when Nakamba is in as well. Wasn't one of his best games this season, when Nakamba was in the side, and he was a bit more advanced?

In my opinion, his talents are being totally wasted in the role people are trying to shoehorn him into.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This is what we're currently lacking, Nakamba as the Ball winner, Douglas Luiz as the Deep playmaker and Ramsey as the Box to Box is probably our best set up without having to bring anyone else in.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fixed for ya.

well said that man.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

This is what we're currently lacking, Nakamba as the Ball winner, Douglas Luiz as the Deep playmaker and Ramsey as the Box to Box is probably our best set up without having to bring anyone else in.

It does tickle me, this DLP or Deep lying playmaker.....when was this role introduced?....never heard the term years ago.....who did that then?...theres still only 11 players.

surely a CDM who can play, does the same role, defensive and offensive......a box to box midfielder does the same defensive and offensive.

It strikes me, he is a player, who sits deep waiting for the ball to be released by the Centre backs or full backs....and relies on them to win the ball back.....I just don't get the role, in way its being described.

in a 3 my thinking is   a CDM- CM- AM.....and thats it......all this DLP is ballony.

49 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Been saying this for a while(well Mcginn instead of Ramsey). But Smith was incredibly averse to playing Nakamba and Luiz together. It was always one or the other. Thankfully, Gerrard doesn't have such qualms

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

It does tickle me, this DLP or Deep lying playmaker.....when was this role introduced?....never heard the term years ago.....who did that then?...theres still only 11 players.

surely a CDM who can play, does the same role, defensive and offensive......a box to box midfielder does the same defensive and offensive.

It strikes me, he is a player, who sits deep waiting for the ball to be released by the Centre backs or full backs....and relies on them to win the ball back.....I just don't get the role, in way its being described.

in a 3 my thinking is   a CDM- CM- AM.....and thats it......all this DLP is ballony.

A deep-lying playmaker is a holding midfielder who specializes in ball skills such as passing, rather than defensive skills like tackling.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A deep-lying playmaker is a holding midfielder who specializes in ball skills such as passing, rather than defensive skills like tackling.

I know what it is purported to be.

but why in the definition, is defensive attributes listed towards that role? rather than as you allude to a kinda add on.......surely just playing pretty balls out is not enough, winning the ball and turning it over has to be a pre requisite in order to play out from that position......or are you suggesting someone has to do that for them?

My understanding of CDM is someone who can play out anyway.....Keane, Viera, Kante, Makalele, Essien, Fernandino, Fabinho, just loosely chosen......Where this notion has come from, that a CDM is a thug, I have no idea, but that is the impression some are peddling, its absolute rubbish.

It seems some of us are not arguing about the role, its about the quality of the role.....sure Whelan and Jedinak, were lower grade versions,(as an example) not being disrespectful......but that is not what we need.....we need a CDM with quality, who can play out with passing aplomb...would be nice to cut out aerial balls too.

I thought most folk who recognise we need a CDM, thought that anyway?

35 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

If you think about it, in Gerrard's system he is actually the most forward midfielder. 

Not with Ramsey playing. I think Ramsey’s attacking emergence has unsettled the early balance we had with a solid flat 3. Our staff are still trying to find the balance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Quite common to play with two defensive mids and they often have different roles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I am not sure that it is.  Against Newcastle for example we won the ball backs plenty of times.  The problem was that as soon as we won it back, their players pressed our defenders / midfielders hard and they kept panicking and just hoofing the ball back to the Newcastle defenders.  Ball retention was the problem against Newcastle not winning the ball back (and against Everton, and Leeds and the first half against Man Utd).

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

but why in the definition, is defensive attributes listed towards that role? rather than as you allude to a kinda add on.......surely just playing pretty balls out is not enough, winning the ball and turning it over has to be a pre requisite in order to play out from that position......or are you suggesting someone has to do that for them?

My understanding of CDM is someone who can play out anyway.....Keane, Viera, Kante, Makalele, Essien, Fernandino, Fabinho, just loosely chosen......Where this notion has come from, that a CDM is a thug, I have no idea, but that is the impression some are peddling, its absolute rubbish.

It seems some of us are not arguing about the role, its about the quality of the role.....sure Whelan and Jedinak, were lower grade versions,(as an example) not being disrespectful......but that is not what we need.....we need a CDM with quality, who can play out with passing aplomb...would be nice to cut out aerial balls too.

It was for Pirlo, who best describes the role of deep playmaker.  He had players around him that did the tackling for him.  Having players like Viera, Keane etc who could tackle AND play a Hollywood pass would be great, we don't have that currently.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lots of teams play with a double pivot. Kante usually plays with Jorginho, Rice and Phillips for England, Kimmich and Goretzka are maybe the best doing it at Bayern, and so on.

Villa use a single pivot and our midfield three is rather weighted towards attack, if you compare to many other teams.

• Like 1

Â