Pre-Match thread

John

We welcome Derby County to Villa Park on Saturday (3pm). They seem to have hit the wall once again as the season draws towards its conclusion and are currently 2 points off the final play-off spot.

Our own season hit the buffers a month after we won 3-0 at Pride Park in early November. We have only accumulated 14 points from our last 14 games, having taken 31 points from our previous 20. Their season might still be reinvigorated by a couple of wins. 10 or 11 wins from our last 12 games would be needed to do the same for us!

Derby last won at Villa Park in 1988, but as this season has already too often proven, good records are there to be broken. Overall, we have won 62 and have drawn 23 of the 123 league meetings there have been between the two clubs.  

It would be nice to record our second league double of the season on Saturday afternoon. It would also be nice in doing so, to record our 2nd home win during what will have then been 3 long frustrating months. Is it too much to ask for a clean sheet as well? 15 draws are probably enough already, but another would be far better than a second successive depressing home defeat. Win it for us Villa!  

• Like 1

Having Elmohamady at right back tends to be a good thing for us results-wise this season.  We also picked up in the 2nd half against Stoke.  I can't actually say I'm confident here, because we can't buy a win at the moment.  But hopefully we've stopped the rot, which was always step one.  Just go out there and represent yourselves guys, for the love of McGrath.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Derby - Forest game is bubbling along nicely right now - with a bit of luck they'll arrive at Villa Park without a couple of suspended players.

No-one got sent off, we should be able to beat what’s in front of us, not rely on other’s misdemeanours 

Pressure is really starting to mount on Smith now, we need a bloody win mate.

If you want to manage your boyhood club next season we need to be seeing something positive in the remaining games of this season, unfortunately I just cant see a win in this game or any remaining game really. Not conceding the first goal would be a minor miracle in this game for a start.

• Like 1

McGinn still suspended, Grealish unlikely to start even if he's fit, Hutton, Chester, Tuanzebe, Lansbury all out. I think the team selection will be pretty straight forward.

If we are going to play two up front, I'd be tempted to get Davis on. He's a very good hold up player and would be more of a threat in the air that Kodija. He hasn't made the bench of last so he could be injured again? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

If you want to manage your boyhood club next season we need to be seeing something positive in the remaining games of this season, unfortunately I just cant see a win in this game or any remaining game really. Not conceding the first goal would be a minor miracle in this game for a start.

Well we aint winning at the sty the following week so I'd he fails to win this week as well that's two wins in fifthteen which is relegation form. 

53 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

McGinn still suspended, Grealish unlikely to start even if he's fit, Hutton, Chester, Tuanzebe, Lansbury all out. I think the team selection will be pretty straight forward.

If we are going to play two up front, I'd be tempted to get Davis on. He's a very good hold up player and would be more of a threat in the air that Kodija. He hasn't made the bench of last so he could be injured again? 

He was on Saturday. 

Edited by John

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Well we aint winning at the sty the following week so I'd he fails to win this week as well that's two wins in fifthteen which is relegation form. 

We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it, I don't want to write him off and assume we are going to lose games, lets see where we are at 6pm on Saturday and go from there.

I've got nothing against the bloke and want him to succeed here, the team isn't very good to be honest but he didn't exactly take over a sinking ship, we were playoff finalists last year and this current form we are in is a million miles away from that at the moment,

42 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it, I don't want to write him off and assume we are going to lose games, lets see where we are at 6pm on Saturday and go from there.

I've got nothing against the bloke and want him to succeed here, the team isn't very good to be honest but he didn't exactly take over a sinking ship, we were playoff finalists last year and this current form we are in is a million miles away from that at the moment,

It's hard to see us winning at the sty. They will be up for it and our players don't exactly play well in hostile environments. At best a point I think. As for Derby two out of form teams but I'd still put them as favourites based on how crap we been recently. Why we can't start a game ell and see it out for 90 minutes is beyond me. 

I wasn't expecting instant results from Smith but I was expecting a better points return at the very least. 

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I haven't heard DS talk about him, any idea of the injury or when he's expected to be back?

Yeah he has a injury hasn't settled down and Smith didn't elaborate how long he is out for. Another injury prone youngster. W ehavw. A load of them dont we? 

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

So you can't see us winning another game ??  Seriously? 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

And if pigs could fly, bacon could self deliver to your door. 

20 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Steer

Elmo        Mings    Hause     Taylor

Whelan

El Ghazi  Hourihane Grealish  Adomah

Abraham

Elphick out?

---------------------- Kalinic 

Elmo ------ Elphick -- Mings -------- Hause

------------------- Hourihane

Adomah -- Carroll -- Grealish ----- El Ghazi

------------------- Abraham