The Funny T Nebulous Independent Group Oxy Morons

ml1dch

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you mean you have different views, you should join in more. I think we have a fairly diverse range of backgrounds and locations. Hell we're even nice to the shandy drinker from Surrey (sometimes), I've even shared a few pints with him in various pubs over the years, same goes for Risso too. Both have very different outlooks on bolitics to me. Different opinions is good

While that's true there is still a bit of the old sweeping 'all Tories are evil/scum' or whatever from a couple of posters that probably puts people off.

Either way, Heidi Allen is hot.  I only know a bit about a few of the others but I can think of a few MPs that I respect that I can see joining.  Hopefully it turns into a proper movement as I know quite a few people who have wanted a centrist alternative, having been left behind by both parties.

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

For all the ridicule, does anyone think there's a chance that this could shake things up a bit and threaten the two party system we're currently in?

I think it depends how long it lasts, who else joins and whether they actually coalesce in to a party or just stay a grouping of independents.

What happens after next week's vote or non-vote might give an idea. Maybe the likes of Grieve or Letwin could walk? Boles, too.

To your question, then, there is a chance but probably not that much of one. We could well be in quite new territory, though.

Opportunely, I'm off to a talk given by David Owen next Friday night called 'Hubris. The Road to Trump. Power, Populism and Narcissism'. I'm guessing he's rewriting it as we speak.

What are they hoping to achieve? Will they organise themselves in time to actually oppose Brexit? Otherwise...

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Finally a party that returns us to the traditional centrist values of David Cameron.

Is that all this is? No thanks.

46 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

For all the ridicule, does anyone think there's a chance that this could shake things up a bit and threaten the two party system we're currently in?

One interesting thing about the Scottish Independence vote was the surge in interest in politics from people who were previously disengaged.  That was different in that it was a more positive campaign than the Brexit stuff has been, and there was a vibrancy about it that the current UK climate doesn't reflect.

That has died back a bit of course, and party memberships have fallen back a bit.  But when you have to move a party political meeting because three times as many people have turned up as the room can hold, you know something unusual is happening.

There's been a sense for some time that traditional party loyalties have been weakening, and the current splits partly reflect that.

Back when the SDP split happened, there was much talk of breaking the mould of politics and so on.  Some enthusiasm, less than Scottish indy but more than the pretty negative stuff around Brexit.  Some people really thought it was the death knell of traditional party politics, but it wasn't.

The current situation is probably a shaking up, but not something which fundamentally threatens the current system.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think you mean you have different views, you should join in more. I think we have a fairly diverse range of backgrounds and locations. Hell we're even nice to the shandy drinker from Surrey (sometimes), I've even shared a few pints with him in various pubs over the years, same goes for Risso too. Both have very different outlooks on bolitics to me. Different opinions is good

Notice how he said shared rather than bought. :) 

but yeah echo that really , I’ve enjoyed a few discussions and pints with the 2 (ex posters) Ian’s over the years regardless of slight differences of opinion in Bolitic related matters 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So it appears that Brexiter Ian Austin has resigned from Labour last night and will be joining the Tiggers this morning. Really struggling to see this having much coherence now; Soubry couldn't have been clearer yesterday that this is not about austerity for her, only about Brexit, in which case what exactly is the position on Brexit that can please both of them?

Rumoured further joiners in the near future include Margaret Hodge and John Mann. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

So it appears that Brexiter Ian Austin has resigned from Labour last night and will be joining the Tiggers this morning. Really struggling to see this having much coherence now; Soubry couldn't have been clearer yesterday that this is not about austerity for her, only about Brexit, in which case what exactly is the position on Brexit that can please both of them?

Rumoured further joiners in the near future include Margaret Hodge and John Mann. 

Even with a few more members, it will remain a tinge group.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh Jesus Christ.  Literally nothing could make me turn against a project more quickly than Hodge's involvement.  The most disgraceful MP in recent history, bar none.

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder what they're going to call this new 'centrist' party? How about... The Social Democrats? What could possibly go wrong? 

Ch-Ch- Chukka Vision.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â