Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

57 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic here but I’m not exactly sure what people are getting worked up about. Article doesn’t seem to know anything except that they still have to do tests on him. Could turn out to be mere bruising and a good weeks rest is all he needs. Just have to wait until Emery speaks at the presser.

He is clearly injured and will definitely miss these next two crucial games which in itself is a disaster. Throw in the possibility of a long lay off and it becomes catastrophic given our lack of defensive depth.

Nightmare really, our most important remaining defender now out too. Watching Cash Cruyff turn and pass back and then point at positions on the pitch whilst checking his hair is in place will be painful viewing for these important games. Hopefully KKH proves he can offer something more in training and may get a chance as an alternative. 

Honestly our injuries at centre back this season have been a disaster. Signing Pau Torres in the summer and Diego Carlos back from injury with a preseason behind him we looked to have amazing depth at centre back.

BUT...Mings season ending freak injury on gameweek 1. Then Pau Torres, who was never injured really at Villareal, gets some kind of weird ankle injury that was supposed to be innocuous and only see him miss a couple of games but he has now missed nearly 2 months of the season, albeit not helped by bringing him on against Burnley which looks bloody stupid in hindsight if he wasn't ready (he is supposed to be back training with the group this week so I really hope he's ready to go straight back into the team given he's had a long time now to fully recover, we need him back without Konsa in there). And now Konsa could be out for ages. I don't even really know how Konsa got injured, smashing into the post, he didn't need to go flying at the ball from the set piece because we were cruising at 5-0 and it has now caused another God damn injury. And though Diego Carlos has been fit this season, he's not been convincing at all after his long lay off last season which makes me worried that Mings won't be the same player either. 

Last season we had a nasty injury to Diego Carlos at the start of the season but generally our centre backs stayed fit (Mings I think missed one game away at Man City where we had to play Chambers but generally Mings and Konsa were fit all season). The season before Konsa got injured towards the end of the season so we had to play Chambers again but that was only with 2-3 games left. Now with 15 games of the season to go, and fighting for a top 4 spot, we might have a big injury to Konsa which is just typical. And even though Cock Nose is a pr*ck, I also feel for Konsa's England chances because had he been called up to England next month he would have had a good chance of playing in at least one of the two friendlies.

I'm praying it's only a small injury. Everyone said that Spurs will have injuries all season because of the way they play and we will be able to keep players fit, well actually we seem to be picking up injuries left, right and centre currently while they have a pretty much fully fit team other than the players away on international duty. 

I thimk he's just taken a knock to his knee and it needs a bit of time to recover. It looked painful and I'm sure it's like a clash of knees, I had that in 5 a side and it was so painful, I had a bit of fluid leak out of the knee then but was fine in a week or two on anti inflamatories. 

I'm not too worried about it being a ligament, because his leg isn't extended and load bearing when the knee is jarred. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I thought it was just the odd game for Marseille as CB and majority of time was as DM?

The issue with moving Kamara to CB is that then means we need to move SJM and Luiz deeper so it's suddenly unbalancing our midfield and getting players to do jobs they used to do but haven't for a while as they're excellent in the new roles.

So basically 2-3 adjustments needed rather than playing the actual CBs you have. I think Lenglet-Carlos will be o.k enough v Forest and Fulham if Ez is out until March, it's just the Man. United game that is going to be an issue.

With Cash at right back this will impact our midfield anyway as BK will need to drop to make up the 3rd CB in possession without Konsa there as Cash is not good enough to do that. This then leaves us light in the CM area and we can struggle to progress the ball forward with BK so deep. At least with Youri in the side he can drop into midfield to give us the numbers but again we lose sole link up play going forward. 

Losing Konsa from RB impacts us more than losing him at CB imo. 

Edited by eholm

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

He is clearly injured and will definitely miss these next two crucial games which in itself is a disaster. Throw in the possibility of a long lay off and it becomes catastrophic given our lack of defensive depth.

Konsa missing the next two games, while not ideal, is not a "disaster", and if he's out for a month it's bad but not catastrophic.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Konsa missing the next two games, while not ideal, is not a "disaster", and if he's out for a month it's bad but not catastrophic.

Normally I'd agree, but without Mings and Pau, with the alternatives we have and our next 2 games being as big as they are, I would say it's at best, very bad news.

How do Man United always seem to get us at a bad time?

Edited by GlobalVillan

7 minutes ago, smg said:

“Lack of defensive depth” we probably have more depth at centre back than any other position in the squad and better than most other squads in the league.. Yes the players get weaker as you move down the 5 but Carlos and Lenglet still isn’t a disastrous option.

It's not a great pairing but the main concern is that defensive strength is usually borne out of playing together regularly as a back 5. 

Chopping and changing the centre backs rarely works well and when you are changing them from Konsa and Torres to Carlos and Lenglet, it's quite a drop off in my opinion.

Communication between the whole back line is essential especially the way we play out from the back. We have been generally poor without Torres. Without Konsa as well, I am worried about the next two games and especially Sunday. Couldn't have come at a worse time really.

12 minutes ago, smg said:

“Lack of defensive depth” we probably have more depth at centre back than any other position in the squad and better than most other squads in the league.. Yes the players get weaker as you move down the 5 but Carlos and Lenglet still isn’t a disastrous option.

Against weaker teams where we have majority of ball and chances it’s fine but against Chelsea and Man Utd it really isn’t ideal. 

Hopefully Pau can be fit for Man Utd and we can get past Chelsea with Carlos and Lenglet given Chelsea are appalling at the moment.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Hopefully Pau can be fit for Man Utd and we can get past Chelsea with Carlos and Lenglet given Chelsea are appalling at the moment.

Both games can and will be won on goals scored as obvious as may sound

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Just came to say this exact thing. Very much has the feel of two games that will end up high scoring, and it's whichever team can reliably put away the many chances they're going to get.

Playing Maguire and having no Martinez for United is very similar to us playing Carlos and having no Konsa.

I'd argue us losing Konsa is worse though as we don't have either of our two preferred left centre backs available, whilst they still have Dalot fit and seemingly in form.

We have had some shit luck this season with injuries, and although the stats seem too paint is having been rather fortunate, they don't reflect the importance of the players getting injured.  Really hope the Konsa news isn't a leak being made to warm us up to the idea of bad news and that it comes out he's only missing a couple of games.

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

As the chant used to go, F**K um off get Into um. F**k um off get into um 

Losing Konsa is a blow yet words like disaster are not accurate.

Lenglet and Carlos have to step-up in much the same way Konsa did when Mings was out. It's possible we (Villa) see them grasp the opportunity.

Villa have a great goalscoring record for the majority of the season and I'm sure we'll see a tweak in tactics to work on potentially out-scoring the opposition.

Pau Torres back in the next couple of games will help immensely too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic here but I’m not exactly sure what people are getting worked up about. Article doesn’t seem to know anything except that they still have to do tests on him. Could turn out to be mere bruising and a good weeks rest is all he needs. Just have to wait until Emery speaks at the presser.

He was literally shouting in pain when he was down injured.

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

As the chant used to go, F**K um off get Into um. F**k um off get into um 

I swear to god it was “come on the Villa, get into em”. I may have been young and naive then though. I miss that chant, I was thinking about it the other day.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Looked like he wanted to go back on against the physios judgement and then tweeted about the good result with no mention of injury

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, he looked in a lot of pain but seemed to recover. He’ll clearly be out for a bit, we just need to adapt and hope it’s not too long.

Â