The Funny T Nebulous Independent Group Oxy Morons

ml1dch

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I get that you're joking, but obviously the left of the Labour party and the right of the Conservative party do disagree, about lots of things. It's a mark of how little that boilerplate says that they would find very little to disagree with in it. I don't think it can be used as evidence of them 'explaining why they're different', as @PompeyVillan mentioned. 

Yeah I was jesting. Of course the left and right disagree about all sorts. But I've yet to read or hear of a party's ethos or manifesto or whatever that says

"Unlike the other side, who say they will create opportunity, fairness, higher standards, peace and scientific progress, we pledge to remove life chances, oppress the lazy, namby pamby population of the UK and ruin our relationships with the rest of the world - vote Evil"

Actually, I take that back. I just found out Boris Johnson did 2 versions of the tory manifesto, and that was in the one that didn't get used. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, peterms said:

Please, make it stop.

It's not actually true though. Watch the way he interviews Brexiteers and the way he interviews Remainers, he never goes in with the supplemental questions and pushes the Brexiteers. In fact, it's the first time I've seen him do that in ages.

It's also coming from the man who wrote the book Corbyn. They've left, he and Labour should be trying to fix the problems that led to the eight leaving, much as Tom Watson suggested in this very programme. I notice he's not commenting on what Watson said, he's deflecting that with his tweet

On 26/02/2019 at 10:52, ml1dch said:

That 18% translates to around 78 MP’s according to another chart I saw 

they've only got 12 politicians  haven’t they ?

Edited by tonyh29

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

That 18% translates to around 78 MP’s according to another chart I saw 

they've only got 12 politicians  haven’t they ?

Hard to see what these polls prove, really, except that these MP's are likely to benefit from Labour voters crossing over rather than Tories in their constituencies. 

Until they become an actual party, with members who aren't currently in Parliament, they are not going to be competing in more than 12 constituencies, which suggests that polls which include them aren't very instructive yet. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hard to see what these polls prove, really, except that these MP's are likely to benefit from Labour voters crossing over rather than Tories in their constituencies. 

Until they become an actual party, with members who aren't currently in Parliament, they are not going to be competing in more than 12 constituencies, which suggests that polls which include them aren't very instructive yet. 

That’s true, ukips used to get whatever, 30% sometimes in some polls and they hardly won a seat. But their popularity in the polls was enough to turn the 2 main parties first off their previous courses, then completely mad.

55 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s true, ukips used to get whatever, 30% sometimes in some polls and they hardly won a seat. But their popularity in the polls was enough to turn the 2 main parties first off their previous courses, then completely mad.

UKIP did have a candidate in most / all seats and came second in the local council elections didn’t they ? So it kinda “justifed” the poll showing and the need for the big 2 to change course 

IAG  I assume are only a threat cause of Mays lack of majority , in much the way the DUP are a “threat” to her ?

That poll thingy from the election group predicts 348 seats for the Tory party even on a reduced 36%  ( compared to their 42% and 318 seats in 2016 )

but as Hanoi says maybe it’s assuming TIG are going to become a proper party at some point 

Edited by tonyh29

I think it's early days yet, there could be more resignations and if more Tories jump ship then expect them to impact the Tory vote too. They already seemingly have had an impact on the LibDem vote, eventually, they might actually wipe them out. There are a few ideological LibDem voters but the vast majority vote LibDem because they aren't Tory or Labour. If TIG is to make an impact, they have to take votes from both sides, they are dead in the water if they are just taking the more centrist Labour votes. That is one of the reasons the SDP ultimately failed, the Tory voters stuck with the Tories in the main.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Loving this fresh wind of change blowing through British politics

And in fairness there's a lot less of them now to think it was a mistake, and you've got to take that into account as well.

• Like 3

'So Gapes, you think the Iraq War was great? Okay, you're on foreign policy. Smith, you're very obviously in the pocket of privatised water monopolies - have a go at environment'. Glad to see they've picked briefs that match their strengths. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â