The Funny T Nebulous Independent Group Oxy Morons

ml1dch

12 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I don't really know to be honest. There's no majority for any sort of Brexit in parliament, and I feel this little breakaway is going to make a consensus less likely. 

Theresa May is stubborn enough to play the "My deal or no deal" game, so I think literally everything will be rejected and we'll leave with no deal. 

To the extent that Tory defections make a General Election more likely, it makes 'No Deal' marginally less likely, as it gives May a pretext to apply for an A50 extension. 

However, it's not clear whether there are other Tory defectors - what Clarke says about 'half a dozen' more is surprising, since most of the other likely names have ruled it out over the last 24 hours - and it's not clear whether the TIGger Tories are simply Tories but without the label, ie. it's not clear, until more voting happens, whether the government is actually closer to losing its majority. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

That's the Government Dem, not an opposition MP. Local MPs, particularly opposition ones can't actually do much, if anything, to prevent crime or help with that kind of thing.

They can argue your case to get more officers on the street and she has failed to do any thing of the sort. She promised us they wouldn't shut our a and e at chase farm hospital and would protest against it. 

Yet when the protests were happening she was no where to be seen and the closed the hospitals a and e. She did absolutely nothing for this area. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They can argue your case to get more officers on the street and she has failed to do any thing of the sort. She promised us they wouldn't shut our a and e at chase farm hospital and would protest against it. 

Yet when the protests were happening she was no where to be seen and the closed the hospitals a and e. She did absolutely nothing for this area. 

Have you seen this happen for any constituency that doesn't have a Tory MP?

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

None of he r promises in her leaflets she posted to us during her campaign 

Parties that don't win elections can't go through with their promises. This stuff really is politics 101 mate

They're not a bad thing. Labour is led by a lunatic and has lunatics who would be on the front bench should they ever win an election. I personally could never vote Tory. Lib Dems are an irrelevance with a leader who is absolutely ancient. Might be a giant waste of time but as some have pointed out here, they are the problem.

44 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Same here. I have no appetite to vote Tories, probably ever, nor a Corbyn led Labour party.

I think this is bigger than people will realise, or try and play down. These are (edit) NOT fringe MPs in their parties.

I'm interested to see where this goes as well.  I'd be most unlikely to ever vote Labour, and certainly never would while they have somebody like Corbyn in power,  but May's government has been an utter shambles.

• Like 4

From the bits and pieces I stumble across, Wollaston always came across as a fairly respectable moderate Tory, pro NHS, remainer at least. I mean as a Tory she obviously must have supported stuff I thoroughly disagree with, but I generally saw her as a fairly normal sort relatively speaking, from my increasingly disengaged stance on politics admittedly. Not sure what to make of the rest of them though. The scrutiny for some of the ex-labour lot is hardly flattering

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

To the extent that Tory defections make a General Election more likely, it makes 'No Deal' marginally less likely, as it gives May a pretext to apply for an A50 extension. 

I'm not even sure it makes a general election that much more likely.

Are these eleven going to be thrilled by having to re-fight their seats as independent candidates that quickly? The eight former Labour MPs, are they going to want to bring about the possible Corbyn Government that they decided that they couldn't stomach, or even an increased Conservative working majority?

I'm not saying the eleven definitely wouldn't back a no-confidence motion, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that they would.

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm not even sure it makes a general election that much more likely.

Are these eleven going to be thrilled by having to re-fight their seats as independent candidates that quickly? The eight former Labour MPs, are they going to want to bring about the possible Corbyn Government that they decided that they couldn't stomach, or even an increased Conservative working majority?

I'm not saying the eleven definitely wouldn't back a no-confidence motion, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that they would.

No, it absolutely doesn't suit these guys at all. They have no infrastructure in place. They would in all likelihood be completely wiped out. 

It's May whose interests it might serve, and Labour couldn't oppose it. 

EDIT: Heavy emphasis on 'might' there. I'm not predicting it, as such, but if these three vote against all government business that really doesn't give May much to work with at all. As it happens, I think the message of the press conference they just gave is that these three probably aren't going to be consistent opposition votes, so the maths might not be so urgent for May yet. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The lack of support for the protest is a fair enough criticism though one would have to review any promise made not to close an A&E dept. given that it is not in your local MP's power to close it or keep it open.

I'm not sure that individual MPs can have much of an impact on police numbers on the beat.

Operational policing decisions for Enfield are the responsibility of the Met Police Commissioner and strategic oversight is down to the Mayor's Office.

Edited by snowychap
missed apostrophe

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The lack of support for the protest is a fair enough criticism though one would have to review any promise made not to close an A&E dept. given that it is not in your local MPs power to close it or keep it open.

I'm not sure that individual MPs can have much of an impact on police numbers on the beat.

Operational policing decisions for Enfield are the responsibility of the Met Police Commissioner and strategic oversight is down to the Mayor's Office.

Sadly your right with some of those points but she writes in it her manifesto each yeah to win our votes. 

With regards to our a and e she said she would fight tooth and nail to try keep it open but was no where to be seen. She let us down badly. I can't stand her. 

Don't get me started Don the current London mayor absolute rocket polisher he is

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Sadly your right with some of those points but she writes in it her manifesto each yeah to win our votes. 

With regards to our a and e she said she would fight tooth and nail to try keep it open but was no where to be seen. She let us down badly. I can't stand her. 

Don't get me started Don the current London mayor absolute rocket polisher he is

Have you looked at what she did in Parliament, what questions she asked, or what meetings / conversations she had with the relevant bodies / people?

Being on a protest for an MP is just a showing your face thing, it's what they do behind the scenes that is their real work not a photo op.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Have you looked at what she did in Parliament, what questions she asked, or what meetings / conversations she had with the relevant bodies / people?

Being on a protest for an MP is just a showing your face thing, it's what they do behind the scenes that is their real work not a photo op.

Like I said earlier she said she would be at the protests and did not appear at one(there was loads). If your local mp cared about a cause so much  she would have attended if you were really passionate about it. 

Look it up if you dobt believe me and of course I have she really says anything constructive when she mentions anything. I much prefer David lammy he cares about his local community not like like this fool. 

On the company/party issue, this is what the donations policy page on their website says:

Gemini A Limited is a company registered in England and Wales, under number 11770529.

The purpose of the company is to provide support and assistance to independent MPs who have decided to sit as The Independent Group of MPs in the House of Commons.

The company is neither a political party nor a non-party campaigner, as such terms are used by the Electoral Commission in accordance with the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 (PPERA).

Despite that, the company wishes only to accept donations that would meet the legal requirements set out in PPERA for donations. For these purposes, a donation means any of the following:

1 any gift of money or other property

2 any sponsorship provided in relation to the company

3 any subscription or other fee paid for affiliation to the company

4 any money spent (otherwise than by or on behalf of the company) in paying any expenses incurred directly or indirectly by the company

5 the provision otherwise than on commercial terms of any property, services or facilities for the use or benefit of the company (including the services of any person)

Equally, the company will only accept donations that could be made to a party, namely from one of the following:

The company will publish accounts regularly indicating all donations received in the previous 3 month period in excess of £500 (or such other sum as it would be required to publish were it a party controlled by PPERA).

• Like 1

Â