Racism Part two

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, veloman said:

That argument was put to me by an Indian (Sikh) who I used to work with, sadly a Wolves fan. I asked him why there weren't more Asian footballers; he rerckoned it was because the (Indian) families wanted their boys to be in the Professions;- Doctors, Lawyers, Acoountants etc. Nothing to do with racism incidentally.

I agree with this. Maybe not always to become professionals but the fact they don’t want kids to neglect studies too much to the extent that they have nothing to fall back on if didn’t make it in to football.  Big risk. You have to put a hell of a lot of time in to the game to make it at a high level and not many do.

There’s probably an element of racism too but I think the main reason is education. 

• 1 month later...

I was training a new guy at work this week. On our first day we got to talking about the job market. He said "Young people don't like to work." (He's in his late 50s). He continued, "They get out of school, make a little African-American money and just stop working." I asked him.what he meant by that, and he said "N****r money." Nonsensical and deeply racist and ignorant. I didn't say anything because I had to be glued to him for two days. I suppose I could report it, but I'm not a snitch. I can manage working with him. I know what he is.

In my lifetime, I've heard racial slurs a handful of times in conversation and I'm always left feeling totally deflated. This guy thought I'd approve of his statement. It's mind boggling. The casual nature of it, and that it came out of the blue will haunt me for some time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I was training a new guy at work this week. On our first day we got to talking about the job market. He said "Young people don't like to work." (He's in his late 50s). He continued, "They get out of school, make a little African-American money and just stop working." I asked him.what he meant by that, and he said "N****r money." Nonsensical and deeply racist and ignorant. I didn't say anything because I had to be glued to him for two days. I suppose I could report it, but I'm not a snitch. I can manage working with him. I know what he is.

In my lifetime, I've heard racial slurs a handful of times in conversation and I'm always left feeling totally deflated. This guy thought I'd approve of his statement. It's mind boggling. The casual nature of it, and that it came out of the blue will haunt me for some time. 

I’d report the shit out of him. Sounds like a right word removed

• Like 4

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I was training a new guy at work this week. On our first day we got to talking about the job market. He said "Young people don't like to work." (He's in his late 50s). He continued, "They get out of school, make a little African-American money and just stop working." I asked him.what he meant by that, and he said "N****r money."

Have you any idea what he was referencing?

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

This guy thought I'd approve of his statement. It's mind boggling.

It's staggering how they assume that every white person thinks like them. When we bought our first house we got a couple of quotes to fit a central heating system. The first guy that came round was from a fairly large company. As he sat there doing his calculations he held forth on the neighbourhood, how we were lucky to be in the "slightly nicer part, well away from the Pakis". We kicked him out, and told him we wouldn't even consider his company and not to bother sending in his quote. He seemed quite bewildered by our reaction. 

They're thick as pigshit. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d report the shit out of him. Sounds like a right word removed

It's a little tricky where I am and some of the interpersonal, political and workplace dynamics that would fall directly on me as a consequence. In the tiny community where I live and work it's sometimes just easier to keep your mouth shut. If it becomes a regular thing, I'll just have a word with the guy directly and tell him to stop it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

It's a little tricky where I am and some of the interpersonal, political and workplace dynamics that would fall directly on me as a consequence. In the tiny community where I live and work it's sometimes just easier to keep your mouth shut. If it becomes a regular thing, I'll just have a word with the guy directly and tell him to stop it.

In an ideal world, you could gently question his views. Politely disagree, and show him that there are better ways to look at the world. I guess it depends on where he is on a scale from 'misguided and uneducated' to 'rabid psycho beyond redemption'. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In an ideal world, you could gently question his views. Politely disagree, and show him that there are better ways to look at the world. I guess it depends on where he is on a scale from 'misguided and uneducated' to 'rabid psycho beyond redemption'. 

He's just a typical redneck Mainer. Essentially harmless, an otherwise fairly affable guy but just very insular, untraveled, unread and ignorant. 

He's too backward to know how egregious the comment was. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

He's just a typical redneck Mainer. Essentially harmless, an otherwise fairly affable guy but just very insular, untraveled, unread and ignorant. 

He's too backward to know how egregious the comment was. 

Then the optimist in me says that he's not irredeemable. Overt hostility (or dismissal/disciplinary action) would almost certainly have completely the wrong effect, and merely entrench his views still further. Teach by example (if you can stand it). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Speaking as a manager of a team. I’d want someone on my team to report that to me so I could get rid of them asap. It’s gross misconduct in any business.

There’s no place for it in a modern workplace and on a personal level I just don’t want that kind of person on my team. It’s just not fair for everyone else to be subjected to that kind of attitude.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Maybe interesting maybe not but saw the gossip rags with rumblings over Harry Styles speech at the grammys where he uttered "this doesn't happen to people like me very often"

I get him saying it as someone who is from a broken home at the ass end of redditch winning best album in americas biggest music awards it doesn't happen to people like him

However the American reaction has been he's a white male it happens to people like him every year and have accused him of white privelage

Think it's a snapshot of how America is compared to the UK and I would probably be in the same boat as him, if I won a Grammy after growing up on a council estate in kiddy I would still consider it pretty spectacular without necessarily taking in to consideration the struggles of how Beyonce got there

Beyonce is full of shit anyway. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Maybe interesting maybe not but saw the gossip rags with rumblings over Harry Styles speech at the grammys where he uttered "this doesn't happen to people like me very often"

I get him saying it as someone who is from a broken home at the ass end of redditch winning best album in americas biggest music awards it doesn't happen to people like him

However the American reaction has been he's a white male it happens to people like him every year and have accused him of white privelage

Think it's a snapshot of how America is compared to the UK and I would probably be in the same boat as him, if I won a Grammy after growing up on a council estate in kiddy I would still consider it pretty spectacular without necessarily taking in to consideration the struggles of how Beyonce got there

Although Beyonce grew up solidly middle class with well to do parents.

I've read there is some debate in England about where exactly Styles fits in the English class system..

I think some people look at him and see straight, Anglo white male and just assume his struggles were never a significant barrier to achievement. 

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

Although Beyonce grew up solidly middle class with well to do parents.

I've read there is some debate in England about where exactly Styles fits in the English class system..

I think some people look at him and see straight, Anglo white male and just assume his struggles were never a significant barrier to achievement. 

I think you have to look at the statistics. I'd guess (don't have the data to hand) that your chances of success - whether you define that as financial or simply not being at risk of violence - are on average - better if you're white-skinned rather than brown. 

But there are obviously other factors - class, location, family circumstances, etc. Would you rather be a poor white working-class kid on a sink estate, or a middle-class black kid with a private education? 

There's always more to it than ethnicity, but ethnicity still matters (sadly). 

Award ceremonies might as well be scrapped now. Every one brings accusations of racism/sexism/privilege/patriarchy/hegemony now if people don't win or aren't nominated. They are not fit for purpose anymore, if they ever were. 

• Like 2

Not sure what's going on here but it doesn't seem to have any trigger, at least in the article. Wonder if it's down to just unlawfulness or whether it's has a right wing group behind it

Knowsley: Three arrested after protest at Merseyside asylum seeker hotel

"Three people have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder following clashes outside a Merseyside hotel providing refuge for asylum seekers."

Â