The Funny T Nebulous Independent Group Oxy Morons

ml1dch

28 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Seven becomes eight...

Utterly predictable.  Another waste of space.

The usual thing is to aim for a constant stream of high profile resignations over several days, with a few lower profile ones to fill the hours and maintain the momentum.  They managed this much more effectively in a previous attack on Corbyn.  This all seems a bit amateur by comparison.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ian Austin appears to be mulling quitting the party, which poses an interesting dilemma if he wants to join this group, since he's a Leaver. 

Can't see how he could join this group being a Leaver

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ian Austin appears to be mulling quitting the party, which poses an interesting dilemma if he wants to join this group, since he's a Leaver. 

If you can let me have his address, I'll arrange the taxi.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but this is just the shittest argument:

She won her seat by a 1,000 vote margin in 2015, and won it again - against the same opponent, no less - by a 10,000 vote margin in 2017. The notion that her constituents hated Labour's manifesto so much that they elected her to oppose it from within the party is one of the most creatively dumb ideas I've heard. 

Just stick to 'we elect representatives, not parties' FFS. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I guess it depends what the purpose of the group is. 

If this ex Labour mob are happy to welcome the likes of Soubry with open arms then it is clear they had no place being in the Labour party but you do have to wonder, aside from Brexit perhaps, where they are going to find much common ground.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sorry, but this is just the shittest argument:

She won her seat by a 1,000 vote margin in 2015, and won it again - against the same opponent, no less - by a 10,000 vote margin in 2017. The notion that her constituents hated Labour's manifesto so much that they elected her to oppose it from within the party is one of the most creatively dumb ideas I've heard. 

Just stick to 'we elect representatives, not parties' FFS. 

It was never meant to be an argument, nor an intellectually convincing one.

It's just a form of words to use in reply to the obvious question why they want a vote on Brexit, which people voted for, but not on them defecting, which people obviously didn't vote for.

It's meant to bridge those few seconds between "Can I press you on that" and "and now we have to go to the weather".  Nothing more.

Soubry - l'll believe it when I see it.

Austin - his joining will just confirm the nature of the group as anti-Corbyn protest group with no actual positions on anything. Fits in nicely with the parade of nobodies though.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

If this ex Labour mob are happy to welcome the likes of Soubry with open arms then it is clear they had no place being in the Labour party but you do have wonder, aside from Brexit perhaps, where they are going to find much common ground.

They currently say that they plan to form a party, but as you say, to do that is to expose the fact that the people in the group have somewhat different politics (which would be stretched much further by either or both of Austin and Soubry) so they will delay that part for as long as feasibly possible I imagine, and enjoy the fun part, which is creating this drip-drip of negative headlines over multiple news cycles. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They currently say that they plan to form a party, but as you say, to do that is to expose the fact that the people in the group have somewhat different politics (which would be stretched much further by either or both of Austin and Soubry) so they will delay that part for as long as feasibly possible I imagine, and enjoy the fun part, which is creating this drip-drip of negative headlines over multiple news cycles. 

It sounds like the plan was grander, to have more people, and more serious people rather than this ragbag of nomarks.  And the performance of their chosen stars won't have helped. 

Imagine claiming being driven out by antisemitism, when a Jewish Labour group reports 0.8% of Labour members being accused of antisemitic sentiments over several years, but in your own little clique, 14% of members demonstrate racist views within hours of the launch.  Oops!

What is annoying about this whole thing is that Jews are once again being used a scapegoat by people like Joan Ryan and Smith as to why they are leaving Labour, who are as far from in support of cleaning up the Labour party as possible. This again leads more antisemitic idiots to come creeping out of the woodwork from left leaning groups to counter them.

If Corbyn had dealt with this issue properly from the get go none of this would have happened. Instead he's looked away when people like Luciana Berger and Louise Ellman get horribly insulted and degraded.

6 hours ago, peterms said:

I wonder Peter, do you look at the Twitter posts you're consistently posting on here with a critical eye? Have you done your research about the people behind Electronicintifada and the groups that you so gladly seem to want to spread the words of? Taking the words of Asa Winstanly seriously is about as bad as taking Donald Trump or Netanyahu's tweets seriously.

Joan Ryan is a right wing populistic nutter. Asa Winstanly is a left wing Rothchild conspiracy theory loving propaganda machine.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Here's an example of the kind of stuff regularly chucked at Luciana Berger by verifiable members of her own CLP

The person sending the tweet is last years Liverpool Lord Mayor and still a current councillor, who has been exposing some of the comments for a long time. Yes I know this is the Jewish Chronical and I do have some sympathy for the animosity towards Labour Friends of Israel but the remark itself crosses the line of acceptability by some huge distance

I wonder where Jenny Formby is on this one - my guess is that it's on the bottom of the pile because her staff is too stressed to deal with people too close to Corbyn. 

Â