Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

Potentially three centre-backs out injured yet we still have two established, experienced players who are playing on their correct side in Carlos and Lenglet.  Kamara, Chambers in reserve.

It doesn't seem that long ago that it was a half-fit James Chester and Jedinak as the pairing (with Hutton at left-back)!  

Even more recently it was Konsa, Mings, Hause.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are there more injuries nowadays, or are there more players, and therefore it seems like there's more injuries.

More players, alot more games, alot more intensity and yes more injuries because of that imo.

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are there more injuries nowadays, or are there more players, and therefore it seems like there's more injuries.

A bit of both me thinks.  Game is played at such a frenetic pace nowadays and sports science has these lads playing right at the maximum of their physical capabilities.  And, yes with the bigger squads it's not unusual to have 6-8 players out and still have a full bench.... 

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's also got a clanger in him every now and then

That best describes Carlos with his passes straight to opposition that led to goals

Fack...this is bad news. Was hoping it was just a knock for Kons and he'd shake it off but clearly not.

Carlos-Lenglet really struggled second half at Old Trafford.

One thing's for certain, we can not park our defence 40 yards up the pitch v them on Sunday as that's simply asking for trouble.

Need to adjust our usual tactics a bit as a draw isn't the worst result in the world (as it's not a given that Spurs will beat Brighton).

59 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We have someone that played 2 seasons at CB for Marseille but more likely to play Lenglet and Carlos

I thought it was just the odd game for Marseille as CB and majority of time was as DM?

The issue with moving Kamara to CB is that then means we need to move SJM and Luiz deeper so it's suddenly unbalancing our midfield and getting players to do jobs they used to do but haven't for a while as they're excellent in the new roles.

So basically 2-3 adjustments needed rather than playing the actual CBs you have. I think Lenglet-Carlos will be o.k enough v Forest and Fulham if Ez is out until March, it's just the Man. United game that is going to be an issue.

32 minutes ago, turvontour said:

In addition to what's already been said, higher intensity of play now means that players probably don't play while "carrying knocks" as much as they used to.

32 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It's the schedule. Players playing past mid June even in non tournament years.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I thought it was just the odd game for Marseille as CB and majority of time was as DM?

2018/19 28 games CB 4 games LB

2019/20 16 games CB 12 games DM

so more like season and a half at CB

45 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Been raised a lot on the YT channels that stopping for VAR is a culprit and the games having +10 mins added on

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fack...this is bad news. Was hoping it was just a knock for Kons and he'd shake it off but clearly not.

Carlos-Lenglet really struggled second half at Old Trafford.

One thing's for certain, we can not park our defence 40 yards up the pitch v them on Sunday as that's simply asking for trouble.

Need to adjust our usual tactics a bit as a draw isn't the worst result in the world (as it's not a given that Spurs will beat Brighton).

I hate to tell you but I think Unai will play the same even with Carlos and Lenglet!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

2018/19 28 games CB 4 games LB

2019/20 16 games CB 12 games DM

so more like season and a half at CB

Really interesting.

Was playing the CB position very young before he moved up to DM more regularly.

Maybe something we could see in europa if we have key CBs unavailable at same time.

3 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I hate to tell you but I think Unai will play the same even with Carlos and Lenglet!

I get we want to keep consistency in approach but to me it's really really asking for trouble giving Rashford and Garnacho 20-30 yards to run into against average pace CBs which Lenglet and Carlos are.

We've played Man. United four times under UE and they've beaten us three times. Decent number of their goals have come from a long diagonal played over our defence for one of their pacy front players to latch onto so they've shown they can expose our style in a way other teams can't quite.

A draw isn't a disaster for us on Sunday so personally I'd tweak things and be a little more conservative. We'll still create plenty with Bailey and Ollie against their backline.

• Like 1

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic here but I’m not exactly sure what people are getting worked up about. Article doesn’t seem to know anything except that they still have to do tests on him. Could turn out to be mere bruising and a good weeks rest is all he needs. Just have to wait until Emery speaks at the presser.

• Like 2

Â